Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Exclamation Float times for the bow!

Just found this Reading the old forum threads,
Hope this helps you guys this spring summer season of fishing!

Upper Bow River

The first three floats should only be done in canoe or light pontoon boat due to difficult access and continual sweepers, tight corners, difficult maneuverability. Note that you will also need a National Parks license for the first four floats listed here. Please consult the Provincial and National Park fishing regulations for seasonal closures, bait bans, size limits, etc. The upper reaches through Banff National Park are beautiful, however, don't head out expecting too many trout to be caught in a day. Enjoy your surroundings and take your camera to film the wildlife and scenery.

Lake Louise to Castle Junction - 12+ hours fishing. Sight seeing float with a few bulls and cutthroat
Castle Junction to Red Earth Creek ~ 4 hours fishing. Sight seeing float with a few bulls and cutthroat
Red Earth Creek to the Hwy 1A crossing ~ 8 hours straight float. Some faster, deeper water with more whitefish. A few bulls and cutthroat.
Bow Falls to Canmore ~ A very "Full day" float. Consider a two day trip. Browns (10 - 18"+), bulls, few cutts, whitefish.

Middle Bow River

Canmore to Deadman's Flats ~ 6 hour float with many sweepers and log jams. Consult locals for current state of the big log jam an hour into the float. Browns, a few bulls, whitefish, few cutts, whitefish
Exshaw to Seebee ~ Fast water with big waves and sweepers. 5 hour float. Use extreme caution and do your homework before floating this section. Browns, few bulls, whitefish. Take out above the Seebee dam
Ghost Dam to Cochrane ~ 6 hour float. A few big rollers. Many island the first 2 hours of float. Good camping reach. Browns and rainbows. Some larger trout begin to show. Tough water is easily avoided. Many deflections for summertime risers. Heavy fluctuation due to Ghost Dam.
Cochrane to the head of Bearspaw Dam ~ 6 hour float. Many deflections, good riffles and runs. Heavy fluctuation due to Ghost Dam. Browns and rainbows. Good hopper water.

Lower Bow River

Below the Bearspaw Dam, the Bow River is the prime trophy trout reach and there are several float trips available. Any combination of put in and take out locations is possible. Beware a few hazards, such as the WID Weir! Here is a map that has floated around the internet for several years, the origin unknown at time of loading this page. Note, the map was created prior to the completion of the Deerfoot Trail Extension, which is now located just upstream of Policeman's.

On the following three floats, it is best to use a light boat such as a pontoon boat, canoe, or raft. As direct river access is limited, these are the best suited boats for:

Bearspaw to Edworthy Park ~ Full day float. Browns and rainbows. Will take you through downtown Calgary. Large trout present. Good fishing
Edworthy Park to Centenary Park ~Not quite a full day float. Again, takes you through downtown Calgary. Large trout present. Some good fishing. Make sure you don't miss your take out!
Wier (Cushing Bridge) to Glenmore Trail (Graves Landing)~ 3 hours fishing. Good brown trout water. Rainbows. Large trout present. Good streamer water. Good evening and night fishing under lights of city.

Glenmore Trail (Graves Landing) to Hwy 22X (Fish Creek Park)~ 6 hours fishing. Good brown trout water. Float through residential area. As you float under the first pedestrian bridge, pull over and fish the slower choppy water at tail end during winter/spring, or fish the heavy chop water in summer. Good rainbows in riffles.

Hwy #22X to Policeman's Flats ~ 3 hours fishing. Good rainbow and brown trout water. A great float to spend a day working seams and riffles. Get out and wade often. Lots of water to cover, many small islands, riffles, seams. Reach becoming more popular since Deerfoot extension completed. Policeman's comes upon you quickly. Be prepared to do a quick bit of rowing if you haven't been there before. The Deerfoot extension bridge is about a mile and a half upstream. There will be a long, relatively straight section with minor bends. At the end of it there will be a downstream left turn and white posts. Get to your river right. You should also see cars parked up top. The launch is blind to you until you pass it so sneak up along shore and float close to it. You will see the take out soon.

Policeman's Flats to McKinnon's ~ 6 to 9+ hours. The most popular reach due to close proximity to city and ample availability of trout water. Excellent browns and rainbow fishing. Continual seams, riffles, runs, pools, eddies, etc. The take out @ McKinnon is on your river left. You will come around a large, treed island just downstream of a power line, on a long left bend. The two channels will come together (there will likely be people at the inside corner). There's quite a bit of current there as well. A few hundred yards down on your left is the take out.

McKinnon's to Janzens ~ 4 hour straight, up to 8 hours fishing. Much like 22X to Policeman's. Excellent short float allows for many pull outs to wade various shorelines.
McKinnon to Carseland ~ 7 to 10 hours float. Too much water to cover well. Many small islands, drop offs, seams, riffles, runs, eddies, flats, etc. Good rainbow fishing. Browns lower numbers but still very much here.
Janzens to Carseland ~ See McKinnon to Carseland, but 4 hour float.
Below Carseland ~ Jet boats only. Section flows through the Siksika Reserve and you best approach the reserve for permission prior to accessing. Good rainbow fishing. Some large browns and bows present
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 PM

Thanks, this is perfect!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 AM

now we just need one for the lower Bow, Bassano downstream. Id like to do a couple floats this summer, thinking of camping down at the forks and floating from my place down to there, but the way I stop to fish it could take me months! probably take the canoe so I can save some time

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Thanks, this is perfect!
Your welcome
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 PM

Question~
Never fished the bow river, was considering heading there tomorrow. Are you able to take a jetboat on the river or pontoons/inflatable boats only.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:02 PM

They're not permitted within the city but below the Deerfoot extension (I believe) and above Caresland you can have at 'er.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGrrrl View Post
Question~
Never fished the bow river, was considering heading there tomorrow. Are you able to take a jetboat on the river or pontoons/inflatable boats only.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherGrrrl View Post
Question~
Depending on how big your jet is you might have trouble launching at Policemans right now, not much water in the Bow right now
Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Depending on how big your jet is you might have trouble launching at Policemans right now, not much water in the Bow right now
there was a small jet south of there last night. they were headed up and i assumed to load there. agreed there is little water right now that's for sure.

Dace
Old 03-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Sorry if I led any of you to believe policemans launch was a no go. I went out with my buddy on sunday in his jet it it a small one, 17'. If you have something like a 21'+ outboard it might be tight
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Sorry if I led any of you to believe policemans launch was a no go. I went out with my buddy on sunday in his jet it it a small one, 17'. If you have something like a 21'+ outboard it might be tight
Its 17'
Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

at first glance the title of this thread is quite decieving. thinking tidy duck.