Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM

I will be up once again to Port Hardy and will probably head to the west coast for a day or two. Might make it up a bit earlier than usual due to the whole Halibut situation.
Plan to be there mid July.
I will be chartering my own boat...... Ah can't wait!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I am planning to take my boat to Prince Rupert this summer. This will be my fourth trip and every time I go I come away with more questions. Here are a few and i would appreciate any help you can give.
How do you decide between herring or anchovie?
When you use herring, is it whole,cutplug or strip?
How do you decide on flasher or dodger?
How do you decide on flasher color?
How do you decide on leader length?
Do you use downrigger cable angle to judge trolling speed when the tide is running?
I probaby have 1000 questions where these came from so tell me when you get tired of answering.

Thanks
Sea.. Let me see if I can help. Others may have some thoughts.
We only use herring (Cut Plug)
We use Flashers. Color depends on the day. If your not producing, keep a eye out for what others are using.
Leader length is a personal thing. find what you like and go with it. All my guides use a different length
Interesting trick I learnt last year was to watch your cables and when you start to see bubbles form on them, you are going to fast.

Where are you fishing in Rupert? What time of year? What type/Size of boat/Engine are you running?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I will be up once again to Port Hardy and will probably head to the west coast for a day or two. Might make it up a bit earlier than usual due to the whole Halibut situation.

Mike, that looks fantastic. I thought I read something about you comming to Rupert? If so, where do you fish and stay??

Jamie
Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
John, you have to come out this summer and try out those bad boys!!!
Perhaps I just dropped 26,000 bucks on a new boat . So might be a year or two , unless some nice kind person buys my quad .
Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Mike, that looks fantastic. I thought I read something about you comming to Rupert? If so, where do you fish and stay??

Jamie
Nah Jamie I fish out of hardy.... Did the rain forest thing once though.... Not my cup of tea lol
Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I am planning to take my boat to Prince Rupert this summer. This will be my fourth trip and every time I go I come away with more questions. Here are a few and i would appreciate any help you can give.
Do you use downrigger cable angle to judge trolling speed when the tide is running?
I probaby have 1000 questions where these came from so tell me when you get tired of answering.

Thanks
Here's some answers that'll help ya out...

Decision between herring and anchovy is based on what bait fish is in the area...if needlefish (sandlance) go for anchovy, if herring or pilchard, go for herring.

I'd go flasher 99% of the time, but I'm bias as that's all I use, when it comes to flasher colour I will always start off with an ol' betsy on one side and either a green/gold or red/gold on the other...one thing I do that I hadn't heard of many others doing is after you catch your first fish, look at its back and the colors on its back...quite often you'll see either a dark green (stick to green) or purple/red's etc...I always try to match the back... as you know fish travel in schools so chances are many of the other fish in the area will have similar backs.

Leader length, for Chinook, always go for 5-7ft.

Speed, with 12lb balls, using braided downrigger line, want a 45 degree angle for trolling anchovy...works like a charm...regardless of tide strength as if you're going against the tide you'll be moving over ground slower but remember the tide is making your bait turn as well, so speed over ground is not important...all about how the bait is being pushed under water and angle of downrigger wire indicates that.

best of luck
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 02-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Here's some answers that'll help ya out...

Decision between herring and anchovy is based on what bait fish is in the area...if needlefish (sandlance) go for anchovy, if herring or pilchard, go for herring.

I'd go flasher 99% of the time, but I'm bias as that's all I use, when it comes to flasher colour I will always start off with an ol' betsy on one side and either a green/gold or red/gold on the other...one thing I do that I hadn't heard of many others doing is after you catch your first fish, look at its back and the colors on its back...quite often you'll see either a dark green (stick to green) or purple/red's etc...I always try to match the back... as you know fish travel in schools so chances are many of the other fish in the area will have similar backs.

Leader length, for Chinook, always go for 5-7ft.

Speed, with 12lb balls, using braided downrigger line, want a 45 degree angle for trolling anchovy...works like a charm...regardless of tide strength as if you're going against the tide you'll be moving over ground slower but remember the tide is making your bait turn as well, so speed over ground is not important...all about how the bait is being pushed under water and angle of downrigger wire indicates that.

best of luck
Good response based on experience. Good feedback D.S.
Limited for time right now, but will try and provide some feedback as well with a few WCVI twists to the trolling game that I have been doing for the last 30 years..... I just dated myself and realize why my bones are sore...Funny how a strong chrome bright Salmon can make the aches go away!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM

Well if all goes according to plan, it will be a week on the Kitimat, a week on the Skeena with my jet boat. Lots of beer and camping on shore with friends and family.

