Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-07-2014, 03:34 PM

I have never had any luck with muskrat for bait. Lynx, beaver or grouse feathers work best with marten magic as lure.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM

You're doing good on marten nube.

Here's a photo that shows lynx tracks. See how round they are? When they walk in deep snow their tracks are never straight like a coyote but weave back and forth. If you see a track on a hard surface you can see they retract their claws just like a house cat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynx gear 14.jpg (47.5 KB, 379 views)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 PM

By the way my axe is set up for snares. The black tape is at 11" high - the bottom of my snare. By coincidence the handle is 20" high which gives me the top of my 9" loop. If the handle is longer I file a small notch at 11" & 20" for snare heights, as tape can fall off. I stand the axe up at every lynx snare I set even after all these years if I can.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
By the way my axe is set up for snares.
Mine is too.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:06 AM

Nube, this is one of the best threads on the forum. I'm living vicariously on a trap line through your story and pictures.

Congratulations on your success and I look forward to reading more of your trap line story.

BW
Old 12-09-2014, 07:51 PM

Pics from the last outing

Here is a Lynx Pen I made. It has 3 entrances and a big chunk of beaver in the middle with a goose wing and some powder River lynx lure

Old 12-09-2014, 08:34 PM

Great thread Nube! Thanks for sharing your season!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 PM

I LOVE this thread. Keep it coming!

Old 12-13-2014, 07:43 PM

your having a great season on the new line keep it up.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM

This summer Nube signed myself and another friend on as partners on his foothills line. We made a trip up on the weekend. Here is a quick rundown….

We arrived at the trail head at 8:30pm Fri where we promptly blew a brake line. After triaging that situation, we got the tire chains installed and chewed our way into the cabin. In the morning we unloaded the sleds and could only get one sled running properly (1970’s bravo style). The newer skandic would idle but would die when under load. It appears to be a fuel issue downstream of the carbs. Rather than over load the 300 cc bravo style sled we decided to walk as much of the line as possible. We walked for 8 hours…..it was a long day. We picked up two marten, a weasel, and an incidentally caught flying squirrel. The crusty snow made it difficult to identify fresh sign. We set some snares on obvious canine travel paths and rebaited marten boxes. In the evening we poured over the maps and traced a couple stretches of new line we are keen to open up. The weekend weather was awesome. Enjoy the pics. The first couple pictures are of a unique trap i have never seen before, it was burrried in a corner of the shed.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:42 AM

Hey nube great thread. That old trap looks like an early coon cuff. Not sure the size. Of the hole but pretty cool. Hope your having fun on your line.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Hey nube great thread. That old trap looks like an early coon cuff. Not sure the size. Of the hole but pretty cool. Hope your having fun on your line.
I am having a blast. It's fun having a couple buddies like Drake and my other friend to share it with. Sad to hear the skidoo wasn't working well or they would have had a lot more fur to take pics of. It will be fun trying to figure this whole line out. I didn't know that trap was in there Drake. Did you see the mini sizes conibear trap as well Drake? It's perfect size for squerrels is all
Old 12-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
The first couple pictures are of a unique trap i have never seen before, it was burrried in a corner of the shed.

That appears to be an original promo model of a trap developed by a trapper back in the early 80's from the small community of Ymir near Salmo, BC, back in the early 80's for marten. I had a dozen or so of them but he never got them into mass production or approved as a humane trap. They are now a collectors item as far as I know.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Got a bit of fur that I took in. Got a little more than half the coyotes done here for this auction. Will try and get the rest done for the following auction. I think the only thing I will send in this year will be coyotes and rats. Marten will have to wait for a year or 2 till prices sort themselves out and make it worth it.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Looks good !hopefully the coyote prices stay decent !
Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Good work nube. They look like a good size. Congrats.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Right on Nube! Sounds like your having a blast! Great thread!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Great catch of yotes.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:47 PM

That's a nice batch of coyotes Nube. maybe use the cash to buy a new sled!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
That's a nice batch of coyotes Nube. maybe use the cash to buy a new sled!
Funny man......
Old 12-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
That appears to be an original promo model of a trap developed by a trapper back in the early 80's from the small community of Ymir near Salmo, BC, back in the early 80's for marten. I had a dozen or so of them but he never got them into mass production or approved as a humane trap. They are now a collectors item as far as I know.
I have a dozen I acquired with the first line. I used them a few times and they are deadly. But I had a few that had tracks to them an refused.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:11 PM

nice cyotes

Last edited by jawa; 12-16-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wrong post
Old 12-16-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Funny man......
I thought it was funny as well. Brian and a few others warned me about my 1979 citation 300 lol It works awesome if the trail is packed. My buddies dad fixed up the skandic now so I plan on getting out with the kids to the line this weekend and do some fishing and check some traps.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Well I just got back from a good little trip with the kids. I got all 4 kids out on the line and did some trapping and some fishing. Fishing was real slow and wasn't much fun at all. We had a few more firsts as well with a lynx in a cubby set and a mink that was stealing bait in the storage shed. I used my new Pelican sled and it worked real well. I had enough room for 2-3 kids and a bit of gear as well.
Weather was good. The otter are making a fool out of me. They are all over but I just can't catch one. I got some real good spots set this time so I hope it happens next trip out.
Downside of the trip was finding 2 of my boxes ripped off the tree and one box completely smashed. The mini bullzozer tracks was proof that is was a logger or oil worker out on a cutline and had no respect for my property. At least the trap was still there. If I find out what company it was it isn't going to be pretty.

I saw this mink the night we got there. My daughter set the trap and in the morning she checked it and was so excited to find we caught it.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 AM

There is a beaver lodge 50 yards away and then next to the shore is a hole in the ice. I found 2 trails coming out from the hole. There must be a couple otter in the lodge and keeping the hole open. Hopefully i got one next time out. The hole is still open water so hope it works

Here is the hole

Here is another hole in a small stream where the otter is coming in and out. There is a toilet behind me in this pic about 10 yards. Got a 330 in the hole so it should work.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Great pics nube congrats
Old 12-21-2014, 11:51 AM

great pics congrats on the lynx and mink kids look like they had a blast
Sorry to here about your traps if you go to forestry they can tell you what company has permits then get ahold of company they are usually very good about compensating also you should recive written notification months before any work starts the oil and gas and logging companies have probaly not updated there contact information give them hec they will improve
Old 12-21-2014, 12:16 PM

i love to see the kids involved .. soooo great .. good legacy to leave them with yrs to come man ....the kids will never forget and the girls will have something on the men in their life likely .. i applaud that