Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I often relate the rmw decline to the grizzley bear.
The grizzley and the whole eco system is life dependant on the short salmon spawn.
Did the rmw rely as heavy on the Bull trout spawn? You see grizzley bears who are so full that they catch a salmon and rip its guts open if its a male salmon its sea gull food. If they catch a female salmon they eat only the eggs. Were bully eggs a ingrediant that played a key factor in rmw numbers?
We have a wierd tme period when bulls were near gone....rmw should of flourished....my simple mind says they needed each other.
Stop making sense...I am getting confused...

There was definitely a whitefish consumption thing going on that helped make 10 lb - 20 lb bulls...not mayflies alone. Maybe not eggs...but definitely eating small to medium whites. In the Oldman River...we electrofished large bulls. We knew a large one was behind an approaching boulder from the big swirl as a 12 inch stunned whitefish drifted by.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
You walk into KFC and a young woman working there tells you it's toonie tuesday. You can have any piece of your choice, buy 1 get 1 free. You jump at the opportunity.

Do you choose:
a)breast
b)thigh
c)drumstick
Just to be clear: Are we talkin' about the chicken or the young woman???
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Just to be clear: Are we talkin' about the chicken or the young woman???
hahahahah,

where is your KFC located Bob? Khoa San rd?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Silver trout? We have the rainbow trout and the brown trout. Why not a Silver trout. LOL
Old 10-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Banned

Or Rocky Mountain Dagger

As Daggers are silver with black handles and about 7 - 15 inches.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
http://www.igfa.org/records/Fish-Rec...sh,%20mountain

Current IGFA Record, 5lb 8oz, Elbow River by Randy Woo.
The Current FWFHF is RMWF 5#15oz Island Park Res Idaho USA Robert K Hall 8/26/97 as of 2011 Record Book
Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
The Current FWFHF is RMWF 5#15oz Island Park Res Idaho USA Robert K Hall 8/26/97 as of 2011 Record Book
I guess they should have updated their website 14 years ago...

Where'd you get the book?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Stop making sense...I am getting confused...
Quote:
There was definitely a whitefish consumption thing going on that helped make 10 lb - 20 lb bulls...not mayflies alone. Maybe not eggs...but definitely eating small to medium whites. In the Oldman River...we electrofished large bulls. We knew a large one was behind an approaching boulder from the big swirl as a 12 inch stunned whitefish drifted by.
Maybe....if Bio's and x-Bio's respected a fishermans word more often the whole fishery thing would be less confussing.
But what the hell.....a person who does 1 field trip a year and sits in their office reading 1978 field tests...... knows way more than guys who fish 172 days a year.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]

Maybe....if Bio's and x-Bio's respected a fishermans word more often the whole fishery thing would be less confussing.
But what the hell.....a person who does 1 field trip a year and sits in their office reading 1978 field tests...... knows way more than guys who fish 172 days a year.
Have you noticed that the best fishing stretches of the Bow in Calgary are where they haven't put the erosion blocks? I returned to Calgary (after being gone for 15 years) and went to spots that were now shored up with big limestone boulders, great stretches of river. Those spots of yonder were once muddied shores or bramble and great spots,, I'm sure there are great bouldered shores but the best I find are where they didn't truck them in for erosion/flood purposes. Anyone?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]

Thanks...

This post sounds more like you. I was very concerned but mostly confused once again.

I guess you did not notice that I gave more credibility to anecdotal information like you profess to know so much about...so...are you saying I am wrong?

Keeping science out of decisions makes more sense to you.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;1103975]Thanks...

This post sounds more like you. I was very concerned but mostly confused once again.

I guess you did not notice that I gave more credibility to anecdotal information like you profess to know so much about...so...are you saying I am wrong?

Keeping science out of decisions makes more sense to you.[/QUOTE]

Sun...not at all....there is a bio on this site who is book smart and water smart i respect very much. His success rate at catching large fish shows me he has a good connection to how the fisheries work.

P.S. saying your wrong will only begin the long winded essays i cant bear to read....so...please understand this.....SUN YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT

p.s.s. you threw the first knife..i just threw it back....cant you catch?

