Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbuckmaster View Post
Heading to Port Hardy in June with Serengeti. Can't wait to get into some fish!!
Duane, to get your blood going for the trip, here are some pictures of last June's fishing up here....

July 1st
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM

Two trips booked in the Nootka Island area, one self guided and one where they will spoil me! Can't wait for summer
Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Ready to help you when you get to our area or before...
Also, I'd spread your stacked rods a bit.
so go with the model with single rod holder and buy a seperate rod holder?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Gonna spend three weeks in Terrace and Kitimat fishing for Chinook, Chum, and Steelhead. Also probably gonna take a day trip on the ocean in Rupert as I was able to find a deal through a charter there. Can't wait!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Browning.. NICE FISH!!
What are you running for a boat? Any pics?
As well, where are you going this year?

Thanks
Jamie
Picked up a new Campion 552i, going to get it next week from Jones Boys at Kootney lake, needed some thing i can use on the prairies as well.

I'm heading to my favorite spot in July with my new wife for our honey moon at Telegraph cove than spend a couple of days at Port Hardy then finish up a couple of days in Bamfield.

Then leave the boat at my dads in nanimo and come back out again in august for a guys trip to Nootka sound for some monster slabs.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Forgot to say Duane, when you are up so will The Hunting Chronicles, so you'll be on tv as well haha

Old 02-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
so go with the model with single rod holder and buy a seperate rod holder?
Personally I prefer my stack rod to be away from the other far enough to decipher which is getting hit. I find the dual base holder off the downrigger can be confusing for guests setting their own hooks in the heat of the moment.

My stacked rods are usually in holders a couple feet apart..
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Yeah seeing all these pics gets me so excited for our fishing trip. Thanks David for sharing the pics of Port Hardy last year in June. So hunting cronicles will be shooting a show with you guys at the same time we are there. Totally awesome!! I'll have to let the other boys know.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

Keep the Wet Coast fishing pictures coming guys! I never get tired of seeing pictures of Salmon, Hali and Ling with a happy angler!
Heres a couple pics from Sooke last Summer. It was my first time fishing the coast. I'm already stoked about next summer from reading this thread!

Attachment 38092

Attachment 38093

Attachment 38094

Attachment 38095

Attachment 38096

Attachment 38097

Attachment 38098

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy on a Buffalo View Post
We will probably surf in tofino instead.
The surf is tiny in the summer months in Tof,
I used to live in Ukee and I worked at Live to Surf, Tofinos first surf shop.

If there is decent swell, stop by L2S and speak with Kiyo, Jean-Paul or Pascale. They will set you up with everything you'll need.

If the waves aren't there, cheap charters can be had at the Princess in Ucluelet. Last time I went, it was $120 per person and I brought home 60 lbs of deboned Salmon, Halibut, Ling, and various types of Rockfish. We were fishing out at Big Bank.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:23 PM

so im going to pick up a couple mooching rod/reel set ups. thinking of going with shimano gt 2000 or 4000 and mabe a couple shimano convergence rods. what rod action and line rating would you recomend. they will be used 95% of the time off downriggers. these are on sale right now. will they do the trick or should i go lighter? i will be using braid with mabe a top shot for a bit of a shock absorber
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264285.html
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Is it bad my dad has an offshore boat and I've turned the last two summers down to save my holidays for hunting? Maybe this year I'll fly out to his place and head up island and slay some halibut and springs.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I'm heading out to the Kitimat River for some DIY fly fishing for chum! I've done 3 ocean trips to Rupert in the past and had a great time, would like to go back one day.
Been there a few times BIG chum in the Kitimat and springs. Might see you out there ,heading up that way last week of July.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
so im going to pick up a couple mooching rod/reel set ups. thinking of going with shimano gt 2000 or 4000 and mabe a couple shimano convergence rods. what rod action and line rating would you recomend. they will be used 95% of the time off downriggers. these are on sale right now. will they do the trick or should i go lighter? i will be using braid with mabe a top shot for a bit of a shock absorber
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storef...rod264285.html
Convergence is ok in my experience, snapped two last year off the downrigger but I nail the cr** out of the fish when it bites...one 46lber snapped the rod when I hooked it and lady still got it in the boat! Don't go lighter in my opinion, especially using braid with very little give compared to the mono I use, and it still snapped.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Convergence is ok in my experience, snapped two last year off the downrigger but I nail the cr** out of the fish when it bites...one 46lber snapped the rod when I hooked it and lady still got it in the boat! Don't go lighter in my opinion, especially using braid with very little give compared to the mono I use, and it still snapped.
so much for that idea. only one left and shipping will almost cost as much as the rod.they are not making them any longer. what is another decent mooching rod without breaking the bank? any of u bc guys get out for early season hali's yet? all of us alberta boys could use a few pics to ease the itch a little
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Cool

