Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Provost Gun Show this weekend...

If you're looking for something to do this weekend, the Provost Gun Show is on, Sat. (10:00 - 5:00) and Sun. (10:00 - 3:00).
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I will be there bright and early Saturday.

You guys that are going to be there should post a pic of yourselves, then we can at least shake hands and know who we are bidding against.

I am the one on the far right.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 AM

Up....
Old 03-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Perfect weather for a drive....
Old 03-06-2010, 06:25 AM

Bushmaster, I perceive from the responses on this thread that gun shows are not what the fellows on this board want to come to are area for.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 AM

I guess you're right. But they could have used it as a scouting trip......

Maybe we should have mentioned the free beer and topless waitresses !!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

was at it by 11 this morning,lots of guns and stuff.I wish there was some archery booths at the shows.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I guess you're right. But they could have used it as a scouting trip......

Maybe we should have mentioned the free beer and topless waitresses !!

Not to mention the fun the crew is having at the Greenhead.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:54 PM

I met up with Bushmaster and Bob there, shook hands with a few guys, dont remember their names.

The show is pretty much the same as all of them, I looked at the same scopes in the same wooden case for the same money 4 years ago at the Lloydminster show, and he still has them. Shocking.

Prophet River has a great layout, CX and BR were there, plus a few of the many treasure hoarders that go to EVERY show trying to make their yearly mortgage payments with the sale of a single gun.

I keep saying I won't go to any more, maybe next year I will listen.

Did you guys find anything worth buying?

I saw standard 1022's beat to hell with a $9.00 scope on them for $389.95

What about the 1200.00 Browning Trombones? I have one here in better condition, 15000 serial numbers older. It must be worth 2500

They must think we are all completely stupid.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Prophet River has a great layout,
Here's a pic of Clay and my boy with a gun that he won in the states. Clay got it up here for us and is a real class act.

Quote:
CX and BR were there, plus a few of the many treasure hoarders that go to EVERY show trying to make their yearly mortgage payments with the sale of a single gun.

I keep saying I won't go to any more, maybe next year I will listen.

Did you guys find anything worth buying?
Yes I did. Bullets for my reloading. A short starter for my .54. Some older reloading manuals for a young fellow on the forum here[they still have good info and 1/6th the price of new ones. A sling with swivels for the new gun for $25. Also a few other items.

Quote:
I saw standard 1022's beat to hell with a $9.00 scope on them for $389.95
They were not trying to sell this to you but someone else.

Quote:
What about the 1200.00 Browning Trombones? I have one here in better condition, 15000 serial numbers older. It must be worth 2500

What numbers yours? Mine is 21000.

Quote:
They must think we are all completely stupid.
If you think that way and then post it here you seem to want to make the gun shows go the way of the Dodo bird. For $5 you get to look at a lot of interesting stuff and talk with knowledgeable people and if that's to tough a price to pay then I guess Cabella's or Bass Pro is your best option cause we all know they never charge to much for anything.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:21 AM

It was a good show. Lots of stuff, some prices were good some bad just like any other store or show. I've never seen a 1 gauge, pretty cool. I just couldn't convince myself to drop the $375 to buy it. Hopefully the dealers all had a good show and will be back next year.

Thanks to everyone who put on a good show.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned

Hoping to see some decoys there, but there were none. Picked up a gopher call.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post

They were not trying to sell this to you but someone else.

They were trying to sell to me, I paid the paltry sum to walk in the door, just like everyone else. I was exactly the person they had in mind.

If you think that way and then post it here you seem to want to make the gun shows go the way of the Dodo bird. For $5 you get to look at a lot of interesting stuff and talk with knowledgeable people and if that's to tough a price to pay then I guess Cabella's or Bass Pro is your best option cause we all know they never charge to much for anything.

Did you have a rough weekend? Just looking for a fight? Did you have a booth there? I said there was nothing interesting to me there, other than Clay's, CX and BRS, the rest of the stuff I found was for the most part wildly overpriced archaic crap from guys that are not actual dealers, by that I mean do not own a store. I have been to gun shows, and the very odd time I have found a deal.

$1800 for a used black 44 desert eagle? LOL!

$600 for a 3-9x40 B&L?

$299 for a Scopechief 3-9x32?

Most of what I looked at was scopes, and I never noticed ANYONE walking out with a used one.

I am not saying that anything I have is necessarily better or worth more, but that I left my archaic crap at home.

I enjoyed talking to Clay and Glen, meeting Bob and Bushmaster, seeing a couple more guys there that I know.

Agree with me or disagree, I don't care. Just my opinion of the show.

