Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 PM

Default timber wolf hunting story

As I promised I will post the story just because this forum gave me so much about hunting. It's time for me to give something back to amuse some of you hopefully.

It was a very difficult deer season for me this year. I have several sweet spots all about 2 to 3 hours from home. Usually there are many deer running around, but barely see any foot prints this year. I blamed this is because we have too many hunters. Obviously I was wrong.

After several unsuccessful hunting trips(but I still enjoyed every each trip lol....), I decided to drive a little further to the north. I like to walk. I chose a small trail walking very slowly after parking my vehicle. How slow? 2 miles cost me about 3 hours! I did see some fresh deer foot prints this time, but not many. Way less than previous years. The weather was cold and after a while I though maybe I could sit a while to catch my breath and refresh myself......

Still no deer.... So, I decided to walk out of the woods. I saw a SUV coming. It's a hunter road hunting around. We talked a bit and he said he saw a timber wolf standing on a leasing road about 15 min ago not far from the spot where we talked, and then drove away. I became excited thinking if I could be lucky enough to get a timber wolf today. That's way better than a WT. I keep walking on the lease road with the wind on my face. It was so so cold, but I still leave my two ears stick out.... lol....

A deep slope ahead. I walked as slow as I could. After I climbed almost on the top of the slope, suddenly I saw two things moving just down the road about 60 to 100 yard away. One grey like coyote, anther one black. Instinct told me set up the rifle prepare to shoot. In about 2 to 3 seconds, I was ready and I saw from my scope, these are wolfs! To my knowledge, there is no black coyote, and coyote never stay together with a wolf.....The grey one was at the front and black one just behind standing side by side. Obviously they saw me as well because I could see from my rifle scope that they are standing looking at me nervously. Aim... release safety..... bang! I saw the grey one down!!! This certainly shocked the black one. She was still standing wondering. I aimed and pull the trigger.....no bullet in the chamber! load the bullet, aim again.... I saw the black one running like a crazy into the woods.....

The grey one lying there kicking and struggling. Obviously it was a clean shot. After about 5 min or so, he stopped moving. But I was still very nervously walking towards the wolf thinking I will be solid dead if he suddenly jump on me. He should be more than 100lb, big one. I leave my safety open holding the rifle aiming at the wolf until I was 100% sure he was dead.... It was a male timber wolf!

I thought of gutting the wolf and prepared everything after taking exciting pictures, but I gave up since I knew there was another wolf in the woods. Who knows what could happen? So, I packed up and drove home just be safe.....

End of story and thank you everyone for reading.

Last.... it would be very much appreciated if anyone could recommend me a tannery or taxidermist. Thank you in advance!

Some other photos for you lol.....

Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 PM

Awesome, thanks for the story! Too bad you missed the other one, do you think you short stroked the bolt?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Banned

Great post!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odsixer View Post
Awesome, thanks for the story! Too bad you missed the other one, do you think you short stroked the bolt?
No, I was too excited that I forget I am not using a semi-auto.... I used semi-auto shotgun all the duck season...lol...
Old 11-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Beauty wolf. I like the look of that rifle. What is it?
Old 11-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Beauty wolf. I like the look of that rifle. What is it?
Browning
Old 11-19-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Browning
Congratulations! By the way which WMU you was shot this big bad dog? Beauty rifle ,Also what caliber is it ? Just curious!

Last edited by hunterchen; 11-19-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Thumbs up

Awesome
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Taxidermist Recommendation...

Hey There,

Congrats on a great and tough to get animal! I have read plenty of stories of veteran hunters who have tried for years to get a clean shot at a wolf, and it often ends up that they never get their chance!

I was actually lucky enough to get a nice wolf myself this year early in the season. Good plan combined with some good luck. That's a story for another day.

But as wolves are tough to get, if you are planning a full mount I would recommend checking out Sugar Creek Taxidermy in Red Deer. Wolves are one of those animals that are tough to really do well, and from what I have seen personally there aren't a lot of taxidermists who can really nail the details.

Sugar Creek does the best cats that I've ever seen (which is a true test!), and they have done some excellent wolves as well. Same as anything else, if you want first class work you need to pay for it. But the quality of the wolves I saw in the shop were amazing, and I'm have full confidence that when my wolf is done it will look like it could rip my arm off!

I think there are more guys that can do a nice rug, but if you're looking for a full mount and really want a nice job done, I would chat with Marco at Sugar Creek and check out his website.

No matter what you do with the wolf now - good job on a successful hunt!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:48 AM

Default wolf rug

..congrats.... took my wolf to Fred Thompson down in Coaldale last year and had a carpet done up. great job, quick turn around (less than one year) and awesome result. PM me your contact and I'll send you my cell phone pic of finished product if you want. Did check out Marco and others, but found best price with Fred. Big money if you are looking for a full mount FYI... timberj
Old 11-24-2017, 04:56 PM

Thank you guys for the great suggestions. I have sent the hide for tanning just because I don't have so much money for mounting. I was told I can get it tanned first and then I can decide how to mount in the future when I hope I could make more money...lol
Old 11-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Amazing story.
Thank you for sharing it. Love hearing about wolf hunts.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 AM

Congrates on the wolf and thanks for sharing a story. I wouldnt worry about being attacked by other wolves, wolves are scared of man, they are likely run if you have pursuit. They often have a general direction they are going and can often be intercepted if you know where the next opening and lines are. Often if you stay others will show up to, sometimes offing another shot opportunity. Dont gut them just skin. Wear gloves as they can carry diseases.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Walked into a pack today they are now leaderless
Old 11-25-2017, 10:26 AM

Great job. Thanks for the story and pics. Nice looking rifle to.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Browning
Caliber?