Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Default mikisew sportfishing

anyone been to the flyin lakes north of fort macmurray with mikisew sportfishing, i think there is about 10 lakes they go to. just wonderin if this is a good choice or not, prob. in sept.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Default RE: Mikisew

I have been to Potts 3 times, Cornwall twice, and Colin once. Had awesome trips except for really bad weather once. We always go earlier in the season but I hear Sept. is good laker time. Good luck. Let me know where and when you're going.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Smile

Giver and go! Lots of fun with them for sure... went to loutit couple years back in early june. Cabin camp for six guys... Tim does a great job up there. Here are some pics... loutit has some great wallleye and isn't really know fo its pike but we hauled this guy out... also some nice frying pan whites swimming around to.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:02 AM

Yup, they can put you onto some good lakes up there, good outfit to fly with.
Cat
Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Giver!

Tim is a great guy, and I think the price is great for a wonderful experience. The camps and lakes are awesome. I've been to Potts in July and Wylie in August. At Potts we caught a couple jacks 20lbs , most in the 6-8lb range, and lots of lakers in the 5/6lb range (biggest about 10). At Wylie it was a bit slower with a fair amount of wind and we had a harder time getting into the lakers. Lots of jacks. I think the fishing would be better in early or late season, but we go for the best camping a guy could ask for in the middle of summer.

View from camp at Potts lake:

The channel to the unnamed lake beside Wylie:
Old 03-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Default mikisew

thanks for the response guys, think i'm gonna giver a go
Old 02-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster View Post
anyone been to the flyin lakes north of fort macmurray with mikisew sportfishing, i think there is about 10 lakes they go to. just wonderin if this is a good choice or not, prob. in sept.
Going to Colin in June, any advice?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 AM

Default Colin Lake

Try for some perch. I've never been there but I met a native guy who has a cabin there. He said there are some fat jumbo perch in there? I could only imagine the size and quality of Perch in there! I'm sure nobody fishes for them either? Considering the plentiful big Pike and Lakers. Have fun!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Default Mikesew

Mikesew sportfishing is great. Tim is fantastic. Saw fencepost size
Pike suspended in the channel to the unnamed lake @ wylie. great
Fishing in the bay about 2km to the right of the cabin.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Looking at taking a group of guys to one of these lakes in 2012.

All good reviews on the place so far. Anyone have any more experiences up there?

All of the lakes look good. We would like to target walleye mainly, but would also like to catch a laker if I can.

Any suggestions on lakes out of the 10?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:37 PM

mclleland lake and take the jog over to meyers lake for walleye,straight across to a rock point and catch all the walleye u want..just east of the creek
Old 03-09-2012, 04:38 PM

and if u want to catch lakers head to the north side of mclleland
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

not 100% sure but I believe that Mikesew might be done. They ran last year but had arlrady booked people for the summer before /air Mikesew went tits up, They flew with Mcmurray aviation last summer but I thought it was the last year for them. Not certain but better look into it before you start planning a trip.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotadog View Post
not 100% sure but I believe that Mikesew might be done. They ran last year but had arlrady booked people for the summer before /air Mikesew went tits up, They flew with Mcmurray aviation last summer but I thought it was the last year for them. Not certain but better look into it before you start planning a trip.

Thanks for the heads up. They have a booth at the sportsman show next week in Edmonton so I planned to head there and have a chat with them about booking something. I will certainly ask to see if things are on the up and up.

It looks like a great place to get some good fishing on smaller lakes that wouldnt be over whelming for rookies I may take up there.

Any other suggestions of good places to go?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotadog View Post

Maybe thats why I keep sending emails and never get any response. I was hoping to book a trip with them this year as well. Wait till the sportsman show and find out I guess.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM

According to a previous thread, Tim has been on his honeymoon and will be back for the Sportsman Show in Edmonton this week. I'm booked for a trip for the 8th conecutive year, so that will tell you what I think of the experience they offer. Tim does a fabulous job and the ability to have one of these beautiful lakes all to yourself is an experience that is second to none in my opinion. Go for it, you'll love it!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Default Andrew Lake Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
It looks like a great place to get some good fishing on smaller lakes that wouldnt be over whelming for rookies I may take up there.

