Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Duck breast recipes

Hi there

Looking for skinless duck breast recipes. I tried cooking them in the past and they weren't very good since I tried cooking them like chicken. I got some mallard and teal breast. Any tips and recipes are appreciated!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 PM

Marinate overnight in Italian dressing. Cut down the side of the breast and make a little pocket. Stuff that with mozzarella and those pepperoncini peppers, toothpick to hold it together, BBQ with little sauce if you want. Then slice em in about 4 pieces. Awesome appy!
Old 10-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Just don't cook it anymore than medium rare. We did duck breasts with a balsamic reduction the other night. Just Google balsamic and shallot reduction you'll find one most likely for lamb but its delicious on duck.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM

1 tsp of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. 1/4 soy sauce 1/3 worchester 1/3 honey. Mix it all together and pour on duck strips. Marinate for an hour or 2 then bbq.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

Slice it thin(1/8”-1/4”) thick. Place lengthwise on a half slice of thick cut bacon. Place a piece of jalapeno pepperjack cheddar cheese on top. Roll up and skewer closed with toothpick. Place on bbq on indirect heat and cook until bacon is done to your preference. Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:45 PM

Brine!

1/4 cup kosher salt, 6 cups water, sit 24hrs, wash, and spice accordingly.

I quit duck hunting due to this issue and then had a wild game chef show me brining and I love it now!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Marinate in orange sesame dressing overnight, wrap in bacon and BBQ...delicious!!! Don't overlook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2017, 11:08 PM

As much as I enjoyed hunting ducks and all it entailed, I never liked the taste of them, no matter how I cooked them. Tired of choking them down to do my duty as an ethical sportsman, I quit hunting them altogether. Then I stumbled across this recipe! Yum Yum!

Slice a pocket into them to make each breast like a half pita-bread. stuff them with a mixture of chipped TAME jalapeño peppers (found in a jar, from the pickle section of the grocery store) and cream cheese. Wrap them closed with a thick slice of bacon secured with a toothpick. Grill on the BBQ until medium rare -the bacon should be sizzling but not crispy.
DO NOT OVERCOOK
Old 10-08-2017, 12:44 AM

I made ginger duck the other night. Same recipe as ginger beef, different meat. I asked my daughter if I should make it again, and she said "and again, and again, and again".
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Wow thanks lots of great things to try! Same issue I find duck livery but that's cause I always overlooked it.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Default 60/40

I'd take duck over goose any day.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Slice a pocket into them to make each breast like a half pita-bread. stuff them with a mixture of chipped TAME jalapeño peppers (found in a jar, from the pickle section of the grocery store) and cream cheese. Wrap them closed with a thick slice of bacon secured with a toothpick. Grill on the BBQ until medium rare -the bacon should be sizzling but not crispy.
DO NOT OVERCOOK
^^^ This especially for teal breast. Makes a nice little popper --- just do not overcook. Med rare

Another favorite for both duck and goose is breasts only. Clean off all fat. Marinate in a savory brine for 24 to 48 hours. BBQ to medium rare and slice off thin --- take care for the right direction on slicing --- this goes very quickly when we host wild game dinners.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM

I never wrote this recipe down, but I'll give you what I remember of it.
De-bone the duck breasts.
Place a layer in a cassorole dish. or small roaster.
Sprinkle some liptons dry onion soup mixover the breast meat.
a layer of chopped celery, and chopped onions, pour some canned cream of celery soup from the can over this.
Then place you next layer of duck breast meat down and repeat the above steps again. Keep doing this until you run out of duck breasts. Cover with cream of celery soup. cover and bake in oven until done.
There is no wild taste to the duck meat and it tastes awesome.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Default Duck breasts

I guess no one does the whole bird anymore. I am talking a long time ago my Dad and I would flush the duck or goose in very hot water then pluck the feathers and pick out all the pin feathers and of course the guts then stuff them and roast. It was a lot of work but these were grain fattened birds and were delicious. I cannot recall ever frying anything but like I said it was 65 yrs. ago on the flatlands of Sask. Many good memories. Piker
Old 10-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Seared Duck Strips over Bacon and Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits
Old 10-08-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
^^^ This especially for teal breast. Makes a nice little popper --- just do not overcook. Med rare

