Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Fisherpotch, get the hell over yourself, there's nothing more disgusting than an angler who brags about themself on a regular basis, this thread may have been better as a poll but i'm sure you still would have been sitting way up on your high horse. You seem like quite the spoiled little brat to me, having the dellusion that you're gods gift to fishing doesn't give you the right to put others down. This is definitely not a fish to easily identify, there's alot of crossbreeding happening now with all the breeds entering the alberta waters....
Any chance your name is Kyle???
I'm still here you poacher, care to post those POACHED chestermere lake pike you meathead.

p.s. fish in question is indeed a laker
Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Pierre

My understanding that when they cross the lakers with the brookies they become sterile so there is no reproduction...............on another note Pierre don't you hear Gem lake calling, i hear it calling me........hummmmm i think i better go there tommorow or the next day.....r u up to it bud
Technically, splake are able to reproduce but it is extremely rare and natural reproduction has only been document in a couple cases that I'm aware of and not in Alberta.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Banned

Fisherpotch,, you are one unique individual how in the heck a person gets so cool as you I have no idea but man I have never and I mean never in all the years I have been on this site and believe it or not it has been longer than you I have never seen anyone make such a spectacle and buffoon of themselves you are definitely on your own and its not because of your fish catching capabilities...

Young feller we have all seen the pics of your fish well,, most of them I would call bait or minnows what ever you prefer and granted you catch a few but trust me you are far from the hero you think you are. Listen pup you are amongst quite a few veteran fisher people to be flappin off at the gums the way you have been,, take it easy son you may just annoy the wrong guy.

As far as this fish goes,, its a laker trust me on this one and you know what if its not who cares I would like to see the evidence its not.. trust me I could fill 2 pages of laker photo's on here that would prove this fish a laker.. This coming from someone who you can believe has wiped more fish slime off my hands than you have walked by in a stream,,, PUP...
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM

Time for us to move on and get on with fishing and helping each other.
I will add some information on this fish after some research and another attempt to catch the same type of fish .
My thoughts were this is laker.. There were no signs of any color of Brookies.
The tail intrigues me as it's not a a square tail or a fork tail..only slightly forked and the mouth throws me off as with the light color of the mouth.
I am fascinated by ..

This is what Kyle McNeilly posted on the old flyfishalberta forum back in 2005
"One oddity of Splake pops is, the longer the pop reproduces, the more they look like lakers. Some theorize there are more allelles controlling colour/appearance in Lakers, so the Brookie characteristics sort of melt away over time." .

I have met Kyle and highly respect him so his comment us very interesting..
Again there are not suppose to be lakers in this body water so I have a mystery which I will research and when i get the answers I will let you know.
For obvious reasons I won't mention the name of the body of water , if it has one.
Again thanks for the input now lets all be friends and focus on fishing !

Last edited by McLeod; 07-29-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
For obvious reasons I won't mention the name of the body of water , if it has one.
What are the obvious reasons? Lots of guys share their fishing spots on here....just curious......
Old 07-28-2009, 11:37 PM

I really can't believe such a big deal was made over my comment of "no black put it back".... personally I did not see any black on the dorsal, and I know what the laws are regarding the lack of black thank you very much nor am I 12 needing to write an ID test or as you called it a competency test. Is there a possibility that it is a bull from a lake? Now before all you, with your rods so far up your corn hole come unglued on me for making such a ludacris comment, I know there is a lake that Barry Mitchell mentions in his book that has bulls in it and for obvious reasons he doesn't mention the name to protect it from the hordes. Now could a bull from deep water take on a darker appearance because of the depths it possiblly has been living at? This I ask you, good folks that know it all!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:29 AM

Default Please read fully I appreciate all feedback PLEASE and THANKS

I made my apologies with my 2nd last post. I let the situation get the better of me and I stated it admittedly. I admit this got off track and it’s my fault for the hijack.