my bhoys in the nelson area have invited moi to bamfield limits of spring, hali, then 30-40 miles offshore for tunny.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo mulcher View Post
Been there a few times BIG chum in the Kitimat and springs. Might see you out there ,heading up that way last week of July.
Cool! I haven't been up there for years, and I wasn't as serious into fly fishing then, so I'm excited to get my first salmon on the fly. Can't wait to get up there and explore!!

You've been a few times I take it?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
so much for that idea. only one left and shipping will almost cost as much as the rod.they are not making them any longer. what is another decent mooching rod without breaking the bank? any of u bc guys get out for early season hali's yet? all of us alberta boys could use a few pics to ease the itch a little
Bard..
Missed the Hali opening yesterday and today. Flu/Cold kickin my Butt right now....
The Convergence would have been OK, especially for the price they were probably blowing them out for (didn't look at the WSS link)
As one option, I would recommend the Fenwick HMX that comes in a couple different powers that are suitable for downriggers. Not sure why you want to troll braid? Are you going to jig with the same rods?
We run mono when trolling like Dave mentioned, but your choice.
I am happy to provide a sweet deal to you on a couple of combos, as I always offer discounts to AO members.
If interested, send me a direct email
and I'll provide options.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Cool! I haven't been up there for years, and I wasn't as serious into fly fishing then, so I'm excited to get my first salmon on the fly. Can't wait to get up there and explore!!

You've been a few times I take it?
back in the day coho flats was accessible from my back yard. when /if you make it to kitimat find angle street and ask a home owner if you can access the trail head. hike down to the river.this will bring you to a large pool, move above the pool till you find hiersh creek. the next few miles of hierch creek are heaven to a fly fishermen.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Gone Hunting

My BIL and brother have been going for several years now.
This year I hope to join them.

They have thier own Deep Water Boat, a thirty something foot cabin cruiser.
They catch Salmon and Halbit. I do believe they go further north, somewhere around Prince Rupert I believe.

I guess I'll find out in a few months.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 AM

I am. Just need to hash out a few details. I got a buddy who is a fellow WFN Ambassador and we are just in the works of planning a winter trip. Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon.

This teip is going to be awesome. Can't wait to get there and get video and pictures. Going to be a blast.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Bard..
Missed the Hali opening yesterday and today. Flu/Cold kickin my Butt right now....
The Convergence would have been OK, especially for the price they were probably blowing them out for (didn't look at the WSS link)
As one option, I would recommend the Fenwick HMX that comes in a couple different powers that are suitable for downriggers. Not sure why you want to troll braid? Are you going to jig with the same rods?
I am happy to provide a sweet deal to you on a couple of combos, as I always offer discounts to AO members.
i had my abu 7000 levelwind with me down in mexico and started using braid on the yellowtail.made it nicer to cast but i found it alot funner playing the fish with it. can feel the fish a lot better. might not be as good for landing more fish but i find it to be a lot funner. was going to tie on a bit of top shot to give a little more shock absorber this year. i would guess i might loose a fish or two because it doesn't stretch as much but i think its worth it if the fight is twice as fun. i might try one with braid and one with mono on my new rigs to see the difference. i would love to buy a couple rigs off u tofino. i will send u a pm.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

My first trip out this summer will be leaving May 17 after work from edmonchuk. 2 Trucks, 2 boats and 8 guys.
Fishing by noon on the 18th satying in the area from 18 to 26.
??? where will I fish, if weather permits we will go up to Port Simpson and fish top of work, Dundas and other close spots. Tie up every night in Simpson. Weather not so good, then douglas channel, leave kitimat, hartley bay for fuel tie up in Bishop bay, fish that area.

