Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Default Self climbing tree stands

This year I finally invested in a self climbing tree standing. Im pretty pumped on the mobility but not sure on how to take full advantage of it.

I like hunting really deep bush and I don't pattern the deer much due to accessibility. That being said I'm wondering what everyone's approach is to hunting this way with no trail cams or patterning bucks. Im assuming what ill be doing mostly is setting up and seeing where they come out of an relocating but just wanting some past experiences.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Default lots of scouting

I bring a pocket gps and look for intersecting game trails, water and food areas. If I see wildlife frequenting there that's what ill try in the fall.

Bring a saw with you as the self climbers need a clean tree...lol
Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Default Look to adjust straps

The straps my stand come with where very uncomfortable on long carries. I have the Summitt Viper and the strap comes to V at the back of my neck. I hand the MIL put in a spacer so the straps more comfortably sat on my shoulders rather than right on my neck.

Some more adjustment may be needed but this is a big help.

I have considered designing stand alone straps more comfortable for carries but haven't got around to it yet.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Definitely a folding saw is a must. Scout for scrapes and rubs and look downwind for suitable trees to climb. I've harvested the nicest bucks the first time I've sat a spot. They never expect ya. Keep the sun to your back if possible and hang scent stuff on trails/scrapes before you climb. Works perfect to get them to stop without noise. Bleat cans work best for me in Nov.
You'll love it and never go back to fixed.
BTW I have an API Shooting Star. They don`t make them anymore.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 PM

Default Climbers

Really Like mine, I have an Ameristep, I look for funnels or travel corridors and set up 20 yards off the main trail, if possible an evergreen or two close by to hide your form in the tree, my stand is comfortable to carry but can be a little noisey going in if you dont tie in all the loose ends. works great on public land...too many tree stands have been stolen in the area I hunt, take it with you when you go in and when you come out.

I think depending on brand they are safer than most hanging stands, that moment when you get off the pegs and onto the platform without your harness can be a bad one if your not careful.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Default Self climbers

You do have to be a little more prepared with a self climber. Everything you need to take up has to go up when you do or be hauled up on a rope. No going up and down the tree for things your forgot, and I can say from experience looking down and seeing the glove you just dropped is an "interesting" feeling. They make a lot more noise going up than climbing a set of steps that you put up beforehand, but the ARE safe and easy to use. Make sure the top and bottom are securely tied together, and don't forget a good harness.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:27 PM

Default Climbers

Hunting a new area is a big learning curve, start scouting now and maybe even bringing your climber and going up some trees and getting them deli bed and ready for fall. If you can find a saddle between two areas that have good potential, or a funnel where two areas of habitat meet you'll be on your way.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 PM

Thanks guys, new to bow hunting and the Camrose area. I have been scouting for a month now, have been lucky to get landowners permission. I have been wondering what type or style to buy, great advice and pointers.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM

I bought a Lone Wolf hand climber last season. It took some getting used to but I don't think I'd go back to a hang on stand. The only "easier" way I think is to set up ladder stands in a spot that is safe from theives and that you plan to hunt repeatedly. I say easier because they are easier every time AFTER the first time you set them up. Putting them initially is a bit of a pain compared to a climbing stand. My lone wolf is like 12lbs.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks for all the kind replies. I read somewhere your best sit is always your first sit, and as mentioned above good deer are taken on the first sit. I like the mobility of it as well. And also mentioned above some of the land I hunt gets heavily pressured come rifle season so a flexible tree stand is a must.

How do you guys hang em in the morning? Obviously Ill have to be in the bush rather early to find a good tree, do some trimming and hang the stand.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM

I like to scout the trees and prep them in the day so when i comeback and its still dark i don't fumble around as much.