Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 09:44 AM

Default Another "which rifle" thread.

To my surprise my wife started encouraging me to get another rifle, "But this time get exactly what you want". I hadnt really planned on getting another one any time soon but it seems like too good of an opportunity to let pass, so I plan on selling off a few and getting just one nice rifle to do the bulk of my hunting with. I'm planning on spending 1-2K on the rifle, being primarily a bush hunter I don't really want a barrel longer than 22", and the rifle needs to be fairly light for stillhunting all day. Here's a few rifles I've been considering, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Winchester M70, either a Featherweight or a Extreme Weather model.

Weatherby Vanguard Camila, I know its supposed to be a lady's gun but I handled one and liked the way it felt, like the short barrel and wood stock.

Henry Long Ranger, I've been hunting with bolt guns so long I'm not real sure about this one. But I like the way it handles, the short barrel, and the iron sights.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...s-hs-precision

just a thought...7-08.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yeah, prior to Remington declaring bankruptcy again the 7 would have made my short list. Probably going to go with a 308 if I get a short action, .270 if I get a long action. Not too concerned about the exact chambering to be honest... at 40 yards pretty much anything gets the job done.

Its funny, because at a glance the Long Ranger seems like it should be the easy choice for me, but its just such a wild departure from what I'm used to it seems like it might be a gamble whether I will like it or not.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-14-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
To my surprise my wife started encouraging me to get another rifle, "But this time get exactly what you want".
Can your wife call mine, because I think you're pulling my leg!

Weatherby makes a fine gun --I almost just bought that same gun, very nice
Old 08-14-2020, 11:32 AM

kimber montana
Old 08-14-2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Savage 110 ultra light
The stock is very adjustable
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
kimber montana
X2, or Sako!!
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Can your wife call mine, because I think you're pulling my leg!

Howa makes a fine gun --I almost just bought that same gun, very nice
Fixed it for you.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Get what you want. My must haves on hunting rifles ( for still hunting, thick bush)
Short. 22" or less barrel
Low comb. To accommodate low mounted scope and irons
Iron sights
Low powered scope in qd rings
Flush fit mag or internal mag
under 8lb loaded

Btw hunting with a lever action is awesome for mid-short range. Pump actions are also great for hunting thick stuff. But ultimately get what you want and what points and feels perfect
Old 08-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Given your stated uses and the choices you started with, I would suggest for short range, bush and the like, impossible to beat the Marlin Guide gun with the 18" barrel in 45-70. Effective range easily 250 yards. They will clover leaf at 100 and whether open sights, peep or a scope they are quick handling, fast pointing and lots of thump. As long as you as you stick to 1600 fps with 350 RN they don't even have much kick. Making them go faster just hurts your shoulder, it doesn't kill one bit better. Put a hammer extension on it if you use a scope.

If you want something in 308 or 270, Browning BLR.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Get what you want. My must haves on hunting rifles ( for still hunting, thick bush)
Short. 22" or less barrel
Low comb. To accommodate low mounted scope and irons
Iron sights
Low powered scope in qd rings
Flush fit mag or internal mag
under 8lb loaded

Btw hunting with a lever action is awesome for mid-short range. Pump actions are also great for hunting thick stuff. But ultimately get what you want and what points and feels perfect
Pretty much my same criteria. Personally, I'd like the rifle a little closer to 7.5lbs, and being that I like to stick to using one rifle all season I also want to be able to make the occasional 300 yard shot when hunting river bottoms and more broken country.

I started hunting with a borrowed 94 and liked it, but more recently I went through a pump action phase and ended up going back to bolt actions, so I'm wary of experimenting too much at this point. Specifically I'm not sure how much I'm going to like using a hammer cock safety with a low mounted scope. I'm uncommonly particular about my safety's.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-14-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 PM

I know it’s a bit vanilla, but a T3x Battue in 308 with a Masi QD mount is a pretty skookum all rounder. That’s around the $1500 mark, add an FXII 4x and head for the range. You could drop it in a B&C stock or buy one in walnut right off the hop too, if wood floats your boat.

So you see Dean, it’s not impossible to beat the Marlin.

I also really like my Kimber Montana in 7-08.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM

Don't forget Marlin is Rem now too. How about a TC Encore, 7 different versions, blued and stainless, lots of cartridge choices, even with a 24" bbl is shorter than a lot of 22" bbl'd guns. Can change cartridges just with another bbl, no mag lengths to worry about, or mags to lose. Well within the budget.

Or sell a couple extras and get a #1
Old 08-14-2020, 01:09 PM

A T3X Battue or a Browning Micro would fit the bill really well. Light and handy, with a variety of chamberings to cover any and all game species ........ all the way from .243 to 9.3x62
Old 08-14-2020, 01:32 PM

Default Light rifkey

I just weighed all my rifles the other night on my digital fish scale. Assuming it’s accurate still ( I tested it a few years ago), my Winchester model 70 featherweight in 7mm08, topped with a Leupold 3.5 -10x50 and a leather sling weighed in at 8lb 4 oz?! Not exactly ultralight by today’s standards?! It is a joy to carry in the Bush compared to my longer barreled rifles like my super grade which is 4” longer and a full 2 lbs heavier?! I’ll an old school “ wood nut” and have used the model 70s for the last 30 years without any issue. Prophet river has some in stock.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Don't forget Marlin is Rem now too. How about a TC Encore, 7 different versions, blued and stainless, lots of cartridge choices, even with a 24" bbl is shorter than a lot of 22" bbl'd guns. Can change cartridges just with another bbl, no mag lengths to worry about, or mags to lose. Well within the budget.