I'd like to know what I stated incorrectly. That way I don't make the mistake again. Feel free to criticize as you please I'm trying to learn here. No one has tried to correct a single one of my points other than that they see dorsal markings. Other than that I need to know what I stated incorrectly so that I know for the future, wouldn't you agree? The point of forums and threads just as this should be education. So educate me I'm not sure what I stated incorrectly.

As far as I can see the only discrepancy is the dorsal markings. I just don't see them. For that I'll apologize too.

Everyone just says it's a laker without getting into detail. I made a buffoon of myself by defending my argument but at least I did it with detail and described where I based my argument.

No one made a comment on why the cartoon images BBJ posted had the bull trout dorsal being much more similar to the fish in question than the laker cartoon image. Am I the only one that see's it that way too? Because I swear that the dorsal of the cartoon bull is VERY similar to the fish in question, in color and shape!! Please take another look for yourself.

I'm not arguing the fact of if it’s a laker or not. I'll take all of your word for it. But for the sake of education I'd like to be convinced with info and detail not just an opinion.

I stated after first and second glance it looks like a laker long ago. But there has to be some room for argument or I wouldn't think this photo would have ever been posted. If it's so cut and dry why post it???!!! If no one else noticed the 8th post said "no black put it back" the guy got jumped on so fast of course he wouldn't defend his argument. I'm not that bashful, that’s what I have programmed into my head "no black put it back" so it's my first instinct to look at the dorsal. Sorry.

Post 34 fishman states in some lakes it's difficult to tell the Lakers form the bulls. Is this true?

Post 35 sys it looks like a dolly

Post 37 says it looks like a laker bull cross says he caught one at minny some years ago!

Post 44 makes reference to possibility that poster of photo is from minny area, also making reference to why the area hasn't been listed

In 53 and 55 the poster makes reference to not being able to be 100% without being present but supports that it is a laker and see's markings on dorsal in his opinion.

I beg of the users on this board that have made up there minds on me to re read my first post #51. PLEASE. There is no high and mighty there!! I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this. I say things like "I am no expert" "id never put a 100%" I make many references to the key points in ID such as the dorsal and the fork tail and attempt to provide detail for why I wasn't convinced that its a laker.

In post 52 I question why it is definitely not a bull. AND get no reply.

Post 54 I say I don't deny that it is a laker. And that I'm just not seeing the dorsal markings.

Here is where I get upset. For the record BBJ and I have known each other longer than either of us have been on the forum and for someone I considered a friend to make a comment such as "Thats so far from a bull trout that’s not even funny" and then "If you cant tell the difference I might suggest taking an outdoor education training course" ANYONE of you might find it offensive! And up to this point I feel I had been politically correct with my argument and my search for detail and a learning experience.

Then post 58. No signs of bull trout!! Please back me someone because it’s ridiculous for not one person to step in and say that the white marks on the fins are a bull trout marking. Not one person backed this point everyone just bashed. Earlier some people stated in there posts they saw some bull/laker cross possibilities and even dolly varden possibilities (very close to bull from my understanding) but why would they get involved in the debate when I'm getting two handed from all directions just for trying to have a logical debate. So for no one to back me on my point and everyone bash me without detail seems quite unfair and biased, I got frustrated and let it get the better of me. Again I'll apologize but please try to understand how this got the better of me.

This is where I went off on a tangent I'm afraid I cannot take back.

Post 61 I post photo's from a recent trip where I catch all three types of char and photograph markings as documentation. I made the mistake of making a verbal attack on BBJ but as stated b4 we have a history and I was highly offended by someone I took to be a friend insulting me on the World Wide Web.

Post 62 was rude and completely unnecessary. But so many people talk the talk, I just post the proof. At this point It's obvious how frustrated I am and I'm trying to defend my credibility, I'm not trying to be cocky I'm trying to once again provide reason for my argument and my confidence. But the main fact of the matter I want to get across now is that I'm sorry John for posting in this manner. Please try to understand how seriously I take fishing and I had been insulted in the very worst of ways, especially when I started my debate/argument as politically correct as I did in my original post.

