Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
If your garage isn't heated, put them on a trickle charger. I got mine from Amazon.ca for $29. two yrs ago. It can hooked up all winter and won't over charge the batteries.

Thanks Jack. saw some of your tips in a previous post linked above. appreciate it.

Appreciate all.

Anyone got a 300W Honda Inverter Generator they'd like to sell me for $300??
Old 12-31-2017, 02:48 PM
Banned

If you're going to use a couple of 6 volts, just make sure to hook them up in series, not parallel. Other advise to get them out of the cold and on a trickler charger is also good advise.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Thanks Jack. saw some of your tips in a previous post linked above. appreciate it.

Appreciate all.

Anyone got a 300W Honda Inverter Generator they'd like to sell me for $300??
You must mean a 3000 watt, if you find one that cheap I'll take 2. I have a 2800w Yamaha inverter I think new it was was around $1500, that was a while ago.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 PM

I'm looking at doing something similar this summer but after all the posts I've read using 2-6V versus 12V, I'm going 2 12V deep cycles just for the price. I've been running 1 deep cycle battery in my RV for years and even use them in my diesel truck. Just wondering if someone can give me what the best solar panel is for charging during the day. Having the proper solar panel is half the battle.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
You must mean a 3000 watt, if you find one that cheap I'll take 2. I have a 2800w Yamaha inverter I think new it was was around $1500, that was a while ago.

So a guy could get THAT one for $ 300???
Old 12-31-2017, 08:51 PM

I have been using a pair of 6 Volt for years now and love them, look at the RCA. Reserve capacity amps and the pair of 6's better the 12 by far.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

I bought a 8D 12volt battery and it’s been on my trailer for 10yrs. With no issues.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 PM

More are better but stock rv inverters are garbage
Look into a pd9270 intel-power there about 300 but won’t destroy you battery’s as they are smart chargers
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 PM

I run two Crown 235ah 6v batteries in series. I never draw down below 50%. I have 400w of solar, 45amp Morningstar charge controller and a 2000w inverter. I get away with the stock PD4045 converter/charger, but that's because I use the Morningstar to properly charge my batteries.

My 3000w Honda gets rarely used now, unless is 5+ cloudy days or I want to 4run AC.

PM me if you have any questions on setup
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 AM

Thumbs up Duracell

Most times I just run 2 Duracell triple A's.

For my Big Rig, they seem to work just fine
Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 AM

i have 4- costco 6 volt batteries going on 9 years now with the same
batteries and have 260 watts of solar panels on the roof
Just a heads up in the fall costco tends to blow out there 6 volt batteries i pick up a couple for a friend 2 years ago for $ 50.00 bucks each
Old 01-05-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefish View Post
I run two Crown 235ah 6v batteries in series. I never draw down below 50%. I have 400w of solar, 45amp Morningstar charge controller and a 2000w inverter. I get away with the stock PD4045 converter/charger, but that's because I use the Morningstar to properly charge my batteries.

My 3000w Honda gets rarely used now, unless is 5+ cloudy days or I want to 4run AC.
Nice! My setup is nearly identifical (2 6volts, 480 watts of panels, 45amp mppt Morningstar, and a 2500 watt inverter). With the exception of Air Conditioning, we can run damn near every other appliance (microwave, blender, saws). More than we need, that's for sure.

I don't have a generator and I'll never need one for RVing. I'd rather have the peace and quiet.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM

I would venture to guess that not 1 single person who uses 2 6 volts would go back to a 12 volt...not one.

The only negative to the 6 volts is the cost, other than that. There is absolutely no comparison. Running 2 6 volts is far superior than running a single 12.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:34 PM

Agreed.

A better comparison is running 2 12 volts versus 2 6 volts...and even there, the 6's almost always provide more amphours.

