Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
As has been pointed out in the past, the regulations pamphlet that comes with your license summarizes legislation from the Fisheries (Alberta) Act, the General Fisheries (Alberta) Regulations, and the Fisheries (Ministerial) Regulations. These can be viewed at the Alberta Queen's Printer website at:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca

The guide also summarizes information from the Alberta fisheries Regulations, created persuant to the Fisheries Act of Canada. This information can be viewed at:

http://laws.justice.gc/ca/en/index.html

In regards to culling fish, or possession limits, vague proposals that these are merely suggestions will land you in hot water. The new anglers that read this should be better informed and will benefit greatly from interptreting the regulations in the spirit of the laws.

Free
second link doesnt work, do you have another one so we can look this up for ourselves?
www.justice.gc.ca

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich

Last edited by WayneChristie; 03-27-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
As I SAID when I get it I will post it
can you mail me a hard copy stamped by a commissioner of oaths, also include a certificate of authenticity with it please.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM

This is all I can make sense of so far,
"(4) For the purposes of these Regulations, a fish is considered to be retained when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken."
so if you put a fish in your live well you have retained it, so you cant return it to the lake and get a bigger one once you have caught the legal number for that species. and thats from the Official Alberta Fishery regulations on the Justice site
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-1.html#s-1.

again a case of individual F and W officers interpreting the laws the way they want to interpret them. case in point, I wanted to buy a salvage license from the Brooks F and W office, "No we cant sell you one, you have to get one for that body of water from the district office in that county." then a few days later someone from Calgary, buys one for the same body of water from the Strathmore office. both in different counties from the same body of water. Maybe The training for F and W should be revamped so they all learn from the same frikkin book!!!!!!!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
typical government gobbledegook, one person says something is illegal one says its not, when will they all receive the same frikkin training!!!!!! again different officers say different things. no wonder people get confused when it comes to the regulations and official positions!
It's ok Wayne

You don't need to cull Sturgeon or big gators so you are safe either way.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:17 PM

In Calgary on my phone so I will keep this short.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Just pizzes me off that officers of the law cant get the laws they are supposed to enforce correct. shouldnt be a different story for different officers. maybe they should have a lawyer sitting around on the phone so they can check every law out before they enforce it. the salvage permit isnt the first experience with the same old story. consistancy across the province and between every officer would be nice

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
can you mail me a hard copy stamped by a commissioner of oaths, also include a certificate of authenticity with it please.

will find a notary
Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Just pizzes me off that officers of the law cant get the laws they are supposed to enforce correct. shouldnt be a different story for different officers. maybe they should have a lawyer sitting around on the phone so they can check every law out before they enforce it. the salvage permit isnt the first experience with the same old story. consistancy across the province and between every officer would be nice
Wayne I wouldn't say it's the officers they are all ensuring we all follow the same rules . They are not allowed to play games with you have to tell you what the law is .

You may get different officers who are more picky then another , I also think people confuse fish and wildlife officers and conservation officers mixed up . Fish and wildlife officers are SRD employees where as conservation officers are parks employees .

I've been stopped by conservations and been told I was in the wrong when I clearly wasn't was able to prove otherwise then they checked with a fish and wildlife officer , which I was correct . None the less they are here to keep our resources for future generations , and probably deserve a little respect , lots of guys here talk harshly about them when in fact there looking out for us .

As for the post about it being legal to cull fish , time to give your head a shake .

I think it's time we see if the forum admin / mods look at having some of our fish and wildlife answer the odd question here for everyone so othat people are told by the men and women patrolling our waters / fields what they would be fineing you for .

After all YOU THE ANGLER NO MATTER HOW YOUNG OR OLD WHERE YOUR FROM YOU ARE TO KNOW THE REGULATIONS , IF YOU DON'T . KNOW MAKE A PHONE CALL TO YOUR FISH AND WILDLIFE OFFICE .

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/AboutSRD/S...eContacts.aspx

Above link had area fish and wildlife offices .
Old 03-27-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
As for the post about it being legal to cull fish , time to give your head a shake .
Why??? it is not Illegal.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Does it have to be illegal for some of you guys? When the regs say: "Never Cull Fish", isn't that enough for you. It always seems that some so called sportsman always push things to the very limit of the law. There is always a thread on here about how far you can push it before being charged.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Does it have to be illegal for some of you guys? When the regs say: "Never Cull Fish", isn't that enough for you. It always seems that some so called sportsman always push things to the very limit of the law. There is always a thread on here about how far you can push it before being charged.
Its either unlawful or it isnt. You are speeding or you are not speeding.I'd bet that you set your cruise control at 7-8km/hr over the posted speed limit though.
I have never said it was a good idea to cull either. But missinfo was being posted. People need to use their own judgement, releasing fish from a stringer or bucket is not a good idea. If people continue to use poor judgement then the gov will make it unlawful. Stringers/buckets and livewells are apples and oranges.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Why??? it is not Illegal.
Opps let me take a back step all though not Illegal they say 1/2 way down the general regulations

Never Cull Fish

“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

But I guess if thats what you gotta do so be it . Could have swarn it was under the list its Illegal to : .

