Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Fins for fly fishing

I am trying to find fins for fly fishing and so far I have not found products to my liking. I want to fish with just my bootys in the fin and most products look like they will chafe the booty and wreck my waders. Does anyone know of a product that fixes this problem? I was thinking of looking at dive shops, maybe?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I am trying to find fins for fly fishing and so far I have not found products to my liking. I want to fish with just my bootys in the fin and most products look like they will chafe the booty and wreck my waders. Does anyone know of a product that fixes this problem? I was thinking of looking at dive shops, maybe?
Go to a dive shop get a good set of full boot split fins better for the wadders and easier on the legs.

H
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM

http://www.forcefin.com/category/52.html
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Make sure you use wading boots with your booties not just the booties by themselves. If you are considering the scuba fins option, bring your wading boots to the shop with you to make sure they fit over the wading boots.

P
Old 10-31-2010, 09:07 PM

I was thinking that I would buy a set of neoprene deck boots to go over the bootys. Wearing wading boots looks cumbersome. I can't imagine wearing wading boots to be either efficient or comfortable?!?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I was thinking that I would buy a set of neoprene deck boots to go over the bootys. Wearing wading boots looks cumbersome. I can't imagine wearing wading boots to be either efficient or comfortable?!?
I just wear my wadder bootys inside a pair of full boot (solid foot style) split fins my wadders are neoprene. Way to uncomfortable with wadding boots.Have been doing this for two years now with no problem.

H
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

I've just worn big dive fins (strap behind the heel) over my neoprene waders (no boot) for 25 years. Never a problem. Dive fins will give you more power than force fins (good for fighting against a strong wind).
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 PM

I tried all sorts of fins this summer, fianally set on the force fins, they work great a biy pricey .
Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 PM

Dive fins will displace more water but force fins do a hell of lot of the work for you (which is what they were designed for) meaning less tired legs at the end of the day. I personally prefer the force fins over the diver fins.

Not sure why someone would want to wear their neoprene booties inside of wading boots? Doesn't make sense to me. Why wear the booties at all? Unless you're talking neoprene socks? BTW, I have the River Rats booties and they fit perfect in this style of force fins.

Also, Don't buy the force fin knock offs. They are made of a different material and do not perform any where near how real force fins do. Real force fins snap back into shape, the knock offs slip back into shape in comparison.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 AM

I just re-read the first post. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that you just want to wear the stocking in the fins? Not the smartest idea although I have seen it done and usually by those using dive fins. Problem is when you need to get to shore for some reason (bathroom or the float tube is leaking air maybe) and you can't maneuver with fins on at the shore you've chosen to beach at, you can wreck your waders by stepping on any number of things. The booties are the way to go.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 11-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I just re-read the first post. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong), that you just want to wear the stocking in the fins? Not the smartest idea although I have seen it done and usually by those using dive fins. Problem is when you need to get to shore for some reason (bathroom or the float tube is leaking air maybe) and you can't maneuver with fins on at the shore you've chosen to beach at, you can wreck your waders by stepping on any number of things. The booties are the way to go.

Cheers,
Doc
Ive been useing just the stockings and full foot dive fins for two years and had no problem a lot more comfortable an stockings and boots.Always carry an old pair of tennis shoes if you have to get out on sharp rocks.

H
Old 11-01-2010, 12:21 AM

Ya, if you've got the extra storage for a pair of old shoes, that would work too.