There are probably 12's being sold somewhere that offer similar amphours to 6's, but then usually the cost becomes a factor...or physical size...or availability...or...
Old 01-05-2018, 05:19 PM

Finally after 14 yrs my 8 T105 Trojan have died, been on solar since new, would only buy 6 volt as you get the most out of them if you look after them, was running 640 watts of panels until I took 200 off for my 5th wheel. 2000 watt zantrac inverter for the tv and music plus the micro wave that was used every day when we boon docked, only plugged in for 2 weeks in all those yrs.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
I would venture to guess that not 1 single person who uses 2 6 volts would go back to a 12 volt...not one.

The only negative to the 6 volts is the cost, other than that. There is absolutely no comparison. Running 2 6 volts is far superior than running a single 12.

I ran 2 6v Trojans and would never go back. However if 1 of your 2 12v go you are still in business. If 1 of your 2 6v go your dead in the water.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post

You found one haha... I used 6V for a number of years, then I went back to 12V. Here is my reasoning:

There is no question that two 6V batteries vastly exceed one 12V battery of similar size in amphours capacity (which is not surprising and not a fair comparison by any means in the first place). When comparing two 6V to two 12V of similar size and cost they are extremely close from a capacity perspective.

Comparing two Trojan 6V T105's to two $80 Costco 12V deep cycle batteries is not a fair comparison either. One set up is about $400 and significantly larger, and the other is less than $200. There is no question that the larger and more costly setup will outperform the other as long as the battery health is good.

The problem I had with my Trojan T105 6V setup was when one of the two batteries developed a bad cell. They were only about 4 years old and I babied them carefully for their entire but short life. You can't simply replace one 6V battery in a paired system without a major compromise which is that the system will only perform per the weakest (oldest) remaining battery. This is because 6V systems are wired in series. Being budget conscious there was no way I was going to replace them both with another expensive 6V T105 pair.

Instead I buy two 12V deep cycle batteries and simply use them one at a time (I do not run my 12V in parallel). If (or when) one battery dies due to a bad cell I simply replace one battery. My Costco deep cycle 12V batteries have proven to last (knock on wood) and when the time comes it's not a big deal to replace from a cost perspective. Plus Costco's are everywhere across Canada and the US.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Instead I buy two 12V deep cycle batteries and simply use them one at a time (I do not run my 12V in parallel). If (or when) one battery dies due to a bad cell I simply replace one battery. My Costco deep cycle 12V batteries have proven to last (knock on wood) and when the time comes it's not a big deal to replace from a cost perspective. Plus Costco's are everywhere across Canada and the US.
To get the same AH as two Costco 6V golf cart batteries in series (around 230 AH), you would need to run an 921 Flooded or 8D size AGM 12v like RZR. Those are at least double the cost of two 6v golf cart batteries.

The Costco 12v batteries are not really true deep cycle - more of a beefed up RV/marine battery (not sure these have a 20 ah rate).

The one bad thing of hooking up two 6v batteries in series is the higher resistance (internal) over two 12v batteries in parallel.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Default battery knowledge

probable more than the average person wants to or needs to know
the 12 volt side of life part 1 and 2

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...46J5zIb6lazAXT

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...Bkh5GbU3Nip2_l
Old 01-06-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javlin101 View Post
I ran 2 6v Trojans and would never go back. However if 1 of your 2 12v go you are still in business. If 1 of your 2 6v go your dead in the water.
You said Trojans.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
You said Trojans.
Yes I switched to 2 t105s in my motorhome. Just stating that with a pair of 6v if one craps out you will not have power. If you have 2 12v witch is what I had in my trailer if one goes you can get by on just one. This happened to me one year on holidays.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:24 PM

When camping, two 6 volts will last way longer than a single 12, that is a fact....4 or 5 times longer. For that privilege it will cost more money.

Sure if one of the 6 volts craps out you have nothing...just like if your single 12 volt craps out you have nothing.

Running two 12 volts is no different than having one 12 volt and tossing another 12 volt in back of the truck as a spare. The funny this is that when the first 12 volt dies and then you start using your 2nd 12.....it still doesn't last long as the guy using 2 sixes.

I would rather have four 6 volt batteries than 2 12 volts...the obvious problem is space. So those of you that require multiple 12 volt batteries in your big units,then you have to run multiple 12 volts.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMoose View Post
Agreed.