This came from post 64 by BBJ "All I simply said was that the fella said if its no black put it back or something along them lines when in fact its , when its black put it back "
I'd like to know why he can type a mistake like that and I get no back up. Still waiting for someone to correct me on my details and info.........
Also brookies come into it cause they are another char, I knew this did you? As someone else stated the lack of worm markings would lead one to discredit any brookie possibilities. Typicaly if a person catches a fish that isn't listed for a body of water they try to document it and alert fish and game, let me guess you did neither.............

Post 66 I talk myself up in an attempt to boost credibility. Still waiting for a correction on any of the points I raised in any of my posts. Again I bring up the post about no bull markings. And why the lake name can't be provided! That’s withholding valuable info in a debate such as this. I don't understand why and many others also ponder the same thought, including the most credible person on this forum! I make reference to dorsal similarities in the cartoon bull and fish in question. I also post from the regs a very valid point......why is it they make reference to no fork on the brookie but they say nothing about a lack of a tail fork on the bull? It's a very valid point and provides support for my argument. Why no comments? I also make reference to the fact that dolly's and arctic char could come into the mix but I know nothing of there markings. To cap it off I apologize for my rant and try to explain myself, and I question why there are no others getting into detail and just skipping straight to a conclusion without at least looking at things from both sides the argument. Not one of my points gets argued, just the markings on the dorsal.

In 67 I post my confusion with what was post 65. I actually recall a thread before that got heated between two people on my friends list, one of them arguing that the other talks like he know everything yet has only provided proof for some small pike some small walleye and some guided cat fish. Yet claims so much more and most just eat it up what some see as obvious BS, sorry but this is where I was going with the spraying of BS all over the place. I've heard it from the mouths of people on his friends list too!!! I'm not the only one who sees it that way folks. So for me to get frustrated when said person suggests I take a fish ID course should be slightly more understandable when you know the WHOLE story. And it's not that far from a bull at all.

McLeod no need for you to apologize it’s MY fault that this got out of hand. Sorry that in my attempt to get my head wrapped around this that I have mislead this thread. Still wouldn't bother me to know where it was caught, from my understanding there are waters with dollys and arctic char in AB and I'd like to discredit those possibilities.

Fishfinder I'm still waiting for you to correct me on one sentence!!! What is that?? You have no clue of the story that’s what that is! I'd love for you to provide detail as to where I got silly! I'm just holding a debate by defending my side with detail. And I got peeved at someone and it was not necessary but there is a serious lack of detail from you for me to think you would provide any challenge. Correct me please, honestly I would appreciate it. We are all here to learn.

Steelhead I provided a point as to where BBJ was wrong, what say you now? Remember the part where I don’t deny that it's a laker?? At no point do I say that it's 100% a bull. I fail to see where I have been wrong other than my rant on BBJ and some other stupid comments. I'm waiting for a correction, please educate me. Please show me where I was wrong..........

It no point do I say I'm a god or that I have a high horse. But in my first post I say I am no expert! Maybe you should try reading the original detail and realize that it was two comments that lead to my frustrations. I am spoiled! I wont deny that I have it good but I have worked for that, educated with a good occupation a roof over my head, food to eat and some fishing gear. I've worked for it all other than what god gave me of course and for that I'm grateful. I will thank you for the part about the fish not being easily identifiable. Other than that your post was just insulting and quite a joke. What gives you the right to put others down I might ask? Never even caught one I remember that line! At least I appologize for my mistakes.

I'd like to know where the high opinion remarks come from. All I do is provide factoids about my self. Not my opinion, facts.

Once again I think it is an informative thread, and I went off on a tangent when I was upset. Any of you would have been upset too. Please I beg of you if there is any misleading info on this thread I'd like to be up to speed as to avoid making any mistakes in the future.