Then depending on timing and plans, it will be a week at Stevens Island area for Coho, Halibut, crab and rock fish on a friends big ocean boat.

Also if the sockeye are running strong this year, might try to fit a 5 day jaunt to the Fraser.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Good response based on experience. Good feedback D.S.
Limited for time right now, but will try and provide some feedback as well with a few WCVI twists to the trolling game that I have been doing for the last 30 years..... I just dated myself and realize why my bones are sore...Funny how a strong chrome bright Salmon can make the aches go away!
Ya, you're old Looking forward to hearing some wcvi twists...different fishing on wcvi due to depth and offshore but may give em a try over here too!!!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Here is a pic of my Son and my Dad enjoying Willy's first Salmon!!

I just like this pic. Future Salmon fishing expert in training. LOLOLOL

Once they experiance fishing, you just cant stop them

Determination!!

Sydney had a great time!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Sea.. Let me see if I can help. Others may have some thoughts.
We only use herring (Cut Plug)
We use Flashers. Color depends on the day. If your not producing, keep a eye out for what others are using.
Leader length is a personal thing. find what you like and go with it. All my guides use a different length
Interesting trick I learnt last year was to watch your cables and when you start to see bubbles form on them, you are going to fast.

Where are you fishing in Rupert? What time of year? What type/Size of boat/Engine are you running?

Thanks
Jamie
Last year was my first trip out to Rupert. Before that I tried Kitimat and Kincolith. We were out in august last year and did real well on coho but no springs. This year I plan to take my boat out earlier,possibly in June to try for springs and leave it there in storage so we can make a few more trips over the summer and bring it home in the fall.
Last year I stayed close to Rupert and fished mostly at Lucy and Humpback Bay. If the weather is right I hope to venture farther this year.
My boat is a North River Seahawk with the offshore bracket and my motors are both Yamaha's, a 150 and a high thrust 8.
I have owned and run boats on the lakes in Alberta for 30 years but have found the ocean to be totally different. Even with two motors,dual batteries,two VHF radios,dual bilge pumps,nautical charts on my GPS,flares, a handheld GPS and a good solid boat you never totally relax.
I certainly appreciate your advice. Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned

Sea hawk.
Your welcome, you are more than welcome to drop by the Lodge and see if you can squezzzzze our guides for some better and more timely information!! Might cost you a beer or 2, but dont worry, it will be made up when you come up to the main Lodge for a bit of our hospitality.

Where do you stay in Rupert? I might be able to help with some storage solutions.
Do you yank your boat out each night?

I might have a idea that works for you. Feel free to get in touch.
403-813-2704

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the offer. I will try to call this evening.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:18 PM

I am heading to just about the west coast, Harrison Hotsprings to fish sturgeon for two days at the end of March. We decided to go with two guides, one guide for each day, to see what guides do differently and the same on that part of the river.

I was suprised at the cost at this time of year, compared to the busy season.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM

I'll be sitting on the Skeena for 2mths. and maybe a trip to Rupert
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I am heading to just about the west coast, Harrison Hotsprings to fish sturgeon for two days at the end of March. We decided to go with two guides, one guide for each day, to see what guides do differently and the same on that part of the river.

I was suprised at the cost at this time of year, compared to the busy season.
Parents and relatives own the Sasquatch Inn not far from there....beautiful place and amazing Sturgeon fishing, you'll have a blast.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm heading out for week 1/2 canoe trip on the coast, just me, my wife and the sounds of the ocean and hopefully a giant salmon yanking us around. To be honest I can't even come close to affording what you guys are talking about, maybe in a few years
Old 02-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Well done Mike! Man of the fish, moose and birds!
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
I'm heading out for week 1/2 canoe trip on the coast, just me, my wife and the sounds of the ocean and hopefully a giant salmon yanking us around. To be honest I can't even come close to affording what you guys are talking about, maybe in a few years

Time, where are you guys taking off from?
Sounds like a killer adventure.

Jamie
Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Default West Coast

I'll be doing the Fly fishing salmon thing in august like usual. Always stoked on that trip.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 PM

I am this spring, school trip but we still get to go fishing spend five days on a boat doing jobs including fishing and catching crab
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks
When it comes to the Rupert Area, I hear that herring is the most used bait. If using the herring in a teaser head, curve the bait so it rolls once or twice per second.

Acorrding to the research I've been doing on BC coast fishing, flashers are dominantly used whether trolling a spoon or bait.

When it comes to flasher colour, from personal experience and research, green and betsy are the best colours to use for Chinook Salmon. When trolling for pinks, sockeye, and chum, red and orange flasher generally will produce well because those three species heavilly feed on plankton.

