Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Well I just got a fantastic Email from my booking agent at OBMG. (we will be at Hakai pass July 17)

Take a read

Hi Jamie,

So, I was called down to the owners office yesterday. Big Bob was given a copy of the lovely email you sent. He was happy you were happy and asked if I needed anything in regards to your reservation. I said, “Yes, I need you to sign off on your room for them.” He did it and guess what?!!! You are now guaranteed to get his room. I’ll tell you, that almost NEVER happens so congrats!

And thanks again for your kind words.

Warmest regards,

Rayne Miller

Senior Reservation Agent

Oak Bay Marine Group

So instead of staying in a room that has 2 single beds only seperated by a small wash sink... I manged to get my wife the SUPER SUITE!! It has 2 captain beds, sitting table and a wet bar, along with plenty of room to dry your clothes. I was fortunate enough to spend one trip in that room. (Pure luck as our room apparently was having issues and they dont give out this room)

Big Bob also has asked that Heidi be well taken care off and to make sure she has absoulutly every thing she needs.

Now thats some nice service!!! Heck, nice doesnt even cut it. This is WAY WAY over the top.

Jamie
Congrat's you won't be roughin it, now let's see if they can hook you up with a TYEE.....
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Just had Aug 1-4 open up due to cancellation...this is primeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee time...where we caught all our hogs over 50lbs last year with exception of the one in June...best fishing you'll find on the coast during that time right where we are.

headed out tomorrow and sunday, will report back on how she is going Can't wait...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM

I also am headin out for some hardcore salmon action. Cant wait! July 24-31 morice, bulkely, kitimat, kitsumkalum, lakeisle rivers! Should be absolutely prime time!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM

Crappy weather today...rollers were at least 5m high, knocked more kelp off the rocks than I knew existed in the whole bloody ocean Made fishing nearly impossible in most of the usual haunts...still got a 20lbser and lost a few as well ...actually, the father did...lucky its fathers day or else I would of ragged on him Still nailed some nice bottomfish on some pinnacles on the way in we had never tried in protected waters...BIG Ling, plus limited out on rockfish and with some snapper in the mix (snapper count towards rockfish limits). Marking lots of fish, but when you are rocking back and forth like a toothpick in a bathtub, plus every 100yards have to get kelp off the lines, makes it hard to persuade those fish to bite lol Overall a decent and fun day on the water with the pops and family friend..heading out tomorrow and the weather forecast is only for 1-2m waves...so much better!
Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Yum Yum I think ling cod is the best anyway's - are they going to open sockeye up that way ?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Most likely...on wednesday a friend of mine caught 6 sockeye!! had to let them all go...looks like there should be an opening come mid july. And a fan of lings eh? We'll put you on crap loads of lings larry...you'll go home with 6 of the bad boys!!!

Coho will be unreal this year...up in the Charlottes those fish are about 3 weeks away from us, for the past week they have been nailing the **** out of coho and chinook, will be here shortly It's going to be stupid good here shortly...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 PM

I am so looking forward to getting on to the Island - One of these years I'm staying for good, sounds like it's going to be another banner year up there for you guy's can't wait man.....
Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM

I can't wait to see you in that Canucks jersey ...Oh, I haven't forgotten
Old 06-20-2009, 11:53 PM

DAMN !!!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 AM

Default Gettin Close

Its damn near time to come catch some big ol fish again Dave, and by the way great thread Jamie.

I got to beat that 43 pounder I got last year. I have been so busy at work down here in Houston I haven't really had time to think about fishing but this thread has the itch back.

By the way what are those dates again Dave? July 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th right?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Dave.........When trolling for Salmon, what size/lb test leaders are you using off the back of your flashers and are you using flourocarbon ? Do you find it makes much difference ? Do you have any particular preference for size/style hooks ? ie up turned eye, snelled, Gamagatsu etc. I know down south, circle hooks are very popular, are they recommended for use when bottom fishing with bait ? Thx.