Quote:
X2
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I never once said I have culled fish, will cull fish, or even wanted to cull fish. The question on the thread is not if it is "right" or "wrong" to the AO Morality Police . It is a question of Lawful V.S Unlawful. It was a he said, she said p***ing contest. So horsetrader and myself made calls to the approproate authorites to find out and we were then called liars and were told to give our heads a shake......If you want to cull fish go ahead, LEGALLY, ....and unlike some on here, I won't judge you if you do.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM

And I am not acusing anybody on here of culling fish or questioning the actual written legality of the issue. You guys have determined that.

I stand by my question: Does it have to be illegal for some of you guys? When the regs say: "Never Cull Fish", isn't that enough for you.

It is always a peeing contest on here. The regs ask us never to cull fish. It is so simple, don't do it, don't argue and debate the legality of it. Just follow the regulations.

Last edited by AxeMan; 03-28-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
And I am not acusing anybody on here of culling fish or questioning the actual written legality of the issue. You guys have determined that.

I stand by my question: Does it have to be illegal for some of you guys? When the regs say: "Never Cull Fish", isn't that enough for you.

It is always a peeing contest on here. The regs ask us never to cull fish. It is so simple, don't do it, don't argue and debate the legality of it. Just follow the regulations.

Its not a regulation.

Do you ever fish in water over 23 feet? Bet you do. That is also a request not a law.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 03-28-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Wow there sure are alot of heavy posters(high post counts)/long timers on here that put there foot in their mouths on this thread.

Some suggested I cant read(though it appears I read at a higher level than some).

I thought about replying to individual posts but that would take to long so this post will have to do.

It is shocking that people have such a tough time reading and understanding the regs. They are really not that tough. And blaming the government or enforcement is weak. Not owning up to a persons mistakes is.... well lets put it this way, if I was wrong I would have owned up not ignored or blamed. Tells me alot about some of those that posted.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
[/B]

Its not a regulation.

Do you ever fish in water over 23 feet? Bet you do. That is also a request not a law.
what species you fish for is the only time that is important. most warm water fish do not do well brought up from the deep. most trout have little difficulty reajusting and in fact fish released right away if not removed from the water suffer no ill effects. pull them out of the water and the opposite is true.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

Default Mr. Huntsfurfish

I have spent the better part of this afternon trying to get a definitive answer to this debate. Apparently, there is no specific legislation (as worded) that states that CULLING fish is illegal. Nor are there any words that state definitively that it is legal. You are right in making an assumption that because the wording is vague, then, as it has been argued that if tournament fishermen can cull fish, that guys like you can do the same. Happily, my experiences thus far have precluded the possibility that that was nessesary, for me.

So, while you are able to claim a moral victory, it is my belief that you cannot claim an ethical win.

Any of the rest of you that have the same opinion as this fellow, you can rest easy in your RIGHT to do as you please to not protect an already fragile fishery. Also a debatable point for the freezerfiller crowd.

If, however, you are charged with an infraction under the Fisheries (Alberta) Act, you also have the right to defend yourself in a court of law. There you may not be found not guilty in terms of the Alberta legislations, but you may be found guilty under the Popular Opinion Poll, as seen here.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors to become a sportsman of the best kind. My only advice to you,and to those that agree with you, is that by keeping your mind open to change, you too can be a true Albertan sportsman.

I will not apologize for my stand in this matter. I sleep easy at night knowing that there are ethical fishermen in a number of jurisdictions that happily invite me to come aboard. Besides, nobody in Alberta catches enough walleye to be able to cull for size, IMHO. Happy trails.

Free

Last edited by Freedom55; 03-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

So, while you are able to claim a moral victory, it is my belief that you cannot claim an ethical win.

Any of the rest of you that have the same opinion as this fellow, you can rest easy in your RIGHT to do as you please to not protect an already fragile fishery. Also a debatable point for the freezerfiller crowd.

If, however, you are charged with an infraction under the Fisheries (Alberta) Act, you also have the right to defend yourself in a court of law. There you may not be found not guilty in terms of the Alberta legislations, but you may be found guilty under the Popular Opinion Poll, as seen here.