A better comparison is running 2 12 volts versus 2 6 volts...and even there, the 6's almost always provide more amphours.

There are probably 12's being sold somewhere that offer similar amphours to 6's, but then usually the cost becomes a factor...or physical size...or availability...or...
x2

6V have much thicker plates and it will outlast 12V system every time. I got my trailer getting close to 10 years ago with 2x6V batteries installed by original owner. They are still powering my trailer but will be looking for new set comes spring time. No 12V battery system will last that long. However, they are heavy bustards to carry around
Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 PM

Biggest thing is the quality of the battery

Not the voltage
Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Default Dual 12v with solar panel

I used to run a big single group 31 battery on my travel trailer that eventually died after about 4 or 5 years of abuse. Was seriously looking at doing the 2x6v but found that the area for the batteries on the tongue wouldn't fit the 6v battery box - not enough clearance. Bought the boxes first to test fit. Glad I did.

Went the route of 2 group 24 deep cycle 12v batteries. Wiring them right is the key - the leads between the batteries have to be the same length and gauge, and take the positive for the trailer off one, and the negative off the second battery. This keeps the two batteries balanced for cycling.

I also got a bit smarter and wired in a quick connect for the smart battery charger (crappy tire noco genius) and a second quick connect for the solar panel and charge controller that I bought around the same time as the batteries. Went with a Morningstar controller and a 160W panel. Wired a small 150w inverter into the charge controller for recharging phones and tablets. Yep, set the solar panel and charge controller up a few days in to a week and half long camping trip and didn't need the generator at all after that for 5 days. The batteries were still showing over 75% at that point in a heavily treed campsite. And that was without changing the bulbs to LED. That's the next step.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
x2

6V have much thicker plates and it will outlast 12V system every time. I got my trailer getting close to 10 years ago with 2x6V batteries installed by original owner. They are still powering my trailer but will be looking for new set comes spring time. No 12V battery system will last that long. However, they are heavy bustards to carry around
The 8D battery will last that long. I could go 2 weeks without charging it. I now have a solar panel so I don’t have to go that long without a charge.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 AM

If you choose 12 volt batteries you always buy and replace in pairs, if you have a defective battery and a weak one replacing with one good will result in two weak.

Deep-cycle batteries used in RVs typically come in 6- or 12-volt configurations. Six-volt batteries must be installed in pairs and wired in series (connected together so that a + terminal is connected to a – on the other side) so that their combined voltage will be a nominal 12. Twelve-volt batteries can also be used in pairs, but they must be wired in parallel (+ to + and – to -) so that their combined output remains at 12 volts. When 12-volt batteries are wired in parallel and used in pairs, the stronger one will discharge into the weaker one (known as cannibalizing), whereas a pair of 6-volt batteries in series won’t discharge each other.

http://www.trailerlife.com/tech/diy/...t-performance/
Old 01-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Gave up on the expensive trojan 12v's and switched to 2 Costco 12v's, one on the trailer and the other for the trolling motor which serves as a back up. Have a Yamaha 2000 inverter for long boondock trips to keep everything charged up.
I bring mine in the house for the off season and run the charger on them every 6-8 weeks to keep them up. Have been getting about 4-5 years out of them and am happy with that. Looking for a 12v power inverter at about 500 watts to power my 110v air pump for filling up the inflatable boat, then I don't have to fire up the genny, my F150 only has a 150 watt internal 12v.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM

What will you need the power for?

I have Napa's biggest 12v RV battery and it runs the furnace and lights all long weekend with no problem. Mid 80's furnace so it pulls some power when it runs. I just trickle charge it before each trip for a day or two.

We basically eat and sleep in the trailer, most cooking is over the fire, we grew up under tarps around the fire & so did my kids so unless it's super nasty, we don't spend a ton of time inside other than whats mentioned.

Now I have friends who's kids never leave the trailer, always plugged in, charging stuff, watching dvd's. Then I would go with 2 6V batteries.

For most, 2 top line 12V RV batteries should be lots, add a solar panel and you should never go dead.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Try a search of Handy bob solar. Tons of very good info in layman’s terms.