Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 08:50 AM

Default Circle Hooks on Tip-ups?

Can anyone share their experiences using circle hooks with smelts, anchovies or sardines on tip-ups for pike. I know they are popular in salt water but haven't heard of anyone trying them for ice fishing. Would seem to be a logical use for that style of hook.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

I dont fish for pike, but I have used circle hooks on tip-ups for burbot with good success.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:05 PM

I have been trying them for a while now. They work pretty good as long as you can refrain from trying to set the hook when they hit the lure. They are designed to allow the fish to take the hook but you do not set it. Soon as it tries to swim away it will lip hook on its own. This is why I use them for Jack as you are not trying to remove it from half way down it's throat. Caught a nice size jack in Feb and just let him take it and soon as he did his run I had him and when I pulled him out the hole he was hooked in the corner of his mouth. I have only been using them once in awhile to test them out, but plan on using them a lot more this summer.

Now for tip ups as there is no drag per say like a reel it might be a problem and might allow the pike to spit it out no?

Last edited by javlin101; 03-28-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 PM

Baitrunner spool is best for a circle hook the are realky good when fish are swollowing the bait deep
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Circle hooks for pike

Javlin: that's exactly why I thought they might work well - hook 'em in the corner of the mouth rather than away down in the gills. Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPman View Post
Javlin: that's exactly why I thought they might work well - hook 'em in the corner of the mouth rather than away down in the gills. Thanks
Ya, let me know how it works out for you. Just waiting for May 14th and kiddy up.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 PM

I tried circle hooks this year and didn't have good look with them. The first two fish were hooked perfectly but then I missed the next four. I waited till after they ran with it but it just pulled out of there mouth. I didn't set the hook but maybe it was caught on the bait still.

Not worth missing that many fish to me though, I usually only deeply hook one fish a year that shoudln't be released with a quickstrike rig.