Craig
Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Salmon fishing... how I miss it!! Im from the Yukon, and have been here in Calgary for about 5 years on and off now. Used to go into Hains Alaska and fish in the Chillcoot and Chillkat rivers. What adventures....and FISH! Biggest fish I pulled out of the chillcoot was about 20+lbs. What a fight that was! One year I'll get back up there to do it again! At least I keep telling myself that
Old 06-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermuley View Post
Its damn near time to come catch some big ol fish again Dave, and by the way great thread Jamie.

I got to beat that 43 pounder I got last year. I have been so busy at work down here in Houston I haven't really had time to think about fishing but this thread has the itch back.

By the way what are those dates again Dave? July 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th right?
11th, 12th 13th and 14th Brian. Oh, believe me, I'll be doing my best to make sure you do beat that 43lbers of last year...didn't you nail 2 over 40? And I just remember being scared ****less when Pat wanted to net it and when he went after it...this year I'm very confident we will catch one over 60lbs at some point over the season.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM

elnino, we use 40lbs Seaguar Blue Label...although I just received an email 10minutes ago with some information that makes me believe the "Premier" Seaguar flurocarbon is better...and yes, only flurocarbon, it is invisible in the water and despite what many think salmon aren't quite as dumb as people are led to believe. It's little things like that that make the difference between a limit of fish in the boat and only 2 hitting in the cooler. We use Eagle Claw Laser Sharp size 1, sometimes followed by either a single trailer or a small treble trailer hook. The trailer hook makes a difference when they are just mouthing the bait, which happens a bit up here since there is so much needlefish around.

We use J hooks when bottomfishing. Once in a blue moon when we are targeting BIG halibut only, we will throw out a circle hook, but not usually.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:37 PM

Fishing today was AWESOME WHEN we could actually fish the spot properly...the wind came up reallyyy early this morning around 9:30-10am and messed up what looked to be a day that a limit of nice Chinook would be easily caught. Of our first 6 p*****, 4 Chinook bites, one in the boat, and one lost. Nice 23lbser. As the day went on the wind picked up and it got reallll snotty real fast. Put some other nice fish in the boat but weren't able to limit out which I'm 100% confident would of occured otherwise as the awesome fishing in the morning was during low tide...high tide (best fishing) wasn't until 1:15pm.

Willpost pictures later tonight...have some bison to go eat at the moment
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM

Back from a week up in Masset and is it ever looking like it's going to be a good return this year !! We did great on chinooks ( once I started using anchovies instead of herring) and even got a couple of coho. One's in the oven as I type this . Halibut were plentiful but nothing over 20#. The crabs are starting in on the beach also and we had a good morning on a 1 metre tide
( not as low as we would like ) and we ended up having an all you can eat crab meal .
We'll be back up there in a 2 weeks and hopefully it remains as good !

Scott H
Old 06-22-2009, 07:51 AM

Default Yup

Ya I did get two over 40 and darien got one to if I remember right. Ya I was a bit concerned about the netting job myself but we got him in, and it was fun as heck. And really for us thats all its about.

Man I can't wait to get going.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM

Can't wait to see ya up here again Brian...I'm stoked!!!

Here are some pics from yesterday...some nice salmon and nice ling...

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

Sounds like we are heading for a great year out there guys,, if you have the chance and can find the time this would be the year to head out west..

dss44 looks like you guys are slayin them,, good work and keep the pics comin boy..

I was checking the tide charts today and if I get to head west this summer,, ah who am I kidding "when" I head west this August to Sooke. According to the charts I am going to try and get my room booked for some time between the 10th - 21st with the 13th to the 21st being the prime floods. Should bring some big runs into JDF. Maybe this will be my year to break 40# !!!

Keep the post's coming boys its looking great..
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Your hitting prime time for the Kitimat river chinook. 82 lbs from the Kalum, I thought that was the river record? Could have changed as it has some big fish! I fish the Kalum for steehead every christmas. If its too cold I go boarding at Shames. What a place to live!!! Have fun, we are heading out there the first week of Aug and taking jet boats down the Douglas.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Nice fish boys...

