Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Choosing fly line backing and fly line

Picked up a fly rod and reel (9ft 5wt) on thursday and now I need the line and backing. I'm new to fly fishing and would like to know what the decent to good brands are. What setups are you guys using?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM

I use Rio. I find it the best, or at least the best that I can find. I don't like waxy backings.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:09 AM

I like cortland 444 flyline. As far as backing goes just get whatever the shop you get your line from offers you.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Picked up a fly rod and reel (9ft 5wt) on thursday and now I need the line and backing. I'm new to fly fishing and would like to know what the decent to good brands are. What setups are you guys using?
Before you buy a random line< what kind of rod is it? whats the action?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Are you fishing lakes? streams? rivers? what are your target species?

LC
Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Yes what kind of action?! If fast you might want to consider Sa GPX or Rio grand (I prefer gpx as grand has a longer head doesn't cast as nice for me, but does actually roll cast better). If medium or medium/fast rio gold is a great line. Make sure to keep your box and receipt as if there are any Problems within the year both those have a 1 year warrantee.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM

I pretty sure its a fast action. I'll double check when I get home. Ill probably be using it mostly on lakes but might take it out to the river sometimes. I bought it for trout. If I were to take it to the river then I would be targeting goldeye.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 AM

There's a lot of good lines made today. The big three are Rio, Cortland & Scientific Anglers but Airflo, Jim Teeny, Orvis & Sage make great lines with more manufacturers being added daily. I used to be a Cortland 444 guy but found several times that the line prematurely cracked on me. I've switched all my lines over to Rio and do enjoy casting the Rio Gold very much. I have cast SA lines without any complaints although not crazy about the noisy Shark line.

As far as backing, 20lb dacron will do you well. Some folks are moving to the 35lb Gel-Spun backing as it offers the same capacity as 20lb dacron and is much stronger but costs a bit more. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Rio is the best IMO, and a waxed dacron backing is the way I go.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 AM

Airflow supple tactical is what I have for my 9' 5wt and really like it.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Scientific anglers all the way. Excellent fly line.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanheartssteelhead View Post
Before you buy a random line< what kind of rod is it? whats the action?
Classic Trout 5wt 9ft 6 piece with the Amundson TXS reel
Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, now I have something to go on
Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 PM

I would suggest considering what you will be casting on the end of your line most often. There are many different styles of lines out there that will do better with large streamers, small dry's or a nymph. The taper design of each line is more important than the manufacturer. Pick the taper design you think would benefit you most for your style of flyfishing. You can then consider the coating, color and texture of the line. At that point speak to a few people/ sales guys that can recommend a manufacturer that has what will work best for you. You could also consider the size of the water you will be fishing and maybe you want to load the rod with less line out by "over lining" the rod. If you are just starting out and its your first rod i would not go that route though. That is something to consider with your second spool "maybe". There are lots of things to consider and the actual manufacturer should be the last thing you should pick, as long as you go with one of the quality manufacturers listed in the previous posts.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 PM

The Redington CT is a medium action rod. Go with Rio gold it works very well for that rod. I have it on a CT 7'6" 3 wt and love mine!! Rio Trout LT would be very nice, as well!!

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-24-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
The Redington CT is a medium action rod. Go with Rio gold it works very well for that rod. I have it on a CT 7'6" 3 wt and love mine!! Rio Trout LT would be very nice, as well!!
I'll have to check those out!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM

I switched all my rods to Rio Gold and haven't looked back. I have yet to get into my backing so I don't really care what it is, but they put it on at Wholesale so I assume it's half decent.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 AM

another 1 for rio line i like the way it lays out strait in the spring no memory
I use rio gold on 6wt & rio pike on the 10 also it casts smoooooth
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Banned

Stick with the Big 4 (Airflo,SA,Rio,Cortland)and you can't go wrong.Don't be all concerned with specialty tapers at this point in your Flyfishing career,you wont have the skill nor experience to appreciate their potential anyhow,just get a good quality 5WFF and have at'er.
Airflo has owned the European market for years and is making great strides in popularity on this side of the pond with excellent quality,casting,floatation and sensitivity properties,and touted by those in the know as the most durable lines out there,bar none.
Both SA and Rio make great lines as well,albeit perhaps slightly less durable than Airflo.Cortland "was" the North American industry leader but IMHO has fallen behind in their stagnant R&D department,relying on reputation to move the same old lines.Cortland is probly also the least durable of the Big4 and more prone to cracking.

......and FWIW,aside from a little known upstart CDN manufacturer,the Big4 manufacture virtually every house brand flyline on the shelf (Sage,Orvis,JT,Cabelas,Crystal River......and on and on etc.)to be marketed under their respective brand names.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Amundson TXS reel
I have the same reel, great bang for the buck. Have a cortland line on mine right now.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 AM

I like my CT with a GPX for in close loading. Lenghten the leader for delicacy if needed.

I also use 30lb dacron for most of backing. Sure the poundage is overkill, but I like the way it sits on my reels. You lose roughly 20% capacity from 20lb dacron.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM

Picked up some Rio Gold last night and getting it spun on tonight. Seems like everyone I talked to likes the Rio gold as much as the people on here!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
did you buy secondhand? Usually the shop that sells you the gear will spring for the backing and sell you a line appropriate for what you want to do. Just go into any reputable shop or even BPS or WSS and talk to the guys behind the counter. Around here your first line should be floating weight forward made for your 5 weight rod. I'd get something that works well in cold water for trout.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Classic Trout 5wt 9ft 6 piece with the Amundson TXS reel
You find the Amundson a bit heavy? I was looking at it because it can do a little light duty sal****er too, but thought it heavy.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You find the Amundson a bit heavy? I was looking at it because it can do a little light duty sal****er too, but thought it heavy.
Its heavier than the more expensive reels I looked at, but I found it to be a little beefier than them.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM

The major manufactures all make good lines. but there's a small company "Monic" that has a patented, no stretch core to there lines. the big company's all wish they could use it but can't. lets you feel 100% of the strike. they make all the different lines,fresh/salt water and spey lines. the spey lines are the best on the market because your in touch with your fly all the time and the strikes feel amazing.

There a small company, but worth checking out. if you try them out, you'll never buy from a major manufacture again.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
The major manufactures all make good lines. but there's a small company "Monic" that has a patented, no stretch core to there lines. the big company's all wish they could use it but can't. lets you feel 100% of the strike. they make all the different lines,fresh/salt water and spey lines. the spey lines are the best on the market because your in touch with your fly all the time and the strikes feel amazing.

There a small company, but worth checking out. if you try them out, you'll never buy from a major manufacture again.
FYI,Airflo launched their low-stretch Power Core with their Sixth Sense lines a few years ago and have since incorporated that technology into some of their other popular lines as well such as 40plus and Ridge lines.