Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 PM

Post Best stocked trout pond near Calgary for kids 4-7 years old?

Hey folks, looking to get my 4 and 7 year old kids out for some half easy fishing, get them on their first fish. Plan to leave the boat home and fish from shore. Was thinking about taking them to Mt Lorette ponds to give that a go. Just curious if anyone has any info on how the fishing has been, etc. Also open to any other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Dewitt's pond is nice and close
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/...d=E3&number=90
Old 07-21-2016, 01:23 AM

There's the kids can catch pond at pierce estate. Lots of fat healthy rainbows that fight like hell. It's a bait ban though and the fishing is tough. Sunday evenings seem like the best time for some reason. Perhaps they arent fed over the weekends? It's catch and release. I've had my best luck using a bubble float with hopper dropper rigs, casting small marabou jigs and imitation eggs and soft rubber worms/maggots. Non scented/flavoured of course.

You might not catch anything but you'll have new found respect for stocked trout when you do. I believe these ones are crossed with pennask strain hence their fighting ability. You can see the fish in the pond and watch them inspect your lure. Frustrating but cool.

I know they run fishing clinics during the week for kids as well.

If you actually want to catch something there's dewitts, crossfield and chain. Chain is a bit further but you're practically guaranteed to catch something with powerbait, mealworms or crawlers. Grotto mountain pond is another option in canmore. Just make sure you're using small hooks and bait. Like size 6 minimum.

If you have a canoe fishing for pike at chestermere might be more productive. Same goes for glenmore. Mostly small pike but they're scrappy and would probably be tons of fun for kids. Fairly easy to catch as well. You can keep the tiny guys from glenmore but chestermere is basically catch and release. Shore fishing at chestermere can be decent too but you're better off in a canoe. Shore fishing at glenmore is also decent.

Mt lorette is a good choice though. Nice scenery. More quiet. Can be somewhat tough without a tube or small craft. Get there early.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the reply's fellas. Lots of good info for the future. We ended up going to Mt Lorrette and landed and released 9 trout, kids were ecstatic. I spent 3/4 of the time untangling lines lol, but it was worth it. The drive was almost as good as the fishing, and we had time to hit up Barrier lake on the way back to get their feet wet
Old 07-23-2016, 01:00 PM

Default Option II

If you are looking to have the young ones catch fish try Pine Coulee Res. down by Stavely (a few Km west of Hwy 2). The reservoir is all catch and release and stocked with thousands of walleye (good sized ones). They love worms or minnows and it easy to fish from the dock. Whenever I am there I see people catching 20-30 fish an hour. It is as close to a guarantee as fishing allows. The drive is an hour from hwy 22 and Macleod Tr.
It is my goto place when I have kids who have never caught fish. You can also catch fish from the shore in several places - just look for the people near the bridge.
Good Luck and glad to see you are passing on a great family tradition
Old 07-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Kids pond at Livingston hatchery. It's has tours and aquariums with all alberta fish species.
Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat519 View Post
If you are looking to have the young ones catch fish try Pine Coulee Res. down by Stavely (a few Km west of Hwy 2). The reservoir is all catch and release and stocked with thousands of walleye (good sized ones). They love worms or minnows and it easy to fish from the dock. Whenever I am there I see people catching 20-30 fish an hour. It is as close to a guarantee as fishing allows. The drive is an hour from hwy 22 and Macleod Tr.
It is my goto place when I have kids who have never caught fish. You can also catch fish from the shore in several places - just look for the people near the bridge.
Good Luck and glad to see you are passing on a great family tradition
Don't do it
Water has the algae bloom.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Don't do it
Water has the algae bloom.
not sure what you're talking about. I was there late last week and the water was fine - besides, its catch and release. The water was very low but the fish were still biting. This is about catching fish not eating them.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 AM

I take my grand-boys to Livingston Hatchery - they can at least see the trout swimming a round and occasionally catch one. Really close to home too.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:25 PM

Strath more has a kids pond, you can't fish but the kids can
Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM

I was out at Dewitt's tonight..
Had to be 30 plus people...
Really wish the Fishing and feather guys would check licenses there..
Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
I was out at Dewitt's tonight..
Had to be 30 plus people...
Really wish the Fishing and feather guys would check licenses there..
Someone I know said they saw an officer checking out there about a month ago. First time I have even heard of one out there in the 11 years I have been in Airdrie. Hopefully it will continue.

Tags
children, fishing, kids, trout