Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Banned

Default Best snap swivles.

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this little peice of fishing tackle. I know its often best to just tie on directly but when I can get away with it I like a snap swivle for changing hooks quickly, as well that little bit of metal seems to save a surprising amount of walleye hooks from being cut off by pike. Seems like most designs work pretty well in the larger sizes but in the smaller sizes that I like they can get pretty flimsy, so whats everyones favorite?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM

im cheap just buy cabelas
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM

I use mustad swivels and never had any issues...
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Banned

I use the best I can afford at the time. I currently use rosco or radiant. cheap terminal tackle is like putting wall mart rubber on a corvette.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Good question...I use snap swivels a lot, and I have yet to find any that I'm really happy with...it seems like either the swivel is crap and my line ends up getting spun up, or like in my last snap swivel thread, the snap fails entirely.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I use mustad swivels and never had any issues...
X2 Never had a problem
Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Good question...I use snap swivels a lot, and I have yet to find any that I'm really happy with...it seems like either the swivel is crap and my line ends up getting spun up, or like in my last snap swivel thread, the snap fails entirely.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
imo the quality brands, rosco, sampo,and radiant,really make huge difference. I use tiny rosco sz 13 clips on even smaller sampo sz 14 swivels. this year I landed an 8lb pike thru the ice, with no issues. they are very expensive. I just feel the quality is light years ahead of some other name brand tackle.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:39 PM

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251004055211?...ht_1807wt_1396

going to try these this year
Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
Cant see those being a good choice for fishing that might involve pike, but a very good option for trout and probably walleye if you didnt care about the pike. I've used Mustad swivles, a couple different types I think. The kind with the regular leader type snaps are kind of flimsy in smaller sizes. Mustad also has a funky kind of snap with a hook that catches in an eye that I found to be strong but it is hard to thread some lures onto and when unsnapped it can fall right off the swivle never to be found again. I've tryed some of the crosslock style snaps and they are my favorite but again it can sometimes be hard to get certain types of lures onto them. Not sure what I'll try this year.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Cant see those being a good choice for fishing that might involve pike, but a very good option for trout and probably walleye if you didnt care about the pike. I've used Mustad swivles, a couple different types I think. The kind with the regular leader type snaps are kind of flimsy in smaller sizes. Mustad also has a funky kind of snap with a hook that catches in an eye that I found to be strong but it is hard to thread some lures onto and when unsnapped it can fall right off the swivle never to be found again. I've tryed some of the crosslock style snaps and they are my favorite but again it can sometimes be hard to get certain types of lures onto them. Not sure what I'll try this year.
Ya not intending to go after pike, more like perch & walleye where I do not use a leader. They looked interesting so thought I'd give them a try.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:56 PM

Cal...

Those snaps from Mustad you refer to are the Diamond snaps...I just bought a bunch this year to try and I found the exact same probs as you described. They can be a little hard to thread a hook on to, but once they are closed...they stay closed.

However, the major design flaw is the fact that the actual snap can and will fall off the swivel. Super annoying!

I won't be buying anymore of these...Cross-locks are the way to go IMHO.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM

I switched to crosslocks about 3 years ago and have never looked back. Strong and dependable, never had a terminal tackle since...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 PM

Here's what I think about the Berkley crosslocks...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-25-2012, 12:09 PM

I use Mustad #11 to#9. They've never let me down. I've had the Berkley cross locks fail once or twice; they get weak from opening and closing them. Just make sure you always close the snap on the Mustad because you'll lose them every time. The only jig I can recall having a hard time with using these was a Finn Tech nuckle ball or the like.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Cal...

Those snaps from Mustad you refer to are the Diamond snaps...I just bought a bunch this year to try and I found the exact same probs as you described. They can be a little hard to thread a hook on to, but once they are closed...they stay closed.

However, the major design flaw is the fact that the actual snap can and will fall off the swivel. Super annoying!

I won't be buying anymore of these...Cross-locks are the way to go IMHO.
I prefer that type of snap, you can always tie a piece of line or thread around the snap to keep it from falling off, I just got used to closing them all the time. found that even if they open the fish dont get off.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I prefer that type of snap, you can always tie a piece of line or thread around the snap to keep it from falling off, I just got used to closing them all the time. found that even if they open the fish dont get off.
They are pretty decent but I've lost the snaps a couple times while changing hooks, very anoying. As well getting a jig with a small eye or certain crankbaits around that little hook thing can be highly frustrating. I've used this type of snap for attatching slip sinkers but never in crucial position. The design looks like a step up from the regular snap types but probably not as strong as crosslocks, easy to put a hook on though. Anyone else used these?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104616180
Old 03-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Ive used them as well, and quit using them, they tend to come undone with a fish on, and arent as strong as the other kind.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ive used them as well, and quit using them, they tend to come undone with a fish on, and arent as strong as the other kind.
The small ones work very well for rigging slip sinkers, both sides of the snap can be undone so you can switch from jigs or crankbaits to lindy rigs very easily.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:19 PM

Check out the off shore angler crosslocks not the berkeley ones. Thats the ones I use anyways..
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Banned

I usually use a swivel with a split ring.

Hate snap swivels.

I was using Mustad's until a nice brown on the bow did the typical roll and popped the snap open and took my lure. I was ****ed and felt bad about its new piercing.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
pelada trochu

havent had any snaps break yet. lucky i suppose.

when ever i have a pike mess up a leader (mustad cross lock)
i cut off the snap and swivel and save them for other fishing uses.

sometimes tie a snap to my mainline and use a walleye rig with a swivel on it to make quick changes from different setup. or vicea versa
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 AM

If you want the absolute best, go with ball bearing swivels.