A few years back 4 of us went up to Andrew Lake for 4 days...we got an extra day because the next guests in were delayed...so 5 days for around $1100/guy with all(phenominal) meals provided...I gained 10 lbs in 5 days lol...we drove to Ft. Smith and saved $3200 over leaving from edmonton...long drive though. The pike were big and the Lakers were plentiful most around 5-8lbs biggest being 15lbs in attached photo. Not sure if they have the same campmaster now, but Derek was a blast, lots of stories and when we ran out of our 4 day supply of beer on day 2 they flew us more in that day...every aspect of the trip was awesome, I would recommend to anyone. Probably landed 200 fish in 5 days...and we were the only four on the lake for 4 of the 5 days...they also have some other lakes if you are interested in Walleye, I think a record pike came out of Leeland Lakes the week before we went...

http://www.andrewlakelodge.com/fishing.htm

Andrew Lake LT.JPG
Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 PM

talked to Tim at the show and he is not sure if things are going to happen this year but keep trying there might one year left for Mikasew.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM

We wont go anymore. Went 3 years in a row to Charles north. Tim can be real nice at times and turn into a dink a second later. My buddies were not overly impressed with him. Does not surprise me if they go under. Its such a gong show every year you show up...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
We wont go anymore. Went 3 years in a row to Charles north. Tim can be real nice at times and turn into a dink a second later. My buddies were not overly impressed with him. Does not surprise me if they go under. Its such a gong show every year you show up...
Are you saying you won't go anymore because of Tim? You see the guy for what....1/2 hour while you get weighed and loaded and that ruins the trip? Buddies weren't impressed with him? Did he make them leave some beer...I mean gear behind 'cause they were over weight?
Enlighten me a bit please!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Wow Safety D. That's a little harsh. I have had nothing but good things to say about Mr. Gillies. Every time we go he treats us first class! He even arranges another plane to fly our extra weight in so we can have an extemely good trip. I can understand how he must feel overwelmed at times with 10 operational fly in totally secluded lakes under his belt. And being stressed out over the safety of people that take there lives in there own hands in totally secluded wilderness. Not at 1 lake but sometimes 10 at a time!! Mikisew Sport Fishing is truly the best bang for your buck if you want to experience raw wilderness and under fished Alberta lakes at there finest! Tim is a great guy and I will continue to fish with his outfit.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:40 AM

Can anyone fill me in on why the might be going under? Something specific happen to the company or they just not get enough business to make it worthwhile and make a profit anymore? Just curious because I narrowed it down to 2 Fly-ins I was going to do this summer. I decided on another lodge, but it wasn't because of the info I just read, but I am curious as to what's going on and why they might go under.....
Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 AM

air travel is a very tough business.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Default honeymoon

As far as I know Tim is in Hawaii. We are booked and paid for for Potts last week in May. Colin last year (our first) best time any of us ever had. Weather is critical but the locations are unreal. Cabins are simple but have what you need, boats are newish and fishing is terrific.

Tim can be a pain in the ass to get ahold of but planes leave on time and what else do you need? Cost wise it can't be beat, spend more buying lures getting ready than the cost of the trip. lol.

From my research Mikisew Air had problems but Tim has other contractors flying for him. I would recommend this trip to everyone but don't tell anybody its hard enough to book the time I want.

This is a simple trip and keep this in mind,no guides,cook,people to clean up after you. If you want that don't go with Mikisew. But to me the best part beyond the fishing is if you see another soul on those lakes. he is a friend that you came with you!
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

Tim is around. I saw him at the last 2 shows we were at. He had his new (And very nice) wife him at Red Deer.

Turns out my wife taught his kids years ago in Fort Mac.
Small world.

Jamie
Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 PM

Default Mikisew Sportfishing

Anyone heard from Tim lately. I am trying to book a trip for late June. I have heard conflicting reports on if they will be open this year or not.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
Thanks for the heads up. They have a booth at the sportsman show next week in Edmonton so I planned to head there and have a chat with them about booking something. I will certainly ask to see if things are on the up and up.

Island Lake lodge, NW of Ft Mac 1/2 hr by air. Been there and the pike fishing was superb, with decent Walleye thrown in. Good hosts, no guides(not necessary), lake never gets too rough.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing2 View Post
Anyone heard from Tim lately. I am trying to book a trip for late June. I have heard conflicting reports on if they will be open this year or not.
Got our trip confirmed. It takes some persistence with Tim, but well worth it. This is our third trip.

ps. I think June is full