Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2016, 10:58 PM

Default unnamed lake NW of spray lake

Hey everyone,

I took my little float tube out to spray lakes the other night and jigged near the damn as it was the only place that was calm enough to float my little inflateable. I tried jigging with smelts and worms and had no luck after about 3 hours. I then drove a little further NW up the Smith-Dorian (towards Canmore). Just past spray lakes the road crosses over a canal draining from another small lake. I saw a bunch of little trout jumping in the canal and threw a tiny five of diamonds in for about an hour with no luck. I wanted to put my inflatable in that little lake there and try some jigging but I couldn't find the name of the lake on any map and therefore wasn't sure if bait was allowed or not. Does anyone know what lake this is? Is it part of Spray Lakes and do the Spray Lakes regs apply here. Also, what kind of fish are in here? Are there Lake trout like in Spray? Just to Clarify it's the first lake NW of the spray lakes dam along the Smith-Dorrian.

Thanks everyone
Old 07-22-2016, 11:23 PM

I think you are talking about goat pond
Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 AM

Ok thanks! I can't see anything specific in the regs for goat pond so I guess the es1 General regs would apply as far as bait and limits. I think I'm gonna head out there on Sunday and give some jigging a try. Any idea what species are in there?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:43 AM

The lakes are labeled on google maps if you zoom in far enough, I am pretty sure it is actually goat pond you are talking about but there is also Whiteman's Pond a little further up the road, its best to be sure.

Also I was reading the regs and I would make sure you are able to use the bait you were using in the specific waters you're in.

Specifically

"Fishing with Bait Fish is NOT allowed in ES1 except at the following waters:

Paine (Mami) Lake
Lees Lake
Ghost Reservoir
Pine Coulee Reservoir"

Last edited by millsboy79; 07-23-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:29 AM

you are OK with smelts at Spray but you would have been ticketed by the CO for using or even having with you on the water worms.

Careful next time.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
you are OK with smelts at Spray but you would have been ticketed by the CO for using or even having with you on the water worms.

Careful next time.
What?

"Spray Lakes Reservoir – Open all year – Trout limit 5, but only 3 may be Lake Trout; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait, except bait fish, allowed."

Am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Smelt are not considered bait fish. MINNOWS are bait fish.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
What?

"Spray Lakes Reservoir – Open all year – Trout limit 5, but only 3 may be Lake Trout; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait, except bait fish, allowed."

Am I missing something?
Yes part of the regulations.

Bait Fish means any of the following:
• suckers (family Catostomidae)
• sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
• trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
• Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
•minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 07-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Yes part of the regulations.

Bait Fish means any of the following:
• suckers (family Catostomidae)
• sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
• trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
• Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
•minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.

MAC
Yes I did miss something lol thanks
Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 PM

Thanks everyone, I googled goat pond and it popped up on google maps. That is definitely the lake I was referring to. After some research it seems there are really small mountain whites and cuts. Probably more suited to fly gear which I don't have at the moment. Will probably just head back to spray tomorrow instead and I plan on using worms lol. I'm pretty confused why worms aren't allowed at spray...there's nothing in the regs, says bait is allowed except bait fish. Are worms considered bait fish??? Doesn't say so in the regs and worms are definitely not fish.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:00 AM

you will be allowed worms then. no bait fish, but other bait is allowed
Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 PM

goat pond is very shallow, all I've caught there are brooks (yes, really) and whitefish. I suspect there are also cutts and possibly lakers. It's a fairly slow fishery.

there is also Buller pond just south of spray, stocked with rainbows and easy to fish.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-25-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgz View Post
I'm pretty confused why worms aren't allowed at spray...there's nothing in the regs, says bait is allowed except bait fish. Are worms considered bait fish??? Doesn't say so in the regs and worms are definitely not fish.
Worms are fine to use. Try raw shrimp too.

Tags
jigging, smith-dorrian, spray lakes, trout