Last edited by chubbdarter; 10-04-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=chubbdarter;1103986]
Quote:
Thanks...

Keeping science out of decisions makes more sense to you.[/QUOTE]

Sun...not at all....there is a bio on this site who is book smart and water smart i respect very much. His success rate at catching large fish shows me he has a good connection to how the fisheries work.

P.S. saying your wrong will only begin the long winded essays i cant bear to read....so...please understand this.....SUN YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT

p.s.s. you threw the first knife..i just threw it back....cant you catch?
LOL...I love your rose colored glasses.

You win...I know everything...

Chubby...5163 posts...joined Dec 19, 2010, 17.87 posts/day

Sun...3159 posts...jointed Jan 21, 2008, 2.34 posts/day

I see your point...I am way more opinionated than you.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Have you noticed that the best fishing stretches of the Bow in Calgary are where they haven't put the erosion blocks? I returned to Calgary (after being gone for 15 years) and went to spots that were now shored up with big limestone boulders, great stretches of river. Those spots of yonder were once muddied shores or bramble and great spots,, I'm sure there are great bouldered shores but the best I find are where they didn't truck them in for erosion/flood purposes. Anyone?
I have not fished the groynes on the Crowsnest in the last couple of years. I heard they don't fish as well as non "mitigated" stretches. Any one attest to this?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;1104078]
Quote:

LOL...I love your rose colored glasses.

You win...I know everything...

Chubby...5163 posts...joined Dec 19, 2010, 17.87 posts/day

Sun...3159 posts...jointed Jan 21, 2008, 2.34 posts/day

I see your point...I am way more opinionated than you.
Typical office warrior mixing up facts

Your a expert on counting beans...how many of my posts are thanking people for posting great pics?....or asking questions?....or just fish chat.

I can almost garantee most(close to all) of your posts are telling people about how wrong everyone is ...lol....ahhahahhahaha..

See you on the ice Sun
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 PM

My buddy has been snorkeling the Bow through Bowness for the past 30 years. In the past the river was polluted with whitefish. He said the river bottom was carpeted with them. Today he says there is only a fraction of the number of fish he use to see in the 70's.
I've noticed the number of whitefish in the Highwood is also a lot lower than in the past (when I saw folks take gunny sacks of the them home).
As far as bugs go, the number of stoneflies on the Bow has greatly increased since the mid-90's when the big floods really flushed out some sediment. Stoneflies are also being seen in greater numbers further downstream of the city. The number of caddisflies around has drastically fallen since the 70's. Gone are the nights you had to wear a hoody to keep them out of your ears and decrease the number trying to crawl up your nose. There still is tons of food in the Bow, it just seems the relative abundances of the various species is changing. There is probably a number of factors limiting whitefish numbers as Bee guy suggested. I'm sure the carpet of Didymo is not helping. The decrease in specific nutrients from the sewage plant that has decreased weed growth has no doubt effect bug populations and their micro-environments
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]

x2,
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
My buddy has been snorkeling the Bow through Bowness for the past 30 years. In the past the river was polluted with whitefish. He said the river bottom was carpeted with them. Today he says there is only a fraction of the number of fish he use to see in the 70's.
I've noticed the number of whitefish in the Highwood is also a lot lower than in the past (when I saw folks take gunny sacks of the them home).
As far as bugs go, the number of stoneflies on the Bow has greatly increased since the mid-90's when the big floods really flushed out some sediment. Stoneflies are also being seen in greater numbers further downstream of the city. The number of caddisflies around has drastically fallen since the 70's. Gone are the nights you had to wear a hoody to keep them out of your ears and decrease the number trying to crawl up your nose. There still is tons of food in the Bow, it just seems the relative abundances of the various species is changing. There is probably a number of factors limiting whitefish numbers as Bee guy suggested. I'm sure the carpet of Didymo is not helping. The decrease in specific nutrients from the sewage plant that has decreased weed growth has no doubt effect bug populations and their micro-environments

Some of the literature I read suggested that caddis are more often found in whitefish bellies than stoneflies are.

Make of that what you will.

It could suggest they are a preferred food item.