I'm going with captain jim's out of Kitimat. 5 days living on the boat. Never been on the salt water, should be a good time.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:03 PM

Damn, you guys are getting me revved up for my salmon trip. We leave in 3 days for the Kitimat. Hopefully I can post some success pics when I get back.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:02 PM

WOW...THE FISH ARE HERE!!!!! LIMITED OUT TODAY BY 9:30AM ON CHINOOK...and honestly, we could of been limited out by 8am as the flatlanders (from Calgary) lost tens and tens of fish before we limited, and we also lost about a 25-30lbser to a seal. First pass, double header!!! One of many of the day...we were only using 2 rods as that is all we could keep up with, otherwise I'm sure we could of had triple headers too. Most fish were around the 20lbs mark (which is around what the size they should be considering its June...come July Aug that avg will move up to about 28lbs.

Ended the day with limit of Chinook, smallest being 13lbs (first one in the boat, if we knew the fishing was going to be this good would of let it go), others all 20-24lbs....

20 and 23lbs

Then...our last fish of the day....HOG!!!! LET'S HAVE SOME GUESSES OF THE SIZE OF THIS BAD BOY!!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM

My guess would be 43 lbs for the fish in the middle/last photo...

Last edited by elnino54; 06-24-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Nice, I'll say 39-40 lbs...4 more weeks to go....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Banned

I would guess under 45#'s

I will let my Bro take a look, he is uncanny at guessing weight. He beats the pants off the guides EACH AND EVERY TIME.

Ok, I recived the MR2 I ordered today and dispite the gripping jelousy I had... I turned it over to my Dad in thanks for all the great help he has been this week. I was going to get one for myself, but my wife mentioned something about a new Washer/Dryer. So I thought it better to just order one.. SIGH.. Perhaps next year. But Dad has generously offered to let me use it when I take my wife in the middle of July. My god what a wonderfull looking reel. Its gold for those that care.

Lots of new hooks/Flashers/downriggers(Deep six)/fake bait came with my order, I will see if I can post up some pics.

Only a few more sleepless nights till we go. In surfing another site the reports are sounding great, the weather looks fantastic with a high preasure system looking to roll right in.

Its getting close folks!!

Jamie
Old 06-24-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Great thread.

Love the pictures and the posts. I am heading out to work Channel in Terrace, Rupert area. Anyone use the road yet this year?
How is camping, parking in the launch area.
Is my Astro van ok for this road or 4x4 only?
I have a smaller boat 18ft so i like the idea of protected waters.

Will be out the last week in june first week in july.

Fishing tips, trolling speed, down rigger depths, flasher and herrring? Hoochies?
Incoming tide, out going, slack, high, low?
Jigging, spoons, stingers, buzzbombs etc....
halibut techniques?

My boat is good for about 140km round trip. Fuel available in the channel? Bait shops in the channel?

GPS Co-ords would be great. PS Can you tell I am a noob. I actually grew up in Rupert but have not been back in 20 yrs.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Banned

Booked the cabin at Sooke yesterday. Got pretty close to the dates I wanted we are in from Aug 10th - 15th.. So that will put me there just at the start of the heavy floods,, should be some good fishing..

Now we count the days,, 45 and counting...

TBark;

What are your dates for this year are we going to be able to hook up ??
Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 AM

Not a bad first day for the lodge, Our guide was walking with a bit of a swagger that night... 30 and 34 pounds.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 AM

Just got back last night, 1 12 lb Coho, 1 25 lb white chinook that I saw hit the herring when I was checking for weeds, we kept 4 ling and our limit of hali's. Fishing with family is good, catching with a guide is better. my uncle is not the best chinook fisherman as far as location goes. The cooler was still heavy to unload. Now to clean out the truck.