Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Default Gull or Sylvan?

Hey everyone!

I'm planning on hitting the hardwater tomorrow with my brother. Just wondering if any of you folks will be out there? Where is everyone headed? I'm most likely going to hit Birch Bay on Gull, but I'm rather easy to persuade if there is fish to be caught. I have my '94 toyota pickup, From what i hear it would be safe to drive out onto the ice, assuming I don't venture out too far. Can anyone confirm this? Let me know if you're headed out tomorrow, and maybe we can meet up and shoot the ****.

Hope to meet some new people tomorrow!

-Jeff
Old 12-29-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm planning on hitting the hardwater tomorrow with my brother. Just wondering if any of you folks will be out there? Where is everyone headed? I'm most likely going to hit Birch Bay on Gull, but I'm rather easy to persuade if there is fish to be caught. I have my '94 toyota pickup, From what i hear it would be safe to drive out onto the ice, assuming I don't venture out too far. Can anyone confirm this? Let me know if you're headed out tomorrow, and maybe we can meet up and shoot the ****.

Hope to meet some new people tomorrow!

-Jeff
I was up at Brownloes on Saturday. The ice thickness is pretty variable so keep an eye on it as you go (8-15"). There is a tonne of snow, and the road at Brownloes was short. I ended up getting stuck a few times in my '98 4Runner, but nothing the diff lock and lo gears couldn't get me out of ;]. You will be better off then most in your light weight rig (22RE right?), just drill test holes as you go and bring a shovel. Be safe.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:49 PM

I heard both those lakes are dead right now..
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM

i was out on xmas day on sylvan, although we got skunked we did get 2 bites for the few hours we were there, now i entered at r.r 20 at norglen and followed the packed trail on the ice, with a ford excersion(10000 pound truck) and seemed fine there was 8 inches in some place over 15 in others, i personly should of tested first but followed another superduty in, stupid of me but it was fine. but about a foot of snow, with ur rig u should be fine but be safe hopefully this helps
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
I heard both those lakes are dead right now..
One way to find out. And if I don't go stare down a hole in the ice for the day, I'll sit at home and do nothing. So, as said by many, "A bad day of fishing is better than anything else I'd be doing."

Besides, I've got an edge over everyone.

Actually. I don't. But, you never know.

-Jeff
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM

was at sylvan today, saw lots of whites, not very big, odd bigger one would swim thru, they where pretty picky on what they wanted to bite
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM

I was at Gull north east yesterday from 2 to 5 saw two nice pike, only one bit
Old 12-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Default sylvan

been fishin for a few days weve caught 2 pike and 2 walleye
be careful around the edges monday someone dropped a half tonne dodge through the ice they managed to get it out the next day it did not look like fun
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

I know guys have been driving on Gull around the edges,I hear the ice in the middle is still fairly thin.I have driven on Sylvan but not all the way across, there are guys out in the middle with their trucks.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Lots of guys driving near shore at Brownlows on Gull... the ice is 13 inches for the most part but theres some thinner spots around (particularly under larger snow drifts). With all the snow that ice is expanding extremely slowly.