Another favorite for both duck and goose is breasts only. Clean off all fat. Marinate in a savory brine for 24 to 48 hours. BBQ to medium rare and slice off thin --- take care for the right direction on slicing --- this goes very quickly when we host wild game dinners.
Thanks! When BBQ do you cook it on indirect heat like with chicken? I'm also a crappy cook haha. My husband brings home ducks occasionally and I never know what to do with them.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I guess no one does the whole bird anymore. I am talking a long time ago my Dad and I would flush the duck or goose in very hot water then pluck the feathers and pick out all the pin feathers and of course the guts then stuff them and roast. It was a lot of work but these were grain fattened birds and were delicious. I cannot recall ever frying anything but like I said it was 65 yrs. ago on the flatlands of Sask. Many good memories. Piker
Sounds like a lot of work but I would like to try a whole duck. Do most people just breast them? I asked my husband to bring home a whole duck next time. We usually just breast them cause it's easy.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Done whole ducks in a roaster in either sweet wine and cherry sauce or orange sauce. I didn't care for either but we overcooked them. Overcooking really brings out the less wanted strong livery taste.
Did skinless breasts this way, my suffering were they ever good. A mix of mallard, teal, shoveler;
Start diced onion and apple frying in bacon grease and mapple syrup. Brown your breasts in a separate dry pan, once brown add to onion apple mix and douse regularly until medium rare.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Thanks! When BBQ do you cook it on indirect heat like with chicken? I'm also a crappy cook haha. My husband brings home ducks occasionally and I never know what to do with them.
I bbq direct heat just like a steak. Quick is best to hold in the juices. I also use a savory brine on whole birds. We do a large goose and turkey for Christmas. The goose gets eaten first and has become a family request for gatherings.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Ok.... I'm following this thread real close!

Someone gimme a savory brine recipe.

Please please?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Savory Brine

The basic I go with is -- 2 quarts water, 1/2 cup Kosher or coarse salt, 1 cup dark brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary, 1 tablespoon sage, 1 tablespoon thyme, 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic seasoning (not salt), 1 teaspoon onion seasoning (not salt), 1 teaspoon pepper. Boil and let cool down then brine the bird for minimum 24 hours in a cool location. You want the brine fully covering the meat.

Change up the amounts based on your favorite flavour -- add celery seeds etc Add soy or hot pepper if you like.

I personally cut back on the salt as the base recipes are higher volumes than what I have shown
Old 10-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Sous Vide.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Make duck soup!!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:41 PM

OMG !!! I soo needed this post .... as we are dialled in in the fields and bringing home the bacon!!!!! Gettin' tired of goose jerky!!! brining it is!!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Duck breast

Shot a few mallards yesterday ...soaked in kosher salt and water for 24 hrs then put in milk and spices until this eve ..butterflyed the breasts open seasoned with salt and pepper .put in jalapeño slices and cream cheese and wrapped in bacon then bbqd just so the bacon was cooked ...it was very very tasty
Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM

Take full breasts and pour melted butter over them. Add your seasoning of choice. Put a flat iron or skillet on you barbecue and get it as hot as you can. Around 600 is good. Cook for exactly three minutes a side. It will be like prime rib

Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Mouth watering suggestions here. I don't have any duck to cook though!
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

We pluck as many ducks and keep them whole as possible. If they are a bit shot up then they get breasted out and leg meat which I like the best.

For cooking the whole ducks i do it over lump charcoal and glaze it with hoisin sauce. Inside the cavity onion and garlic.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:44 AM

I'll share something I learned this weekend. Brined a whole mallard for 24 hours, then into the smoker with apple wood for 1.5 hours at 200F ( internal temp was 138F when removed) then into the deep fryer for 8 minutes at 300 to get a crispy skin and finish the cooking. The bird was still slightly over done but I think if I cut the smoker temp or lowered the smoker time I would have been perfect. My turkey on the other hand came out perfect.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-10-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtanelion View Post
I made ginger duck the other night. Same recipe as ginger beef, different meat. I asked my daughter if I should make it again, and she said "and again, and again, and again".
I have always wanted to try a ginger duck/goose recipe. Do you have a recipe to share for this?