Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Default Painting Aluminum Boat?

Hey There,
I am going to be getting an Aluminum boat fairly soon! I want to re-paint it, first I will use a wire brush and strip the paint, then prime with yellow etching primer from canadian tire, but my question is what paint do I use? I want it to be as cheap as possible! Can I use any spray paint since I primed it?

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM

I just did my boat. You have to make sure the paints and primers you usedo not have copper in them!!
I tried a paint stripper gel I got at home hardware and spread it over the paint and let it sit then took it to the car wash and all the paint came right off. It will save you a lot of time. The paint I got is from napa and it's marine paint so it is safe to use. I did one coat of primer followed by two coats of black and then clear. I'll post some pics later.

Remember NO COPPER- it will pit the aluminum once it's in the water
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM

You might want to pick up a lead testing kit before you start grinding away at the paint. Lead poisoning isn't something to screw around with.

Also, grinding paint off IF its still holding well will be a pretty major task. I would pick up some paint stripper and do it OUTDOOR's. That crap is NASTY.

You might want to inspect the previous paintjob before you strip the paint. If its holding well you can just give it a very light wet sand to knock any loose paint/debris off and then re-prime and paint right over the old coat. Paint on aluminum boats helps seal leaky rivets so adding another coat on top might be a better plan depending on the circumstances.

As far as paint and primer. The yellow zinc chromate etching primer like you said is the stuff to go with.
I've heard of people having good results using rustoleum paints (from a can, not a spray can) WITH proper prep.

Remember if you dont spend the time to prep your boat properly, your paint wont stick.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Your wire brush may gouge the alum. I used a sander with 120 grit to take off the paint when I did my dads old sears 12 ft. You will need to sand the alum smooth no matter what before your prime and paint. I wouldnt use spray bombs. I am a bodyman so I had the tools and access to primers, paint and a booth. Do you have a compressor? if so go buy a cheap paint gun at princess auto and then go buy a litre of paint at a bodyshop supply store. I know you want to keep the costs down but if the paint peels, your doing it all over.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
I just did my boat. You have to make sure the paints and primers you usedo not have copper in them!!
I tried a paint stripper gel I got at home hardware and spread it over the paint and let it sit then took it to the car wash and all the paint came right off. It will save you a lot of time. The paint I got is from napa and it's marine paint so it is safe to use. I did one coat of primer followed by two coats of black and then clear. I'll post some pics later.

Remember NO COPPER- it will pit the aluminum once it's in the water
So you washed all the old paint down the drain to save some time? Well done.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM

No, he took it to the car wash to save time.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Take a chill pill buddy. Think about all the other crap that goes down the carwash drain...soap, wax, roadsalt, etc, etc.

Not to mention the paint that came off had to go SOMEWHERE and I'd rather see it go down the drain into the sewage/waste water treatment system than see it drain into a natural water source.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Ever spray down your engine bay? That's what I thought...
Car washes get much worse in them than paint chips.