Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Fisheries Round Table in Medicine Hat

Terry Clayton, Fisheries Biologist with Alberta Fish and Wildlife, will be holding a meeting at the Beyond Walls School on Wednesday night, March 28 at 8PM. The purpose of the meeting is to give anglers an opportunity to provide Terry with ideas for angling regulation changes and ways to improve fisheries in the Medicine Hat area. Terry will not be giving a formal presentation, but instead will try to answer questions from those anglers present.

Beyond Walls school is at 1008A Allowance Ave (it looks more like a business than a school). It's by the overpass and REDI Enterprises. (Also across the street from the Outdoorsman sporting goods store).
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Hopefully someone who attends can make some suggestions on how to improve 40 mile as a solid fishery again.

From what I have heard, That place used to be a solid fishery and has gone down hill big time over the past 5-7 years.

I won't be able to make it I don't think but hope that there is a big turn out.

Thanks for posting this up here Bloom.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:18 AM

That solid fishery used to be closed(0-limit on walleye). Was opened to 1 fish over 55 just like ridge(and opened at the same time also). I think both are not to bad yet. Not as good after being open for awhile but that would be fairly normal(as is Ridge). Has been open only about that long 7yrs or so. Have you fished 40 mile much Nate?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM

thanks for the info.Bloom...I can't attend,but i sure hope that someone asks about Dipping Vat lake.This was at one time going to be a Quality Lk.Fishery,now it's a slough looking for some friends.Back in it's hay days this little lk.,used to produce 8-10lb fish.This was before the tripoloids came about.Which says ,that it has lotsa food for the fish,very little fishing pressure..thanks again Bloom..I'll be at the Prov.Rnd TBL.Mtg. in Red Deer in april..

Last edited by tallieho; 03-23-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 AM

I for one am pretty satisfied with the fisheries around Medicine hat....

Forty mile lake is a mystery on why the fish seem to not get over 55cm often.There are alot of walleye in forty mile,and some days you can catch tons,but good luck getting one over 55cm on every outing...

seems when you do catch one over 55cm ,it's way above the legal size limit,like 65-75 cm which is like a 9-11 pound walleye,and because your only allowed one fish over 55cm,I have a feeling that these pigs are being put into the boat!

-They should keep the one fish a day and put in a slot size of 50cm-55cm or they should have a 0 catch limit for something like 5 years...thats my opinion.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Bullshead

Aswell allow bait and Ice fishing at bullshead lake...........
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
That solid fishery used to be closed(0-limit on walleye). Was opened to 1 fish over 55 just like ridge(and opened at the same time also). I think both are not to bad yet. Not as good after being open for awhile but that would be fairly normal(as is Ridge). Has been open only about that long 7yrs or so. Have you fished 40 mile much Nate?
Not very much. The last time I was there was a few years ago. I was hearing people talk about how good it was before I ever fished there and have heard that it has slowly declined over the years.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I for one am pretty satisfied with the fisheries around Medicine hat....

Forty mile lake is a mystery on why the fish seem to not get over 55cm often.There are alot of walleye in forty mile,and some days you can catch tons,but good luck getting one over 55cm on every outing...

seems when you do catch one over 55cm ,it's way above the legal size limit,like 65-75 cm which is like a 9-11 pound walleye,and because your only allowed one fish over 55cm,I have a feeling that these pigs are being put into the boat!

-They should keep the one fish a day and put in a slot size of 50cm-55cm or they should have a 0 catch limit for something like 5 years...thats my opinion.
WOW. Those fish must be pretty chunky. I've caught alot of walleye in the 65cm range and none of them were close to 9lbs. I've even caught a handful in the 70-77 range but haven't hit 11lbs.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:39 PM

dont know many of the fisheries around the Hat, but I am hoping to make it to the meeting anyways, maybe learn a few lake X's

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
dont know many of the fisheries around the Hat, but I am hoping to make it to the meeting anyways, maybe learn a few lake X's
Stay away from my lakes Wayne, u have enough lake X's
Would love to attend meeting, unfortunately I am out of town till Friday.

WJ, I'm confused, ice fishing is allowed at Bullshead? Am I missing something...perhaps the joke?

X2, thanx for posting this up her Bloom.
If anyone on here attends, please keep us informed on the discussions held.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Don't give the guy a rough time.

Just tell him that you notice that someone from the ADM's office is not here.