Well said Dave
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have spent the better part of this afternon trying to get a definitive answer to this debate. Apparently, there is no specific legislation (as worded) that states that CULLING fish is illegal. Nor are there any words that state definitively that it is legal. You are right in making an assumption that because the wording is vague, then, as it has been argued that if tournament fishermen can cull fish, that guys like you can do the same. Happily, my experiences thus far have precluded the possibility that that was nessesary, for me.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors to become a sportsman of the best kind. My only advice to you,and to those that agree with you, is that by keeping your mind open to change, you too can be a true Albertan sportsman.

I will not apologize for my stand in this matter. I sleep easy at night knowing that there are ethical fishermen in a number of jurisdictions that happily invite me to come aboard. Besides, nobody in Alberta catches enough walleye to be able to cull for size, IMHO. Happy trails.

Free
I'm afraid you have missed the entire scope of this thread it is not that anyone has posted that they WANT to cull infact if you read you will see that many of us have posted that we consider it to be something we would NOT do. The thread was an issue of whether it was legal not if it was ethical.
And your right you should not apologize for your stand on this matter.
You ask people to keep their mind open to change,in turn you should keep your mind open to what is really being said here. I applaud your efforts to protect the fishery ....Cheers
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Guys like me???? You dont know me or what I do! Wow!

Read my posts!!!! Another that cant read

What is my opinion? And maybe I have done more than you!

?

LOL, Probably more of a true sportsman than you and have more class too

No need to apologize, your post says it all!
Sounds like your not a good fisherman either

Free
All I can say is wow someone is full.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I'm afraid you have missed the entire scope of this thread it is not that anyone has posted that they WANT to cull infact if you read you will see that many of us have posted that we consider it to be something we would NOT do. The thread was an issue of whether it was legal not if it was ethical.
And your right you should not apologize for your stand on this matter.
You ask people to keep their mind open to change,in turn you should keep your mind open to what is really being said here. I applaud your efforts to protect the fishery ....Cheers

Well said Horse!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
what species you fish for is the only time that is important. most warm water fish do not do well brought up from the deep. most trout have little difficulty reajusting and in fact fish released right away if not removed from the water suffer no ill effects. pull them out of the water and the opposite is true.
Yes that is mostly directed at walleye and perch. And was in my post to make a point.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes that is mostly directed at walleye and perch. And was in my post to make a point.
no worries. just putting some thoughts on how it affects various species. so folks understand the issue.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM

"Just follow the regulations."

Quote:
[/B]

Its not a regulation.

Since you are all hept up on members reading comprehension, I will clarify my statement for you. Follow the regulations as in the "Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations". In there it asks us to never cull fish.

Yes, it is not a written law. Happy now? Actually, I never ever questioned that. Remember reading this "And I am not accusing anybody on here of culling fish or questioning the actual written legality of the issue. "

Oh, and I don't fish in water over 23 feet. 18 feet is about max for my style of fishing.

reg·u·la·tion (rgy-lshn)
n.
1. The act of regulating or the state of being regulated.
2. A principle, rule, or law designed to control or govern conduct.

Reading comprehension.....please.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Im happy are you happy?

yup you win on a technicality.LOL, But I think you know what I meant.

Guess I should have said a law like i did in the next line of my quote. I guess

I can concede that point.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Yup, I'm happy too. Actually, this is a good thread and will serve to inform all of us. Arguing about a technicality or word definition is silly for all of us.
Huntsfurfish, I know what you meant.

I must admit, before I read this thread, I thought it was illegal in the true sense of the word to cull fish.

I think you understand my point too.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Yes, I do understand your point. Maybe all of us (including me) need to read/understand better and hopefully this post will be usefull.

And now that its out there(about culling), I hope it isnt abused.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:04 PM

I just know when I read something in regulations that says

it is illegal to.....

or

do not....

I don't go but but but but but....and hope there is a loophole. Why bother? We still have to hold ourselves to a certain level of responsibility and morality that unfortunately so many have forgotten. I will catch legal fish to eat.

Now where are those walleye?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I just know when I read something in regulations that says

it is illegal to.....

or

do not....

I don't go but but but but but....and hope there is a loophole. Why bother? We still have to hold ourselves to a certain level of responsibility and morality that unfortunately so many have forgotten. I will catch legal fish to eat.

Now where are those walleye?
No one is looking for a loop hole. No one seems to or wants to understand this is not a morality issue.Which leads me to think people don't take the time to read all the posts. No one is suggesting that ANYONE cull fish. We were just looking to answer a question on legality not morality.

stick with the perch they taste better..