Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: fishing courses needed?
yes, so we can save our lakes and rivers 70 41.92%
No way 98 58.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 04:27 PM

I still vote no with one caveat, add a mandatory course as part of the punishment for serious violations as is done with hunter's boo-boos.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Seeing a fatal car crash is deeply disturbing. Reading others opinions regarding trophy fish and C&R on an internet forum shouldn't be deeply disturbing to you. You need to log off.
log off of life...some people will never learn...
Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
log off of life...some people will never learn...
wow, excessive?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Not a terrible idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
Thank you ! that's exactly what i was getting at !
I don't see how a short exam/questionnaire that's included in the cost of a licence (no cash grab), mandatory at time of purchase so it's in-person, specific to fish identification, lake limits, etc, can be a bad thing. It would have to be open-book of course but still, is that bad? Forces people to look in the book. How many inexperienced anglers do you know who never turn a page of the regs? Seems to me I see numerous threads on this site of people complaining about how "fisherman Joe needs to read the regs" because of one reason or another.

camogirl, I think your title was a little misleading but I don't see this as all bad.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM

a mandatory course would be great!! Proper care of fish in catch and release areas and specie recognition is definitly needed.
Dont need to see another pic of some bait fisher gill fcuking a fish with a scale, after its been laying on the ice for 20 min, just so he can grab his camera to get a shot before he stuffs it back in the water.
More rules are needed! along with higher prices for licenses so we can pay for more enforcement.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerloop View Post
more rules are needed!
We have rules.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerloop View Post
a mandatory course would be great!! Proper care of fish in catch and release areas and specie recognition is definitly needed.
Dont need to see another pic of some bait fisher gill fcuking a fish with a scale, after its been laying on the ice for 20 min, just so he can grab his camera to get a shot before he stuffs it back in the water.
More rules are needed! along with higher prices for licenses so we can pay for more enforcement.
The rules are already there. Education and enforcement required.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Seeing a fatal car crash is deeply disturbing. Reading others opinions regarding trophy fish and C&R on an internet forum shouldn't be deeply disturbing to you. You need to log off.
es he really does need to log off!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
camogirl

Quote:
There we go! more positivity happening , ya it may cost for money ! ya the govt may take lots of it already! but hey i think the money involved with this course should be given to fish and wildlife, to once again save our rivers and lakes, from people who cant even tell what they are catching! Fishing is fun, its used for relaxation, but it has also been a hobby to lots of people from forever ago! we need to keep it that way , or everyone will start complaining that there not catching anything!

Give that a thought, we cant control the poachers , but we can help prevent it !!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:25 PM
Banned

Based on the quality and content of some of the recent posts it would appear that school is out...........4:20?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Based on the quality and content of some of the recent posts it would appear that school is out...........4:20?
Are you and hunter49 the same poster?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM

As I said before, Hunterdave, maybe you should put down the bottle! Go pound sand buddy! Do you have anything constructive to add here besides babble??
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Are you and hunter49 the same poster?
wtf are you talking about? I dont agree with a single thing hunterdave has ever said or will ever say.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
wtf are you talking about? I dont agree with a single thing hunterdave has ever said or will ever say.
lol, I thought you were telling me to log off of life... I get it now.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM

I think taking a course to fish is completely retarded. What's next? I would like to see how the ol timers react to this if it ever happened. It actually wouldn't happen, because it's a dumb idea. If u wanna learn the rules, read the regulations. If u want info on species or how to fish, read a book or research the internet. What do u think people did before internet or books.... Dad or grandpa.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Who cares what the ol' timers think? Get with it or do something else. Really, what did they do before the internet? destroy the planet!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Who cares what the ol' timers think? Get with it or do something else. Really, what did they do before the internet? destroy the planet!
Destroy the planet? Really? This course idea would never work. What would happen if u got caught fishing without taking this course?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
And your changed it soooooo much better with the internet ... hahahahahahah
Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
And your changed it soooooo much better with the internet ... hahahahahahah
haha I never said I or the internet changed anything just tellin you the facts. Who cares what ppl think because they are to set in their ways to change things for the better. ha
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Pike Man View Post
Destroy the planet? Really? This course idea would never work. What would happen if u got caught fishing without taking this course?
Caught fishing without a course would be the same as fishing without a license. Because you couldnt have a license without the course.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
haha I never said I or the internet changed anything just tellin you the facts. Who cares what ppl think because they are to set in their ways to change things for the better. ha
So wheres the facts your talking about ......
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Caught fishing without a course would be the same as fishing without a license. Because you couldnt have a license without the course.
Do u know how many people would not pay those tickets? Do u know what that would do to the court system? What a waste of the courts time. This topic is so stupid i dont even want to comment. Having a tag system is stupid enough. If they would just charge more for a fishing license and use that money to put towards more C.O's, biologists,restocking/ taking care of lakes, it would be much better. I would have no problem with that... I would gladly pay what ever they wanted.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Oh I have, have I. And what education would that be.......cuz a course is required to go hunting? Let me offer you this......when you shoot a mule deer instead of a whitetail it's gone, period. There is no hatchery anywhere in Alberta that grows mule deer to replace it. IMO comparing fish as a resource to big game is absolutely ludicrous and a poor argument for making a fishing course mandatory. I don't think that I need to point out the obvious differences between a rifle and a fishing rod.......do I? Think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
As I said before, Hunterdave, maybe you should put down the bottle! Go pound sand buddy! Do you have anything constructive to add here besides babble??
Babble? Huh, I thought that I expressed my ideas quite clearly and logically before the babble started.

IMO attacking the messenger instead of the message is a sign of weakness and defeat. Kumbaya buddy!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. there has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. i,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. in any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
p.s. may i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
camogirl

Thumbs up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. There has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. Being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. I,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. In any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
P.s. May i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
lol
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Before the internet there was these things made of paper and full of information.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i have read 4 pages on this thread and put my own 2 bits worth in. there has been some good and bad ideas from both sides of this debate and i have found it quite informative and entertaining. being fairly new to this site (and the internet) i especially get a kick out of how quickly some of the members take things to a personal level. i,d love to see some of their p.m.s, and can only guess that there are some long standing fueds going on, or perhaps were all getting a little cabin fever after this big snowfall. in any case i really enjoy reading all the different threads.
p.s. may i suggest couples therepy or a boxing ring for few of you?
Bbbbbbaby
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguy View Post
before the internet there was these things made of paper and full of information.
......books ......right?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
......books ......right?
haha, yeah you got it. There was even things like fisheries biologists, and science and stuff before the internet.

Amazingly enough almost every single species of fish in Canada was discovered and named pre-internet.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
haha, yeah you got it. There was even things like fisheries biologists, and science and stuff before the internet.

Amazingly enough almost every single species of fish in Canada was discovered and named pre-internet.
Why do we need the internet then ....lol