I will report when I return. I will be going out again in June, in July and in August or Sept. Looking forward to stopping by at GPSL, I met Jamie (fishing show) and look forward to seeing his place.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Planning on a road trip to West Coast Van Isle with my 12' lund and a tent. Find some of the old stomping grounds and be flexible enough to go where the fish are. I love the looks I get when out on the chuck with my boat and the guys paying a ton of cash with their guides and I am pulling in the salmon. LOL!!! Sure miss the coast but only in the summer months. Tight lines to all and be safe out there.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agb Crash View Post
My first trip out this summer will be leaving May 17 after work from edmonchuk. 2 Trucks, 2 boats and 8 guys.
Fishing by noon on the 18th satying in the area from 18 to 26.
??? where will I fish, if weather permits we will go up to Port Simpson and fish top of work, Dundas and other close spots. Tie up every night in Simpson. Weather not so good, then douglas channel, leave kitimat, hartley bay for fuel tie up in Bishop bay, fish that area.

I will report when I return. I will be going out again in June, in July and in August or Sept. Looking forward to stopping by at GPSL, I met Jamie (fishing show) and look forward to seeing his place.
AGB.. Looking forward to you guys dropping by. We will be there at the same time and I do have boats going out with people on May 21. Before that I will have them out doing some scouting.

Jamie
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM

just saw the outdoor quest episode. looks like you run a nice tight outfit jamie. i wish it was a little longer to see the lodge and some more great scenery. gotta love/hate when those killer whales come through. we met a pod up at the work last year at last light. told everyone at camp and everyone scattered from there in the morning. we had our best day that morning so i can't curse them out too much. can't wait to fish up that way this year. were they pulling plugs? couldn't see any flashers and i thought i saw a few tomic's laying on the gunwales.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Bard..
X2 I Run Fenwicks and they are a very nice rod, paired with some MR3's its a tough setup to beat!!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
i had my abu 7000 levelwind with me down in mexico and started using braid on the yellowtail.made it nicer to cast but i found it alot funner playing the fish with it. can feel the fish a lot better. might not be as good for landing more fish but i find it to be a lot funner. was going to tie on a bit of top shot to give a little more shock absorber this year. i would guess i might loose a fish or two because it doesn't stretch as much but i think its worth it if the fight is twice as fun. i might try one with braid and one with mono on my new rigs to see the difference. i would love to buy a couple rigs off u tofino. i will send u a pm.
Hey I don't know if you have ever salmon fished before but I have never caught a Spring or coho and said "boy I wish I had braid cause that wasnt fun enough".
I have no experience with braid on downriggers but I would think that it would fray up pretty quick with all the miles put on running through the water especially from the rod tip to the downrigger clip.
I would stick with a 25 or 30 lb high quality mono like a Maxima Ultragreen.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
just saw the outdoor quest episode. looks like you run a nice tight outfit jamie. i wish it was a little longer to see the lodge and some more great scenery. gotta love/hate when those killer whales come through. we met a pod up at the work last year at last light. told everyone at camp and everyone scattered from there in the morning. we had our best day that morning so i can't curse them out too much. can't wait to fish up that way this year. were they pulling plugs? couldn't see any flashers and i thought i saw a few tomic's laying on the gunwales.
Bard, thanks for watching. Glad you enjoyed the show and thanks for the compliments. Yes it is a tight outfit we run. We designed it to be the best Lodge on the Coast and we are constantly improving in order to exceed that goal.

They would have been using plugs and bait (herring). But the guides have a free hand to run what ever is working on that day and time. Flashers as well.

Jamie
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

Guys check out this thread if you are useing Dundas 101 or anyother floating set ups in the Rupert area.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=127151

It's going to be almost imposible to get set up this year. I just got off the phone with a guide in Rupert and he is looking for room for 100 people this summer.

As well, if you have booked with a charter company, make 100% sure they have already booked you in to another set up. If not, your trip will be much different than what you planned.

We still have room, but do not delay.

Jamie