Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default 2009 Salmon fishing thread

Ok guys...

Who is getting pumped up about this season?
Who’s going, where you going, How are you doing it, When are you going?

I am really pumped about the idea of hitting the salt water again this year.
Its going to be 9 family members and clients going to Prince Rupert again. We have the lodge to ourselves and will be fishing 3 to a boat. I like 2 more so than 3. But its ok on this trip.
Our dates are June 29-July 5.
Due to the flights, we are going to have another long day in Rupert as we arrive at 10 AM and can’t get to the lodge till 5-6 at night. Anyone know of anything cool to do in that little town.. Other than sit in the bar all day?

I want to try and pick up a Islander MR2 or MR3 Reel before we go, but I say that every year. If anyone knows of one or 2 for sale, please let me know.

I WILL land a 30#er + this year. I just know it

Jamie
Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Ok guys...

Who is getting pumped up about this season?
Who’s going, where you going, How are you doing it, When are you going?

I am really pumped about the idea of hitting the salt water again this year.
Its going to be 9 family members and clients going to Prince Rupert again. We have the lodge to ourselves and will be fishing 3 to a boat. I like 2 more so than 3. But its ok on this trip.
Our dates are June 29-July 5.
Due to the flights, we are going to have another long day in Rupert as we arrive at 10 AM and can’t get to the lodge till 5-6 at night. Anyone know of anything cool to do in that little town.. Other than sit in the bar all day?

I want to try and pick up a Islander MR2 or MR3 Reel before we go, but I say that every year. If anyone knows of one or 2 for sale, please let me know.

I WILL land a 30#er + this year. I just know it

Jamie
Im heading to terrace june 25-july 12 hitting the skeena, lakelse, copper, kitamat and kalum trying to beat my records 82lb chinook out of the kalum and 26lb steely out of the copper, my dad got a 30lb steely last aug at china bar. Im pumped went there last oct and got 22lb coho and the wife first timer 18lb coho she didnt even know how to reel yet lol. As long as i live ill return there just like the salmon . Best place on earth for fishing. Hopefully we will hit work channel for some crab codd snapper and halibut. My cousin a girl pulled a 425lb hally her first time on a charter out of prince rupert last summer man was i jealous lol but happy for her too. With the enhanced fish protection and regulations on commercial and native fisheries the fishing there is better than its been in 20 years and yes i fished it every year during that time. Anyone else heading there around that time let me know i grew up there and know all the hotspots. You buy some beer and share some stories and ill save you the coin you would waste paying a guide. Jamie you must like wasting money lol guides are for fools there lol. If you cant catch a 30lb fish from shore around terrace you not fishing lol.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagencounter View Post
Im heading to terrace june 25-july 12 hitting the skeena, lakelse, copper, kitamat and kalum trying to beat my records 82lb chinook out of the kalum and 26lb steely out of the copper, my dad got a 30lb steely last aug at china bar. Im pumped went there last oct and got 22lb coho and the wife first timer 18lb coho she didnt even know how to reel yet lol. As long as i live ill return there just like the salmon . Best place on earth for fishing. Hopefully we will hit work channel for some crab codd snapper and halibut. My cousin a girl pulled a 425lb hally her first time on a charter out of prince rupert last summer man was i jealous lol but happy for her too. With the enhanced fish protection and regulations on commercial and native fisheries the fishing there is better than its been in 20 years and yes i fished it every year during that time. Anyone else heading there around that time let me know i grew up there and know all the hotspots. You buy some beer and share some stories and ill save you the coin you would waste paying a guide. Jamie you must like wasting money lol guides are for fools there lol. If you cant catch a 30lb fish from shore around terrace you not fishing lol.
82 Pounder.. OMG!! Lets see some pics.

As for my lack of size.. well like they say size doesnt matter

Nah.. Its just me!! Just like Elk, those pesky 30#ers+ HATE ME!!!
I have seen days were guys release the 30+ on side of the boat and I cant get a whiff on my side... I think someone is saveing me up for a monster like your 82.

Even if you have posted pics of that pig, could you please post again.