The most common leader lenth is usually between 5 and 7ft. I tried 6ft last year as it was in the middle of the road length and it turns out that it worked out well.. When it comes to leader strength, I would recommend using a 30+lb leader. I used a 25lb leader last year and lost a large chinook "fish of a lifetime" that was screaming line off of the reel. I suspect that the strain of the flasher going backwards broke the leader like nothing!

When it comes to down rigger angle in the water I hear the a 45 degree angle usually is the best. Fishing with or sideways into the tide I hear is the most productive.

For more info you can get a maximum salmon book off of Amazon that I have found very helpful.

Also, here's a link to a few websites with great info.

http://www.fishbc.com/adventure/angl...t/rupert.phtml

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM

got a 5 day trip planned for rupert( work channel and hopefully up to dundas ) 3rd week in june and a 5 day trip planned for tofino 3rd week of july. i think i have been doing about 4 hrs of research a night. i think i got the rupert fishing half figured out but i have been obsessing over finding everything i can about fishing wcvi. seems there are a few more variables with tackle, offshore/inshore option, exposure to open pacific.on and on..have to drive to mexico to go get my new boat so i will at least get a few days fishing down there that will be a bit of a fix. also have to go get new electric downriggers next month. im going with scottys with 60 inch booms. if im going to stack rods is it better to have the duel rod holder or go with the single and install a seperate rod holder further away to spread the lines a little? hope to see some of you out on the chuck. hope this year is as good as last. pm me if anyone is fishing the same areas. i would love to trade war stories and share notes. hurry up june. you cant get here soon enough.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
got a 5 day trip planned for rupert( work channel and hopefully up to dundas ) 3rd week in june and a 5 day trip planned for tofino 3rd week of july. i think i have been doing about 4 hrs of research a night. i think i got the rupert fishing half figured out but i have been obsessing over finding everything i can about fishing wcvi. seems there are a few more variables with tackle, offshore/inshore option, exposure to open pacific.on and on..have to drive to mexico to go get my new boat so i will at least get a few days fishing down there that will be a bit of a fix. also have to go get new electric downriggers next month. im going with scottys with 60 inch booms. if im going to stack rods is it better to have the duel rod holder or go with the single and install a seperate rod holder further away to spread the lines a little? hope to see some of you out on the chuck. hope this year is as good as last. pm me if anyone is fishing the same areas. i would love to trade war stories and share notes. hurry up june. you cant get here soon enough.
Ready to help you when you get to our area or before...
Also, I'd spread your stacked rods a bit.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Parents and relatives own the Sasquatch Inn not far from there....beautiful place and amazing Sturgeon fishing, you'll have a blast.
The Sasquatch Inn?! Very cool! We will definitely check it out. I was watching a program on Discovery not long ago, where there was a witness account of a Saquatch encounter on the Bridal Falls FSR, not far from Harrison. Looks like a gret place to visit, I am very much looking forward to exploring the area.

Keep the Wet Coast fishing pictures coming guys! I never get tired of seeing pictures of Salmon, Hali and Ling with a happy angler!
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

We'll be headed to Langara again this year. Usually do one trip mid-June and one at the end of August. Just finalizing dates now. Good luck to everyone this season!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The Sasquatch Inn?! Very cool! We will definitely check it out. I was watching a program on Discovery not long ago, where there was a witness account of a Saquatch encounter on the Bridal Falls FSR, not far from Harrison. Looks like a gret place to visit, I am very much looking forward to exploring the area.

Keep the Wet Coast fishing pictures coming guys! I never get tired of seeing pictures of Salmon, Hali and Ling with a happy angler!

A Nice Halibut just prior to release....

First time Ocean fisherman - First Tyee

Something to play with in between Halibut bites

Some kids having fun...

Breaking 40....

Snapppah!!

This guy got crabs in Tofino and still left with a smile

For the Freshwater guys..Spring Steelhead

Salmon Party...

Double Header Fun

Offshore Battle...We won this one!

The Ling Picture you asked for?

In my other office...

Old 02-25-2012, 11:16 AM

Default Some pictures of Telegraph cove last summer

Can't wait to try the new boat on the coast this year! Hope it is as good as last year for nice size Springs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg telegraph 2011 015.JPG (96.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg telegraph 2011 025.JPG (77.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg telegraph 2011 083.jpg (86.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Can't wait to try the new boat on the coast this year! Hope it is as good as last year for nice size Springs!
Browning.. NICE FISH!!
What are you running for a boat? Any pics?
As well, where are you going this year?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 02-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Heading to Port Hardy in June with Serengeti. Can't wait to get into some fish!!