He will just smile and not say anything.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post

WJ, I'm confused, ice fishing is allowed at Bullshead? Am I missing something...perhaps the joke?

thought the bears up north had finished you off, good to see you posting again.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
thought the bears up north had finished you off, good to see you posting again.
Thanx, been trying not to post, as it just depresses me to be unable to fish. 1 more week and I'm back. Lol, Yogi is still sleeping and I'ma outta here before he wakes! Wolverines, lynx, and wolves aplenty though
Will get in touch for sure and we'll go find some fish this spring/summer. Lotsa time off coming. This should be a pm I guess, o well, to lazy to retype it.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Talk about Improving fisheries in the Med Hat Area? Maybe they should try Improving fisheries in the entire province of Alberta.. sure the hat is a good start, but will he be stopping anywhere else...?

Regardless, hopefully the turn out is good.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post

Ice Fishing is allowed at bulls head if there is still ice on the lake as of April the 1st like last year....however what I was getting at is that it would be great to be able to fish bullshead year round,even without useing bait....Cant see it happening though.

While we are on the Subject i'll See you out there next sunday on April 1st.I'll be with my cousin and his two year old son,i'll be wearing carharts or a plade jacket....probley fishing the small pond or off the rock dam!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
WOW. Those fish must be pretty chunky. I've caught alot of walleye in the 65cm range and none of them were close to 9lbs. I've even caught a handful in the 70-77 range but haven't hit 11lbs.
Very fat walleye in the man made southern alberta lakes....forty mile fish are so chunky that fish between 45-50cm are over 3 pounds

These are from another lake,and the middle eyeball was around 72cm and was just over 10 pounds,which I originally threw back.The fish had a cut on her which I reconized.I swear to god 5 days later I caught her again,so i figured that it was meant to be,so into the frying pan for the family she went....
Old 03-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Talk about Improving fisheries in the Med Hat Area? Maybe they should try Improving fisheries in the entire province of Alberta.. sure the hat is a good start, but will he be stopping anywhere else...?

Regardless, hopefully the turn out is good.
Terry is holding round tables in areas that he governs as part of his territory.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Default reminder

any members hitting the meeting?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM

Grrrrrr, I really wish I could be there. You might be the only one Wayne!!! If you still plan to go can you ask a couple questions for me. What is the plan for the Med Hat college pond? Did they put fish back in it? Are they going to? What species, pike and perch again? I really enjoy floating around there when I'm too lazy to go out to a lake/river or if I just need to be close to town for whatever reason. Great lil pond for kids to learn to fish, would hate to see it go to waste.
Cheers n GL
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 PM

I will add those questions to my list. actually that is my whole list Id like to ask about the state of the sturgeon fishery as well I guess, just out of curiousity, although I hope they never do bring back a keeper limit.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I will add those questions to my list. actually that is my whole list Id like to ask about the state of the sturgeon fishery as well I guess, just out of curiousity, although I hope they never do bring back a keeper limit.
Thanx alot Wayne and X2 about the sturgeos, do inquire, please.
Cheers.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Right on WC, your doing the right thing. It makes a difference in the long run. Stand and be heard the fishermans opinion has value and can fill in the blanks of even the most scientific study of a water body.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Anyone else from the area that cant make it and has questions, let me know I will try and get answers for you.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Do you have to register for this? Or can I just walk in?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulful View Post
Do you have to register for this? Or can I just walk in?
I hope just walk in, thats what Im going to be doing

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM

I suspect I will be there as well tomorrow night if nuttin comes up between now and then. it will be interesting to see if there are any plans for this area beyond the status quo.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Right on guys, I agree with Chubby, the more fisherpeople there, the better. Power by #s and if I had to venture a guess, 99.9% certain you can just walk in.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Anyone else from the area that cant make it and has questions, let me know I will try and get answers for you.

would you update us with any info spoke of regarding bullshead? are they happy with the status of the fishery under the current regulations? any changes to the current regulations ever been or being discussed? say through trout unlimited and themselves (Bios and SRD). thanks wayne.

and bloom, thanks for the thread.

Dace
Old 03-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
would you update us with any info spoke of regarding bullshead? are they happy with the status of the fishery under the current regulations? any changes to the current regulations ever been or being discussed? say through trout unlimited and themselves (Bios and SRD). thanks wayne.

and bloom, thanks for the thread.

Dace
no prob, although it might be hard to say Bullshead and not the other Bull word when talking to a member of the government. always a first time I guess

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

keep this up top.....today is the day of the meeting.