Please tell me more about how you guys fish, I have never hit a river looking for Salmon. Take your own boat?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
82 Pounder.. OMG!! Lets see some pics.

As for my lack of size.. well like they say size doesnt matter

Nah.. Its just me!! Just like Elk, those pesky 30#ers+ HATE ME!!!
I have seen days were guys release the 30+ on side of the boat and I cant get a whiff on my side... I think someone is saveing me up for a monster like your 82.

Even if you have posted pics of that pig, could you please post again.

Please tell me more about how you guys fish, I have never hit a river looking for Salmon. Take your own boat?

Thanks
Jamie
we go cheap lawnchairs beer no boat set up along the kalum or lower skeena we use the typical spinning glow setup tipped with roe. bottom bouncing works good too, fly fish for steely and sokeye as well. I always reccomend shore fishing in my books you catch way more then from a boat. No time wasting driving or noisy motors and the salmon run up the rivers is huge. the skeena holds the biggest fish . Kalum if you want the giants ive seen 100lb plus taken several times about 3km up from the bridge. Most of us that grew up there have never fished from a boat and always catch lots of big salmon. If you got the coin thats great but a guy can go there without all the extras and guaratee a great trip. Avoid the kitamat over fished and the fish are real spooky there and lots of hatchery fish boo. I have pics of the steelhead but cant figure out how to shrink it to fit on this site. Dont trust the guides there remember they make their only money off tourists there. If you have more questions pm me. Have an awsome trip i miss the eagles and bears and i can already hear FISH ON echoing of the mountains.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM

We'll be fishing off Sooke again in July, 20 - 25th or so.
It's the odd year so we'll likely bring back 25 or so, just the 3 - 5 pounders, Coho and pinks likely, maybe a sockeye or 2. Just can't keep the kid & wife interested long enough to go after the big springs.
The meal size ones are good in the freezer for the year.
I may fish in tight for springs with my uncle if the wife goes shopping for one day.

TBark
Old 05-18-2009, 03:47 PM

I'm getting antsy...just bought a new 27ft Grady White as our 2nd boat, so we have the 31ft Pursuit and the Grady rockin' the fish this year! Always a HUGEEE competition between our boats too...father vs. son lol Of course I'm usually victorious!!!

Getting some great reports out of Hardy, already catching some in the mid twenties!! Plus halibut and bottomfish extremely easily!! Good call on the salmon thread...will post all my reports on here for the summer. You'd think since there is a "recession" it would be harder to get bookings, but this year is one of the most we have ever been...only 2 slots left...which there is a deal on for.

Last year lost 2 that were over 60 at the boat....and one I swear that we never saw but it had to be over 60lbs...this year, we are going to catch at least one of those...I can feel it in my bonessssssssssss.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM

Just finished discussing with my wife and I am going to fish out of rupert with my uncle for halis,ling and some springs on his boat out on the salt. I will get there on june 20, and even if the springs in the sceena are bigger there is something about fishing in the deep salt water. Gord
Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher Gord View Post
Just finished discussing with my wife and I am going to fish out of rupert with my uncle for halis,ling and some springs on his boat out on the salt. I will get there on june 20, and even if the springs in the sceena are bigger there is something about fishing in the deep salt water. Gord
best thing about the salt is you never know what you might catch. i remember the old man swearing he had a huge hali on thenwhen it got up it was a giant octopus man are those things hard to get off the side of a boat, taste great though.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
I'm getting antsy...just bought a new 27ft Grady White as our 2nd boat, so we have the 31ft Pursuit and the Grady rockin' the fish this year! Always a HUGEEE competition between our boats too...father vs. son lol Of course I'm usually victorious!!!

Getting some great reports out of Hardy, already catching some in the mid twenties!! Plus halibut and bottomfish extremely easily!! Good call on the salmon thread...will post all my reports on here for the summer. You'd think since there is a "recession" it would be harder to get bookings, but this year is one of the most we have ever been...only 2 slots left...which there is a deal on for.