Or sell a couple extras and get a #1
Rem going banjo is part of the reason I suggested the Marlin. Get one while you are sure u still can.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Ruger Hawkeye compact laminate would be my first choice if it came with iron sights. The guide gun in 30-06 would be a great option as well if I had to choose a " nice" factory bolt gun.
But I do love hunting with my Marlins too. 30-30 or 45-70 fit, carry and shoot so well for me.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, prior to Remington declaring bankruptcy again the 7 would have made my short list. Probably going to go with a 308 if I get a short action, .270 if I get a long action. Not too concerned about the exact chambering to be honest... at 40 yards pretty much anything gets the job done.

Its funny, because at a glance the Long Ranger seems like it should be the easy choice for me, but its just such a wild departure from what I'm used to it seems like it might be a gamble whether I will like it or not.
I wouldn't let the bankruptcy deter your decision....any smith can do a repair if required but I doubt that will ever happen...sweet little rifles for sure.

Old 08-14-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't let the bankruptcy deter your decision....any smith can do a repair if required but I doubt that will ever happen...sweet little rifles for sure.
I've seen some truly terrible work done when people figure they are losing their jobs.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I've seen some truly terrible work done when people figure they are losing their jobs.
true..maybe source out an older used model but in great condition...I also like the idea people have thrown around of a lever marlin...JM stamped of course..might as well go 45/70 then....just becuzzze.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Default Tikka CTR

Take a look at the Tikka Compact Tactical Rifle. The 308 is only got a 20 inch barrel. I have owned a couple and they are pretty nice rifles.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10609...tactical-rifle
Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
true..maybe source out an older used model but in great condition...I also like the idea people have thrown around of a lever marlin...JM stamped of course..might as well go 45/70 then....just becuzzze.
Yeah, the idea of picking up a JM Marlin in good condition has been rattling around in my head as well. Not being a reloader I'd be more inclined to go with a 30-30... like I said, at 40 yards it pretty much any round will get er done.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the idea of picking up a JM Marlin in good condition has been rattling around in my head as well. Not being a reloader I'd be more inclined to go with a 30-30... like I said, at 40 yards it pretty much any round will get er done.
There are lots of good factory loads for the 45.70. The Rem factory 405s are very effective and very light kicking as they are loaded to about 1400 fps. My favourite load is the 350 grain Hornady RN at 1700 fps but I dont know who is loading that one today. Winchesters factory ammo is inexpensive like the Rem but a bit hotter load.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
35 rem is a sweet deer/ black bear/ moose round in the 336 as well
Old 08-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Banned

I'm normally a Rem guy but I really like my Kimber. I have a Hunter in 308 and by far, its the lightest rifle I own. Although, it may not be mine anymore as I think son has kind of taken it over.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are lots of good factory loads for the 45.70. The Rem factory 405s are very effective and very light kicking as they are loaded to about 1400 fps. My favourite load is the 350 grain Hornady RN at 1700 fps but I dont know who is loading that one today. Winchesters factory ammo is inexpensive like the Rem but a bit hotter load.
Its more a matter of amo cost and availability for me. But the more I mull things over, the more it seems like I'm not really going to find a bolt gun too much better for what I do than the Husky's I already own. I could spend quite a bit of money and end up only marginally better off at best. The traditional lever gun option might be worth more serious consideration.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Its more a matter of amo cost and availability for me. But the more I mull things over, the more it seems like I'm not really going to find a bolt gun too much better for what I do than the Husky's I already own. I could spend quite a bit of money and end up only marginally better off at best. The traditional lever gun option might be worth more serious consideration.

Go for it. Pick your brand, get a highviz front sight ( bead or blade...your preference) and a rear peep from Skinner. Test out a few inserts and hunt with the one you like best. I can use my peeps out to 250 yds hunting and have even gone to 400 on high viz type targets. Light, fast, easy carry, easy pointing. Those big bush bucks won't know what hit them. Lol
Old 08-14-2020, 07:21 PM

Another option I have often thought about is a BP rifle. Still hunting timber just screams going old school with a front stuffer. It adds quite a bit of nostalgia as well as upping the difficulty level and would give a different level of satisfaction when you have meat on the ground.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:12 PM

I love the idea of the Camilla. My daughter has one and I have shot it. It's a very fast rifle to line up, well built rifle and shoots amazing. It's a little short in the comb for me, but the drop of the comb is actually quite comfortable - if they made one with a longer comb (and I realize you can add spacers quite easily) - that would be a great bush gun. Reminds me of a Remington model 7 - only better.

If it fits you, that's a great choice.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 PM

Tikka T3x Battue or Battue Lite is another option.
Open sites, 20" barrel, can be scoped.
Accuracy is a given.

Even a Sako A7 might work.

The M70 would be my last pick for a light bush rifle. I have owned several.
The Featherweight is not at all "feathery".
And the Extreme Weather could stand to lose at least 1 - 1.5 lbs.

Last edited by Buckhead; 08-14-2020 at 09:13 PM.