Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post

Well said Dave
Thanx D, much obvliged
Old 03-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Never Cull Fish

“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

nev·er
   [nev-er] Show IPA
adverb
1.not ever; at no time: Such an idea never occurred to me.
2.not at all; absolutely not: never mind; This will never do.
3.to no extent or degree: He was never the wiser for his experience.

Cull
“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

fish
   [fish] Show IPA noun, plural ( especially collectively ) fish, ( especially referring to two or more kinds or species ) fish·es, verb
noun
1. any of various cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates, having gills, commonly fins, and typically an elongated body covered with scales.
2. (loosely) any of various other aquatic animals.
3. the flesh of fishes used as food.
4. Fishes, Astronomy, Astrology . the constellation or sign of Pisces.
5. informal . a person: an odd fish; a poor fish.

No matter how many times I read it I can't get my head around the fact that it is just a suggestion.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM

some peoples kids..... smh

while culling may be "legal" its something that everyone shouldnt do. I mean to catch a 17" walleye, then replace it with a 18" walleye is just stupid. your gaining like 1/8th of a mouthful of meat. its just not worth it.

what i usually do, is C&R for the first half of the trip (unless i catch a monster) and then later on ill keep my limit and eat it that night.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM

Question Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
"Just follow the regulations."

Since you are all hept up on members reading comprehension, I will clarify my statement for you. Follow the regulations as in the "Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations". In there it asks us to never cull fish.

Yes, it is not a written law. Happy now? Actually, I never ever questioned that. Remember reading this "And I am not accusing anybody on here of culling fish or questioning the actual written legality of the issue. "

Oh, and I don't fish in water over 23 feet. 18 feet is about max for my style of fishing.

reg·u·la·tion (rgy-lshn)
n.
1. The act of regulating or the state of being regulated.
2. A principle, rule, or law designed to control or govern conduct.

Reading comprehension.....please.
X2
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy View Post
Never Cull Fish

nev·er
   [nev-er] Show IPA
adverb
1.not ever; at no time: Such an idea never occurred to me.
2.not at all; absolutely not: never mind; This will never do.
3.to no extent or degree: He was never the wiser for his experience.

Cull

fish
   [fish] Show IPA noun, plural ( especially collectively ) fish, ( especially referring to two or more kinds or species ) fish·es, verb
noun
1. any of various cold-blooded, aquatic vertebrates, having gills, commonly fins, and typically an elongated body covered with scales.
2. (loosely) any of various other aquatic animals.
3. the flesh of fishes used as food.
4. Fishes, Astronomy, Astrology . the constellation or sign of Pisces.
5. informal . a person: an odd fish; a poor fish.

No matter how many times I read it I can't get my head around the fact that it is just a suggestion.
A better word would be recommendation

If it doesnt say illegal/unlawful or is not listed as such then it is not.
There are other examples in the regs that are also not illegal/unlawful.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
X2
We are now that we know
Old 03-29-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
I have spent the better part of this afternon trying to get a definitive answer to this debate. Apparently, there is no specific legislation (as worded) that states that CULLING fish is illegal. Nor are there any words that state definitively that it is legal. You are right in making an assumption that because the wording is vague, then, as it has been argued that if tournament fishermen can cull fish, that guys like you can do the same. Happily, my experiences thus far have precluded the possibility that that was nessesary, for me.

So, while you are able to claim a moral victory, it is my belief that you cannot claim an ethical win.

Any of the rest of you that have the same opinion as this fellow, you can rest easy in your RIGHT to do as you please to not protect an already fragile fishery. Also a debatable point for the freezerfiller crowd.

If, however, you are charged with an infraction under the Fisheries (Alberta) Act, you also have the right to defend yourself in a court of law. There you may not be found not guilty in terms of the Alberta legislations, but you may be found guilty under the Popular Opinion Poll, as seen here.

I wish you good luck in your endeavors to become a sportsman of the best kind. My only advice to you,and to those that agree with you, is that by keeping your mind open to change, you too can be a true Albertan sportsman.

I will not apologize for my stand in this matter. I sleep easy at night knowing that there are ethical fishermen in a number of jurisdictions that happily invite me to come aboard. Besides, nobody in Alberta catches enough walleye to be able to cull for size, IMHO. Happy trails.

Free
Not really wanting to stoke your moral flame - but if I had one of these on my boat would you say I am culling fish or actually helping fish? Honestly, most of you missed the point in argueing with the original poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAEhVXXFDc

This is what I meant by saying they are now building modified live wells: TO HELP WITH FISH MORTALITY! Sometimes, a stressed fish needs more then a flip off a hook to revive. I get you are against live wells but used correctly, they can actually save fish. Can anyone point to a scientific study that shows how poor the mortality is for fish in live wells?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
A better word would be recommendation

If it doesnt say illegal/unlawful or is not listed as such then it is not.
There are other examples in the regs that are also not illegal/unlawful.
But "Never Cull Fish" falls under General Regulations not General Recommendations.

It doesn't say "We recommend/suggest that you never cull fish".
Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy View Post

But "Never Cull Fish" falls under General Regulations not General Recommendations.

It doesn't say "We recommend/suggest that you never cull fish".
It would say:

It is unlawful to cull fish
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
It would say:

It is unlawful to cull fish

Yup. It would.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
Not really wanting to stoke your moral flame - but if I had one of these on my boat would you say I am culling fish or actually helping fish? Honestly, most of you missed the point in argueing with the original poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAEhVXXFDc

This is what I meant by saying they are now building modified live wells: TO HELP WITH FISH MORTALITY! Sometimes, a stressed fish needs more then a flip off a hook to revive. I get you are against live wells but used correctly, they can actually save fish. Can anyone point to a scientific study that shows how poor the mortality is for fish in live wells?
I agree and thanks for the link.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
This is all I can make sense of so far,
"(4) For the purposes of these Regulations, a fish is considered to be retained when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken."
so if you put a fish in your live well you have retained it, so you cant return it to the lake and get a bigger one once you have caught the legal number for that species. and thats from the Official Alberta Fishery regulations on the Justice site
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-1.html#s-1.
!!
So culling is legal (or not part of any legislation prohibiting it), but culled fish count towards your limit! In effect making any reason to cull for bigger fish within a limit, quite pointless. ?????
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM

deleted post