Last year lost 2 that were over 60 at the boat....and one I swear that we never saw but it had to be over 60lbs...this year, we are going to catch at least one of those...I can feel it in my bonessssssssssss.
Hey I think the one over 60 has my name on it...I gotta beat the 47 my kid caught up there 2 years ago....he never lets me forget the little chit... oh and congrats on the new boat, those Grady's are the best....
Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Just finished installing my trim tabs, heading for Dundas Isl. for the last week of June
Old 05-18-2009, 05:11 PM

Going to be spending the 1st week of Sep on North Vancouver Island at Duval Point Lodge. Since its my "home waters" (grew up there), will be self-guiding. Taking wife and 2 friends.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Hey I think the one over 60 has my name on it...I gotta beat the 47 my kid caught up there 2 years ago....he never lets me forget the little chit... oh and congrats on the new boat, those Grady's are the best....
If you catch one over 60 when you are up with us, you better become a Canucks fan
Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
If you catch one over 60 when you are up with us, you better become a Canucks fan
Oh Ya if I catch one over 60 up there I will be a Canucks fan....(for the summer)....
Old 05-19-2009, 11:44 PM

Salmon fishing around Vancouver Island is apparently heating up very nicely...lots in mid 20's showing up already...real early and in good numbers which is a great indication of the upcoming season!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Salmon fishing around Vancouver Island is apparently heating up very nicely...lots in mid 20's showing up already...real early and in good numbers which is a great indication of the upcoming season!!!
Though this year is a "Free" trip, I just left a message with my guide. I think I am going to see if he has a few days before hand to take me out. It would be nice to really concentrate for a couple of days then let the good times roll once all the Yahoos show up.

Jamie
Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 AM

Shocked you haven't caught one over 30lbs yet Jamie!! I can't think of a single day last year in July and Aug where we didn't catch one over 30lbs. If you want seriously good fishing, you know where to find it
Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

DSS..
Shocked doesnt discribe how I feel about it.

But I have come oh so close. I have hit 29 and change more than a few times.
What I lack in quality I have more than made up in quantity.
And I sure am haveing fun looking for it!

Like I said, perhaps the fishing Gods are saving some truely huge hog for me.
I am thinking 70#s

Every trip I have been on, I have seen a 50 pounder caught. With the exception of last year and then I saw 2 over 50 with one being WAY WAY over 50 released at a distance.LOL
So I think I am hitting the right places, I just need to get a bit more lucky.. My time will come.. Oh yeah it will come.

Take care
Jamie
Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM

I am heading to Langara in 6 days for Chinook, halibut, ling and snapper. We have great luck every year so hopefully this will be no exception. My biggest Chinook so far is 36 pounds... I hope to get one in the 40's or 50's this year. A buddy got a 52 lber last year.

Cheers

Sun
Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Sundance.. You know a fiull trip report and pics are a MUST DO!

Good luck.
Who are you going with?

As a little treat, if you want a great meal on your layovers in Vancouver, grab a cab and head to the Flying Beaver. Its right close to the Airport.

Jamie
Old 05-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Sundance.. You know a fiull trip report and pics are a MUST DO!

Good luck.
Who are you going with?

As a little treat, if you want a great meal on your layovers in Vancouver, grab a cab and head to the Flying Beaver. Its right close to the Airport.

Jamie
I organize a group trip through our social club at work. We fly direct to Masset and helicopter into Langara Fishing Lodge from there. We always have a great time. So far the biggest fish caught on our trips to date is:

Halibut 191 lbs
Chinook 54 lbs
Coho 18 lbs
Lingcod 66 lbs
Snapper 24 lbs
Salmon shark 180 lbs
Humpback whale...to small to measure...threw him back to grow bigger...
Old 05-20-2009, 04:28 PM

My brother is in River's Inlet for the entire month of August in exchange for fixing a buddy's boat for free the last couple years. Im headed up there from the 16th-23rd... Can't freakin wait! Going to break a world record this year!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM

I can't wait for July to come. I'm towing my fathers boat out to Port Hardy, July 10-19 th. I haven't been out to the west coast since 1990. Serengeti, I'd be glad to accept any tips/advice that you are willing to offer. My father has fished there quite a bit and seems to do ok, but I'm always willing to try something different. I plan on bringing my digital camera, so I hope to have lots of pics........
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM

