Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Skunked in WMU 328

Went out today hunting whitetail deer in Wmu 328 and didn’t see a single deer from 30 minutes before sunrise up until 2pm. This would be the third time this season I was in this area. Last 2 times I seen deer but couldn’t make an ethical kill so I had to pass up and even then it took the whole day just to see that one deer. This is my first season hunting this specific WMU and I’m starting to feel like I should try other areas for the remaining month. So basically my question is, are any of you hunters that are experienced in this area having a hard time finding deer or is it just me? Are there better wmus within a 3 hour drive with a decent amount of public land or even private with landowners that are willing to give permission(kind of late to ask now, but one can always try), that anyone would recommend and I should focus my efforts on? Not looking for anyone’s spots, I’m willing to put in work so a push in the right direction will start that.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:27 PM

I've seen a decline in the deer in 328. From predators to new hunters it's a tough area. Many will say that the area holds deer but it's a tough go. You'll need to get in the bush and hope you come across them.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:40 PM

I wouldn’t get to worked up about not killing a deer in 3 days hunting. I hunt almost everyday all season and may or may not fill my tag. The next month is go time for whitetails and your chance of a opportunity will go up exponentially. Keep at it and hunt into the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I wouldn’t get to worked up about not killing a deer in 3 days hunting. I hunt almost everyday all season and may or may not fill my tag. The next month is go time for whitetails and your chance of a opportunity will go up exponentially. Keep at it and hunt into the wind.

Yes, 3 days definitely isn’t a lot but I’m just doubting this wmu and considering on finding another one to focus my efforts on for November. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy123 View Post
Yes, 3 days definitely isn’t a lot but I’m just doubting this wmu and considering on finding another one to focus my efforts on for November. Thanks for the help.

I’ve hunted 328 but it was 20 yrs ago so things may have changed
If your seeing sign, then there will be deer. Focus on being settled in before shooting light and again 2-3 hrs before dark and sit tight. Right now is prime time for some calling. Make sure the wind is good then let out a doe bleat or 3 and follow up with a few grunts.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

328 is a great area to hunt but it is full of road hunters that get pressured hard don't have to walk far in a good spot and you'll find them lots of great deer in that area
Old 10-29-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
328 is a great area to hunt but it is full of road hunters that get pressured hard don't have to walk far in a good spot and you'll find them lots of great deer in that area
Surprisingly I didn’t see much people today. Only 3 hunters throughout my trip, but 328 is a huge area.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Go on a weekend and it's nuts I hunted 328 when I lived there due to fact is was less busy due to not being able to use supplemental tags there.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:29 PM

I’m thinking of focusing my efforts elsewhere for the month of November. It’s to late now to be knocking on doors(correct me if I’m wrong) and asking premision but I believe I can gain premission onto grazing leases down by stavely near highway 527. Would anyone recommend this area over wmu 328? Any tips on how the deer act out there or any general tips to help with my success in that area, from any hunters who are experienced in that area.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:26 PM

When I think back to the overall big game populations during the 80's and 90's and compare it to what 328 is like today I'm still convinced I did the right thing by giving up on that area of the province about 15 years. Yes there is still some game in there including deer but no where near the numbers that it once was. In recent years camping/quading (scouting) throughout the summer has not changed my mind.

Last edited by greywolf; 10-29-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Just spent 5 days out there in 328 and in the Blackstone checking out my old haunts. Had a great camping trip, but saw zero game other than a few grouse. Fresh snow for 4 days and only cut Griz and wolf tracks. Even walking we didn't cut tracks. Spend your November in the farm land, 328 is a bit of a waste now.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Just spent 5 days out there in 328 and in the Blackstone checking out my old haunts. Had a great camping trip, but saw zero game other than a few grouse. Fresh snow for 4 days and only cut Griz and wolf tracks. Even walking we didn't cut tracks. Spend your November in the farm land, 328 is a bit of a waste now.
Ok thanks for the advice. I think trying my luck in another zone is the way to go. Do you or anyone else have experience in WMU 417/318? I headed out there near the end of September and seen several does. Now that does are legal to hunt nov 1, I’m considering heading out there. How is it like after the season opens? Do all the does disappear due to the increased pressure in the area? What would be everyone’s recommendations, stick to around Stavely/ Nanton. Or give 318/417 a shot this upcoming Sunday?
Old 10-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

North of highway 11 I did not have much luck seeing animals in 328 but south was great animals were plenty that being said I never seen a buck larger then 160-165 in there but plenty 140-150s just have to get off road
Old 10-30-2017, 04:13 AM

I spent 6 days in there earlier in the year. Saw animals of some sort every day. Grizz sow with a couple cubs. One exceptional bull moose and a second smaller one. Whitetails every day. Four mule deer. One black bear. And a pile of grouse.

Seems pretty good to me.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:47 PM

I would try 330, the deer are looking really good in there this year.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I would try 330, the deer are looking really good in there this year.
tons of wolves there this year i've shot 6 so far. i got my buck there too a decent 4x5

i can't think that zone will be able to have the high deer number it has for long with wolves crawling all over
Old 10-30-2017, 06:21 PM

Spent 2 days in September. Got skunked as well.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 PM

deer numbers down in wmu300s.i hunted wmu330 this year,only saw 2 white tail in 2 days.