Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Alright!!!

The weekend of destruction.

So myself and Cohod head to a lake i know for some pike on a morning feed. We bury the truck in snow, durring a prairie blizzard, and spend a half hour digging the old ford out. So we finally get parked in THE SPOT. Just get out, start thinking i will punch a bait hole right now to get bait thawing, and wham, guess who realized they forgot to run to the freezer for the smelts. Back in, pound the p*ss out of the truck again getting outa there. Pound the truck some more to get back out with half the feed done. Managed to catch quite afew, nothing big. Freeze and thaw the hands approx 40 times each over the course of the morning and early afternoon, kinda leaves ya wondering how this sh*t can be called fun.
So we are rigged out and heding out. Gotta bust through the even bigger drift at the cattails. Hit er hard, Ya, hard on iron is all a guy can say. Breaking trail across the landowners feild again and manage to smoke a badger hole under full power breaking a foot and a half of snow. Yeehaw. Blow the driverside of the truck up into the air about 3 feet. I looked in the rearview while saying hello to the roof and see the 20lb propane bottle in mid air in the topper. After the smoke settled and we were stopped, the damage was a smashed tackle box, and 4 out of the 8 tip-ups i had back there were now sporting smashed reels, done.
So im headed to town yesterday with the intention of a new tackle box, and what do i do, i go right ahead and hit a hard snow drift with the passenger side of the truck and smash in the passenger rear door. Right on. Good lord i still dont know how i managed that. What a f-in gong show.
So this morning im heading to kick the nutz outa some whitefish. I get about 20 miles from home and im wondering what is wrong with the drive train. She all of a sudden has decided that any speed over 80km per hour she should violently shake and slip in and out of gear. Well its 1/4 to 9:00am saturday right now, i should be in my shack hammering whites for the first trip of the year, and im stranded at home with an untold sum in damages after 2 days of what i thought was tame fishing related adventure.

Just wanna say thanks for comin down there Coho, cant wait till the next trip buddy.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM

lol dude, what a terrible day !!!
If that was me , it would be best upon my return that I had not seen anyone in person cause I could not guarantee their safety

Crappy day man I feel your pain

Just looking at the temps , damn -28 !! anyone else out there ?????

Cheers !
Old 01-24-2009, 10:20 AM

I like the ice fishing, but -28 is too cold for me....kinda sucks, because I really wanted to go this weekend
Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Video?? Any Video? Do you have Video??

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM

I said "back 'er up and hit 'er hard lets see if we can break this B_ _ _ _ I mean Ford..."

with a stroke of the wheel and a glint in his eye he said "you cant break a Ford"...

Good thing the fishin' was so good cuz I still cant feel my hands

Sorry to hear about the Truck man what a pain in the - - - hope its not to expensive to fix...

sorry Redfrog no video but there is a hell of a good imprint of packs face in the roof ...show's the look of surprise and terror quite well...

cohod
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 AM

Yep, been there done that. The things we do for the fish we love!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Helluva story!! Thanks for posting; I have been there!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:02 PM

I was on gull today and it was freaking cold.

you have to skim your hole every 30 seconds.

Only 5 tents giving out smokes today

Managed few perchs, did see some whites swam and they didnt bite at all.

what a nice day!