Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Anybody going south for Dorado, tuna etc?

The caribbean is calling me, can't sleep at night,loss of appetite,short fuse,woke up found myself trawling in the bathtub ( dammed near caught my self too) I need help! other than going how can i change the "feeling"
Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Oh boy, why did you have to bring that up! Unfortunatley we won't be hitting Cabo this year, but apparantly the action has been really hot so far. If you have not fished Cabo, I strongly recomend it, close, cheap, clean, friendly, and most of all, the best Marlin and Tuna fishing in North america. I got my Tuna fix in the fall fishing off Northern Vancouver Island, which was real good! But now its raining, I've got cabin fever, and dammit I want to see the sun and hammer some billfish. Good luck!
cheers,
MK

This day my wife and I caught 5 stripers, and despite my request to C & R, they killed this one!!

This day we caught 20 Albacore Tuna off Northern Vancouver Island!! These things run and fight harder than any Chinook!!

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-26-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM

we were down there a couple weeks ago, best fish i managed was a 20lb cuda; if you go, hope you have better luck. we are heading to hawaii in april, hope it goes better there...
cheers
Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM

Cabo is good, but I will take north of Puerto Vallarta for Tuna. Lots of them and depending on when you go, some 250-300 lb Big Eyes out there, along with the other Tuna.. Some great Billfish out there as well as better Mahi Mahi fishing.
My opinion of course...
Off Coiba Island in Panama beats them both...More world records from that area than anywhere else in the world for billfish.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM

I'm sitting by the pool right now in puerto vallarta. Went out the other day and killed the yellowfin tuna. Landed 7 between 120 and 220 pounds. Lost at least another 10 or 15. Those things are like pulling on a volkswagen. Will post pics when I get back
Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 PM

We will be heading to central Philippines in May just before rainy season. Hoping to get about 3-4 days of Black Marlin and Tuna fishing in. People have caugh great whites in the same spot too!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:46 PM

Going to Vallarta next week!!!! Caught an 8' 2" sailfish last time. My friend has a place to stay and a boat as well. I hope we get into the Dorados this trip. Never caught one. I will have to post a few pics if we do any good.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Default Dorado's

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Going to Vallarta next week!!!! Caught an 8' 2" sailfish last time. My friend has a place to stay and a boat as well. I hope we get into the Dorados this trip. Never caught one. I will have to post a few pics if we do any good.
Got my first Mahi-Mahi last year while vacationing in Nuevo Vallarta( jan/09 ). wasn't all that big weighed in at 19 lbs, just a young bull, got him off the marriata islands. lost a large one, those dudes never heard of steel leaders down there gonna bring a few down with me this year.. anyway lots of wahoo, and a couple of red snappers 6 or so lbs.all were fillited out and chef's at the resort did a seafood platter ( added shrimp lobster etc.) to what we bought in ....man was it good.......MB

Last edited by mooseburger; 01-14-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: location
Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Billfish in the sun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie55 View Post
Cabo is good, but I will take north of Puerto Vallarta for Tuna. Lots of them and depending on when you go, some 250-300 lb Big Eyes out there, along with the other Tuna.. Some great Billfish out there as well as better Mahi Mahi fishing.
My opinion of course...
Off Coiba Island in Panama beats them both...More world records from that area than anywhere else in the world for billfish.
Hey Dougie55 and Baredfromedson,
Do either of you have a guide that you use in Vallarta? I can't seem to get ahold of my guide in Cabo! In my mind the right guide makes all the difference weather it's fishing or hunting. Cheap flights to both places, and all this talk is making me randy for offshore cervesas and fish taco's!!!
Mk

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Tides,
I have used a few different guides there. Some are better at the Bay area, some the Mariatas, and some for way out. Let me know how long you plan on going out. Depending on where you are staying, the north end of the Bay is about an hour or a bit more out, the Mariatas an hour or more further, and the banks are about an hour more after that. Need at least an 8-10 hr day in my mind for the last two. The biggest fish are on the banks, then the Mariatas and finally the bay. All depends on what you want to catch, and the time and money you want to spend. I can email you with some names I have used or that are known to be good from there.
Doug