I would bet real money that a poll would give results something like 75% of people think most gunshows in the last few years are highly overpriced crap, if they were honest and not trying to kiss anyones butt.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

I have been to few bad shows aswell,, there is no need to sugar coat a show where items are overpriced. It all comes down to people knowing what the pricing should be. This same sort of thing has stopped me from going to auctions,, where a drill with no cord or getting more money than new one.
Getting back to old stuff and high prices why do you think they still have it for sale?? Not really much to argue about that statement.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Did you have a rough weekend? Just looking for a fight? Did you have a booth there? I said there was nothing interesting to me there, other than Clay's, CX and BRS, the rest of the stuff I found was for the most part wildly overpriced archaic crap from guys that are not actual dealers, by that I mean do not own a store. I have been to gun shows, and the very odd time I have found a deal.

$1800 for a used black 44 desert eagle? LOL!

$600 for a 3-9x40 B&L?

$299 for a Scopechief 3-9x32?

Most of what I looked at was scopes, and I never noticed ANYONE walking out with a used one.

I am not saying that anything I have is necessarily better or worth more, but that I left my archaic crap at home.

I enjoyed talking to Clay and Glen, meeting Bob and Bushmaster, seeing a couple more guys there that I know.

Agree with me or disagree, I don't care. Just my opinion of the show.

I would bet real money that a poll would give results something like 75% of people think most gunshows in the last few years are highly overpriced crap, if they were honest and not trying to kiss anyones butt.
I had a great weekend and thanks for asking.
Yes there are probably better deals on some of the stuff at gun shows somewhere else and I never realized you had to own a store to be a dealer[I'm much smarter now].
Many people don't have the where with all to travel looking for better deals and gun shows fill a niche at the local level for them. Running them down so people don't wish to attend can do nothing but harm them so I disagree with that part of your comments.
Because you didn't get a good deal on some toy for yourself doesn't mean that others didn't.
Talking with Joe Kokas/ Stan Taylor, George, Al, Doug/Becky, Doug, Phil, Will and everyone else that was good enough to display their wares made it a great show for me and I hope to see it continue. The Provost fish and game club did their community a great service by putting this show on and their use of the local 4H club to work the door says they care about the area.
If you disagree with me about any of this then I guess it's your turn.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 AM

These show are a major source of revenue for the community groups that put them on. There is a bunch of economic spin off into the community as a result of them. Food, lodging, fuel, maybe some shopping. In many small communities in AB with the loss of income from O&G exploration a bit of a boost is very welcome.

That being said none of the shows are responsible for what their vendors charge, it's a free market. If you don't like it don't attend. Your $5 dollars a day for entertainment will be missed, but that is your right.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM

quoting pitw
I had a great weekend and thanks for asking.
Yes there are probably better deals on some of the stuff at gun shows somewhere else and I never realized you had to own a store to be a dealer[I'm much smarter now]. (just have to get shots in, huh?)
Many people don't have the where with all to travel looking for better deals and gun shows fill a niche at the local level for them. Running them down so people don't wish to attend can do nothing but harm them so I disagree with that part of your comments. You think people are sheep and can not make a decision for themselves? I can not harm them, you are being ridiculous. Because you didn't get a good deal on some toy for yourself doesn't mean that others didn't. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand your point is....
Talking with Joe Kokas/ Stan Taylor, George, Al, Doug/Becky, Doug, Phil, Will and everyone else that was good enough to display their wares made it a great show for me and I hope to see it continue. The Provost fish and game club did their community a great service by putting this show on and their use of the local 4H club to work the door says they care about the area.
If you disagree with me about any of this then I guess it's your turn.

Joe, Stan, George, Al, Doug, Becky, Phil, Will and everyone else did not bring the stuff for display, they brought it to sell. If you went there to gawk and look and shake hands, then you got your money's worth. Good for you.
I went there on the off chance hoping I would find some reasonably priced Brownings. True to EVERY gun show I have attended, I was wrong.
Will I go again? Don't know, but it is my choice. If I choose to praise someone like Clay or Ken, again my choice. If I choose to b1tch about prices, who are you to tell me I am wrong???

I did not know that years ago, gun shows were that. They were set up for display purposes, no one touched without permission, and very little was for sale. They rapidly evolved into sales events, which is more than likely before I was old enough to buy a gun. I go to buy, not to look at wildly overpriced junk.

I gave my opinion of the show, which according to pitw is wrong, or for some reason thinks that I put the crosshairs on him, and is expecting me to get back in the fray.

I had an opinion, as does everyone else.

I am done, unless someone feels they have been slapped sideways and wants to join in.

If not, please, carry on. Good thread.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Wow, I guess I missed this thread for a while. I know from the number of guns going out the door, at least someone thought there was some deals. I'll pass on to Clay that he's not a real dealer :P

Good to hear most of you had a good time and I hope to see you all back next year.