Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-25-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Fish Timid Around the Under Water Cam?

I have a fish tv with the "fish look a like" camera lense, or also called the "anti-spook" and last winter my first time out with it, fishing for Rainbows and seen a couple but they would hit and then leave very oddly. I pulled up the cam and bang! the fish were on like crazy! Tried it again 2 days later, got fish, put the cam down then no fish, waited about 45mins, nothing, pulled it up again and wammo again! Used it for pike and pike were not as aggressive as i would have thought, but it was a new lake too.
Has anyone else noticed this? I used another cam one time with just the black camera housing and the fish were even checking it out.

Anything i can be learneded?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:33 AM

That's why lots of guys rig their cameras to look down from above instead of horizontally. Some fish are more skittish of cameras than others. It's nice to have a flasher as well as a camera because once you know there are fish there and what kind they are, you can pull up the camera and use the flasher.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 PM

Do you have a light on the camera? Sometimes that can change things having the light on. Do you drill another hole a few feet away from your hole with the line in it? Sure is kewl watchin fish in clear lakes on em tho!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:08 PM

When i got my vex, i stowed the camera and caught alot more perch. They do seem camera shy.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:06 PM

yeah, ive noticed that trout are, especially, camera shy.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwuzhere View Post
Do you have a light on the camera? Sometimes that can change things having the light on. Do you drill another hole a few feet away from your hole with the line in it? Sure is kewl watchin fish in clear lakes on em tho!!
i do drill a separate hole, and nope never had to use the light yet.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Never used a cam (I used a flasher) but many modern ice anglers say the same thing - fish ARE often more skittish around a cam.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:01 PM

i think they are sesitive to the electrical signals the cameras produce in the water
Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 PM

I agree with Cee Zee. Drill a seperate hole. It also prevents your line and camera cord from tangling if you get a fish on. We drill a hole within 3 feet of the primary fishing holes. We never had a problem last year and it was entertaining to watch the fish and their actions
Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM

I ususally do not have a problem. I went out fishing yesterday and both whitefish and pike were biting around the camera. In fact the pike were very aggressive and four attacked the camera. A big part is the clarity of the water but I have had success catching all species with the camera down the hole. Just watch my youtube videos. I have pike, burbot, whitefish, and trout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e8iIRH0rf4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUd92NlE4G0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRlP_w4-vE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jltvs4XQmm0