Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Default Ground blind in a field?

Anyone have experience placing a ground blind smack in the middle of a cut hay field?

I was initially thinking it would spook white tail, but I've been reading others have done it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM

I to was going to do this. Then on second thought I want to still be alive. My concern was guys shooting at things without knowing if it's occupied or not.
Too many guys shooting at things which are not animas

Old 11-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
I to was going to do this. Then on second thought I want to still be alive. My concern was guys shooting at things without knowing if it's occupied or not.
Too many guys shooting at things which are not animas

There's only one way in to this hay field and it's through the land owners yard so I'm not too concerned.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 PM

If you let it sit there for a couple weeks to a month the deer will just get used to it.

If you are gonna pop it up, and hope for a good hunt all at once, I would think you'll face some long odds.

How do you expect to get into your blind without leaving a scent trail and or being seen by the game? Next ticklish part is how do you expect to get outta the blind at last light, without blowing ever deer on the place right outta the county?

Hunt the edges, or expect to hunt long, that's the two options you've got.

I like to set up overseeing funnels and travel corridors, and your blind shoulda been out by mid October.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 PM

I had my hunting blind in a hay field for several years. I would put it there a couple of weeks before deer season and it would be about 150 yards from the nearest bush line. Mine wasn't a pop-up but my 4 x 6 ice-fishing shack. Mine was on private property with the only way in there was thru the farmer's yard. The nearest public road was 3/4 of a mile away and this hay field was out of sight of the road due to being surronded by bush on 3 sides. I parked my truck about 100 yards behind me down a bit of a slope. Several times I spooked deer as I left to go home. They wouldn't run far.
I was the only hunter on that land for a good 10 years and after the season had been on for a week or so the hunting pressure on neighboring lands pushed the deer onto this 1/2 section.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:40 PM

For that situation, I’ll sell you a self propelled blind that looks exactly like a tractor. Comes with radio and heater. Cheap.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM

My experience is that if it doesn't move they don't care. Ground blinds are the ticket. I can't believe it took so long for me to find out.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 PM

If you're not wanting to get within bow range, then it would work fine for the whitetsils I hunt to just pop it up. They might skirt a 100 yards around you, but that shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2017, 06:30 AM

Also keep in mind, one heavy snow and say goodbye to your blind...
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 AM

In a field, they are typically used to seeing equipment come and go - like others have said, shouldn't be an issue. They might not come close, but who knows... Sometimes they like to check out the new object out of sheer curiosity.

I've even had deer hang out at the base of my tree stand within hours of setting it up, just because they wanted to check it out.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 PM

We have an 8x8 permanent blind, 5' off the ground and the deer could care less. The other night we had some walk in our tracks right past the block be an hour after we walked in. 5' from the door of the blind at the very most...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 AM

I've had them up close like that too. Most I saw at one time within 100 yards was 12, all does and bambi's.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Just to add... I did a set-up last weekend... Popped the blind up in the late afternoon, had a decent buck step out 15 minutes before last light. He looked at the blind a few times, but it really didn't faze him.

So I wouldn't worry about spooking them with your hay field set-up...
Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM

I set up my Bale blind rt smack in the middle of fields every year the deer walk right up and feed off it while I'm inside all the time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bale blind 15.jpg (42.7 KB, 125 views)
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 11-20-2017, 12:40 PM

My experience with a blind is that if you put it into the open, they'll definitely give it a few looks but as long as it's not moving and you are not making noise it should be fine. I've had deer come in within 30 mins of setting my blind up. I live too far away from where I typically hunt so I can't set it up for the season.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM

I’ve never had an issue with setting it up on the middle of a field. Throw a little snow on top to help it blend in and away you go. I’ve had deer come by it within 20-30 mins and have had bucks come by within 50 yards. Shot a few this way.

Good luck