Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM

Default SSR float

I know, its months away from open water now, but I was wondering if anyone had ever floated (not jet boated) the SSR from Medicine Hat to Diefenbaker? Im thinking it would be an interesting canoe trip, might take a long time though.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Never heard of anyone going quite that far from the Hat but I'll ask around. Am planning on doing a few river trips myself next year but likely not that far. Depends how long it would take (gotta leave plenty of time to explore the water-fishing) If it could be done in a week with ample time to fish, then I'd say it's a great idea. Am curious too as to whether anyone has done this? Got a buddy who works for Search n Rescue and he was saying they did new depth tests this year of the SSR and I should be able to get some sorta map/depth info from the fire department. Gonna look into that too as I would love to get an updated depth chart of the riv.I think it would be quite an adventure provided it never turned into the movie 'Deliverance' type scenario Cheers!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Never heard of anyone going quite that far from the Hat but I'll ask around. Am planning on doing a few river trips myself next year but likely not that far. Depends how long it would take (gotta leave plenty of time to explore the water-fishing) If it could be done in a week with ample time to fish, then I'd say it's a great idea. Am curious too as to whether anyone has done this? Got a buddy who works for Search n Rescue and he was saying they did new depth tests this year of the SSR and I should be able to get some sorta map/depth info from the fire department. Gonna look into that too as I would love to get an updated depth chart of the riv.I think it would be quite an adventure provided it never turned into the movie 'Deliverance' type scenario Cheers!
2 canoes are better than one, maybe it will work out, be nice to have someone along to outfish Be nice to have a copy of that river info, if you get a copy let me know. I know it would change a lot over the seasons but at least it would show the deep holes. As for the deliverance bit, remember we "would" be floating into Saskatchewan!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM

The float down to Sandy Point(the bridge on highway 41 crosses the SSR) has been done.......it all depends on time fishing and river flow as to how long it will take you.
Lots ot people think its a day trip
A week should get you to Diefenbaker but no gurantees.We floated from Bow Island to Medicine Hat,fished a fair bit but there was no real floating... it was paddling all the way cause that river don't move fast sometimes.Thankfully I've moved on to jet boats(just wish it was mine!) which make it alot easier on my back!!
Years ago I was fishing at Sandy Point and a guy with a canoe(actually 2) pulled up and camped for the night.Turned out he came from way upstream on the Bow River and his mission was to get to Deifenbaker.A tent,a stove,a 22 rifle and a dog for company.....he looked rough but seemed pretty happy even though it was taking longer than expected.
I guess I'm saying err on the long side and be prepared to do alot of paddling and not alot of floating!!