THE LAKE DOES NOT CONTAIN LAKERS! Now that’s a point that should be considered. Wouldn't you think?????? I KNOW I would.

Pierre I appreciate the PM thanks

As for the high and mighty pedestal thing. Then comments such as the slime off my hands thing, so cool, buffoon, they speak wonders of your own character considering I didn't make any insulting comments towards you. I know you have been here longer than I walleyes. The first post I made was on the old board about the pyra's and the poached sheep. I do believe you were one of the users posting in that thread. I also recall being on the same page as you on the "not in my back yard" thing so please don't think that we are that different in all aspects. Minnows and bait eh? That is just so far from the truth it's ridiculous. Your name is walleyes and I'd gladly have a post off at who has caught the most big walleye and the pics to prove it. I may just be a pup but I think I could give you a run. I don't post pics of small guys cuz we don't take pics of the small guys. Need I start a thread full of 26-30 inch walleye? I don't even take pictures anymore unless they break 23. I am not big on pike but I have my share of 3 footers and recently got a 40 incher on the fly rod. Ya a 40 incher pike on 6lb vanish tippet on a 6 wt rod. My first pike EVER on the fly. Caught and released! Now I am bragging! Damn proud of that fish. I have the pic check my FTR thread. Also 30 inch burbs, 14 inch perch, 48 inch geon.......your post was a direct attempt to insult me and like so many others instead of getting into details you just stated

Quote walleyes "As far as this fish goes,, its a laker trust me on this one and you know what if its not who cares I would like to see the evidence its not.. trust me I could fill 2 pages of laker photo's on here that would prove this fish a laker.. This coming from someone who you can believe has wiped more fish slime off my hands than you have walked by in a stream,,, PUP...

I'm afraid you provided zero evidence that it is a laker walleyes, you just got all hi and mighty because you have been here longer. I never called myself a hero I just legitimatly backed my side the debate. I crossed the line insulting john and I've admited that, and I certainly did NOT deny the amount of knowlege available through the many veterans on this site. Take it easy grampa (you called me son and pup please understand this is just my retaliation to YOUR initial insult so please don't think you are better than I) in your post you just stooped to the same low that I'm appologizing for in this very post. At no point did I have to say "trust me" I let the info I provide do the real talking and no one has corrected one statment. NOT yet atleast.

I don't want to start anything but so many of these posts were direct attacks meant to insult me. Which is fine I'm used to haters and I'll say "don't hate the playa hate the game" to that! I get spaded for my insults on someone whom insulted me first. I personaly believe that the argument I presented is a good one, at least mine had supporting details not just a subjective opinion. I provide legit reason for my questioning.

Sorry for the rant again. It is in my nature to defend myself. Please correct me on my mistakes so I can learn from them. It would be greatly appreciated.
But as stated I am still waiting to be corrected on any one thing that I have stated.

I've tried to be politicaly correct and with this post I think I have raised many valid points that support my argument and raise at least some doubt on the opposite side. I'm not saying it is not a laker, but I am saying that there is no proof that it is 100% a laker.

Once again BBJ I'm sorry for the out of line comment. But next time your SO sure that it is SO far from a bull trout please provide detail as to why you would think that because the cartoons didn't prove anything IMHO. And then go as far as to tell me to get learned up on the topic. I'd gladly put my knowlege against yours anyday!

I'm not being cocky! I'm confident because I know this guy and several of the people he fishes with. He is a sham IMHO, thats my opinion and I'm entitled to it. And unlike many here I've been backing my opinion with details. Considering bull trout and lakers are both char I find the "SO FAR" part very humorous. I provided details that support my argument. If your all so sure it is a laker why is it so many of you didn't? Most just said I've caught lots of lakers and thats a laker! Please understand how subjective it becomes when you provide an opinion with no supporting details. Or atleast make an attempt to disprove the points that I brought forward, thats part of how a debate works. Personaly I like a good debate.