For sure elnino54...if you have any questions I"m more than willing to help out (without revealing secret spots of course lol), throw me an email, canucksfanatic44@hotmail.com
Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Default Salmon

We're heading to Ucluelet the second week of Aug on our annual trip. Always great fishing unless the weather doesn't cooperate. Everyone usually catches at least one Chinook each over 30# on a two or three day trip with lots of feeders. Last year the biggest was only in the mid twenties though. The largest so far has been 42#. We always hear of the larger fish, but haven't been fortunate enough to hook up. The coho can run up to the high teens.

I hear about fishing the best tides which is supposed to have the better bite. It lands between the full and new moon. I've heard the weather is most stable at this time. I'm not sure if it's true but I'm sure someone with more knowledge can comment. I'll try and attach a few pic's.

Tight lines!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ucce 1.JPG (99.1 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Ucce 2.JPG (89.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Ucce 3.JPG (51.2 KB, 178 views)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Fishing off of Vancouver Island the past week has been the best seen at this time of the year since the 70's. 315 Chinook brought in to one boat ramp in 3 days!!! Nice size too! So frustrating I am not yet in the water fishing them!! Cant wait...shaping up to be one hell of a year!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Wow...just read about a guy's day out on the water today on another forum...in 3hrs, landed 20 Springs with 3 doubleheaders!!! Things are looking UNREAL this year for salmon and halibut! UN-effing-REAL! Never have I even heard of this good of fishing this early....and not to worry, the fish most likely arne't coming early, as most of the fish he got into were the May size of 12-18or20lbs. This are bright days for salmon...let's hope it continues!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM

Who else is heading out west for some fishing this summer??
Old 05-26-2009, 10:45 PM

i contemplated heading up to Naden Lodge as my past president has purchased it and invited me up (but to pay full price, cheap buggar) but I opted to go back up to Wolf Lake in the Yukon. What an amazing place. lake to yourself, spectacular scenery, wonderful food and hosts and of course excellent Lake Trout, Pike and Grayling fishing.. Heading up mid June. there is something about the Yukon that I just can't get enough of. Sorry to semi hi-jack your thread but thats my big fishing trip for this year. West Coast next year.
SS
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Wow...just read about a guy's day out on the water today on another forum...in 3hrs, landed 20 Springs with 3 doubleheaders!!! Things are looking UNREAL this year for salmon and halibut! UN-effing-REAL! Never have I even heard of this good of fishing this early....and not to worry, the fish most likely arne't coming early, as most of the fish he got into were the May size of 12-18or20lbs. This are bright days for salmon...let's hope it continues!!!!!!!!!!!!
What other site??

I CANT FRIGGEN WAIT TO GO!!

Jamie
Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Banned

Getting the bug again big time myself. Its been just over a month since I was out west on the Hali trip and I am feeling the call again big time.

Not to sure were I am heading this summer, we were thinking of hitting Nootka in August and may still do that or back to Sooke. I do like Sooke it has treated me well over the years and I do know the waters well so that helps. But I do know that Nootka can produce some unbeleivable fishing. The last time I was there about 4 years ago by the 3rd day of a 5 day trip we were releasing multiple 25# & 30# Chinook a day cause we had enough.. I have been looking into a couple lodges around Nootka that offer do it yourself opurtunities where you can bring your own boat and groceries makes it very affordable. That is one thing about Sooke and where we stay at Sunny Shores it is very affordable. By all acounts its supposed to be a decnt year for Chinook and if nothing else it is a Pink year ( pesky little buggers ) so there should be lots of action.

One thing is for sure is that the wife is not coming,, she has had enough Slamon fishing for a while she is taking a year off. So when I do head out it will be a stag trip. Hopefully my oldest son will make it out and probably just one other person and it will be just a 5 or 6 day trip this year strictly fishing though,,, should be fun.

Best of luck to all this year and do not forget the camera's at home guys,, lets see those pics..