Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Default 2 trail cam questions

Hi;

I've been bowhunting for a long time. This said I've used trail cameras for a long time. Unfortunately I've truly drawn the conclusion they all suck. I have a very similar opinion with ATV batteries! Lol

Unpredictable life cycles and all inadvertently either don't perform well in Alberta/Nov, break, don't take pictures, take too many pictures or start gradually fail over time. I've had bears wreck them, had them destroyed, stolen, and have even forgot where I've put them. On top of all this, NONE of them in my experience have performed as advertised.
Common brands I've used: spypoint, stealthcam, bushnell, wild game, moultrie, primos, and a handful of others which I can't recall. (all sorts of different models...). In all honesty they are about the same no matter how you slice and dice it in the 125-175 range...

Having read lots on here, I have a couple strange questions now that I've become a bit more focused on spring bear in recent years, which seemingly doubles "camera consumption".

1. Cleaning cooking oil off cameras? How do you guys do it? I was thinking spray 9...but really worried about scent for deer hunting. (Same reason I want to clean the oil off them)

2. Amazon. I see real (potential) savings. Has anyone tried any of the one off brands? Namely either "Blaze Video" or "ABask" brands? Performance specs are in line with mainstream cameras, just curious if anyone has used them in cold weather? (The abask brand seems to showcase some winter pictures...which you generally don't see.)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:27 AM

Cold weather is more a function of your batteries fist of all(alkelines are only good to about -18C)(lithiums are good to around -50C)
Secondly the quality of the electronics installed in the camera, if you want mil spec electronics(wider temperature range) you'll pay big dollars to receive them. Sub $200 cameras and alkaline batteries will get you into the minus teens that's about it. If you want more, spend more.......

There are no absolutes
Old 10-28-2017, 08:38 AM

I dunno my browning cams with regular energizers performed well from Xmas through April without being checked this year
Old 10-28-2017, 11:03 AM

I’ve had bad luck with stealth cams. If you put in a new card it starts the pic count at Zero which I find very annoying. They also miss pictures ALL the time. I returned the 4 I bought.

The new Moultaires I just got (model 30i I think) from Canadian tire for $125 with batteries and a memory card have been much better. The night time pics are also far superior to the stealth cams.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:24 PM

You said it...... They all suck!!
I've had every brand known to God and yep... They all suck (sooner or later)
Old 10-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Dick pretty much said it. You want year round reliability, reconyx and lithium batteries. But I would not put that much $ around a bear, or anywhere on public land.

Might want to get one or two real good deer cameras and keep the others for bears.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post
1. Cleaning cooking oil off cameras? How do you guys do it? I was thinking spray 9...but really worried about scent for deer hunting. (Same reason I want to clean the oil off them)

2. Amazon. I see real (potential) savings. Has anyone tried any of the one off brands? Namely either "Blaze Video" or "ABask" brands? Performance specs are in line with mainstream cameras, just curious if anyone has used them in cold weather? (The abask brand seems to showcase some winter pictures...which you generally don't see.)
(1) I would try soap and water. Any type of solvent may do more harm then good. Many might even render the camera useless permanently.

(2) I have not tried any off brand cameras but I know that many so call off brands are in fact identical to brand names in every way.

I don't know if you were aware of this but all trail cameras are built in China and only by a handful of companies.

I checked into getting cameras with my company name on them, to sell alongside my camera mounts.
I was offered a deal on the same camera as Uway sells as their U150X

I can get them with my company name on the case and in the software and I get to choose the startup screen photo. All for just over $50.00 FOB China.

There is a catch though. To qualify for that deal I have to order a Sea Can full and I don't have 3/4 of a million dollars lying around.

My point is, no matter the brand, there is a good chance the same camera is sold by one of the big name North American suppliers.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 AM

KegRiver - excellent info. Thanks!!! I think I might do a Prime order and give a couple of 'em a try!

Worst that can happen is they suck worse than the mainstream brands suck, as below - in recent years playing with the bears - they almost seem to become a consumable!

Living in FM, I hunt 200km south on private land, but now have to rely heavily on these damn things to get my my intel. 9/10 times, scouting is not in the equation.

Re: cooking oil I actually used soap and water, followed by windex for the lense covers and sensors. I'm a bit worried about the scent agents in the soap...maybe I'll spray them daily with scent remover till I hang them later in the week.

CB
Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
You said it...... They all suck!!
I've had every brand known to God and yep... They all suck (sooner or later)
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have Bushnel, Wild game, and Moultrie cams and they all have been working great for about 5 years. My biggest problem is figuring out how to set time, date, pic timing, etc. They are all different. lol
As for batteries i only use Energizer or those discount ones at Home depot.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

There is a catch though. To qualify for that deal I have to order a Sea Can full and I don't have 3/4 of a million dollars lying around.
I'll take 4 out of that seacan if it helps out?