Tight lines

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM

I'm still positive thats a 70 pound large mouth. Look at the markings on the dorsal fin.....
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM

holy crap, did anyone else quit reading that post half way through???lol
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 AM

yep
Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 AM

Default Lakers where they didn"t used to be

Just to throw another chunk of meat into the pot.

I just finished reading about Yellowstone Lake in Wyoming. It seems that biologists are very concerned about a population of lakers having become established in the lake where they don't belong. Initially it was speculated that the bucket brigade was responsible, but some have speculated that they could have arrived during the big fires of '88. It is thought that a bucket from a helicopter dipped into a nearby lake that does contain (stocked) lakers may have scooped up some fish as well. When the bucket was dumped on the flames it is possible that some fish could have ended up in a stream that feeds Yellowstone Lake.

Who knows for sure? Anyway it is possible for a species of fish to show up where you least expect it.

p.s. I vote Laker in the photo.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:32 AM

I'm so excited! I got called out for using a SCIENTIFIC NAME for a fish!

Yep - I indicated crosses too, which under this kind of scrutiny and a healthy dose of post-post research appears to have been an overly keen and likely uncessary step too far. Ident keys that I referred to didn't talk as much about fin coloration - and that fish has colour - hence my thinking of a char cross - but I digress. Mea culpa... just a laker.

RE: The photo in question - it's still no Bull. No square tail, markings on the dorsal, no black spots. Yep, it's a char, but definitely not a bull

As for the pictures from FisherPotch showing his bull trout catches - did we determine that these were actually bulls? I certainly got the impression that they were juvenile Brooks - thanks to the vermiculation on the back, coloration etc. The spotless fins are indeed a put off to the conclusion, but many juveniles don't have that coloration. In the video of a small creek bull I caught in june (5min 18sec in the video) I see a pretty good example of a bull [ http://vimeo.com/5516700 ] and those catches by FisherPotch (dorsal aside) just don't fit the mold.

I appreciate FP's willingness to take a beating, and still show face. That takes a little fortitude. Hopefully we can all get something out of this flamewar.

/G

Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 AM

what the fuk
that is twice i tried to reply to this thread and twice i had to log on again and twice i lost everything i wrote

mcleod, i am really sure i am familiar with the lake in question. lets have the name, so i can help make sense of this. there are some other imtrestings things that come to surface here as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 AM

Whew... now that I've finished digesting that monster post... See image for my reasons for NOT supporting the 'It's a Bull Trout' position:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishinquestion.jpg (123.5 KB, 103 views)

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

nice work with the photo scratch. Very valid point with the spotts on the head.
I've never heard that means of id but after looking into it, it appears to hold true. But on the denial of my bull not being a bull trout I protest strongly. Not a mark on that dorsal.

I'm interested in what trout pirate has been trying to say.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Also I've never seen reference to bulls having a square tale. In the online regs the mention that brookies do not have a deeply forked tail, yet they say nothing of a square tail for bull trout. And correct me if I'm wrong wouldn't a bulls tail make a fork when pinched a little?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Default Not My Forum..............

He said she said. You called me this so Im calling you that ??? I am the first guy to post about the great people on here , and the wealth of knowledge ready to be shared. Then I see threads like this one that turn into childish rants. We are all responsible adults and should start acting like it.

After reading this crap on here I am saying for the first time I am ashamed of this forum and the way it is being represented by immature childish bull such as this thread had become. I have shared information and stories with most of you and you are great people please start acting as such..............

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
There were no signs of any color of Brookies.

!
I beg to differ. The red colouring on the fins indicate char/brookie.
I bet i know the area this fish is from. I do have a picture of one recently i caught, but i havent developed the film yet. Ill try to get the pic up soon.

I think it is a laker and crossbred with char/brookie thoough it gene history.

Last edited by Map Maker; 07-29-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: brain not in gear
Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=Walleyes;357665]Fisherpotch,, you are one unique individual how in the heck a person gets so cool as you I have no idea but man I have never and I mean never in all the years I have been on this site and believe it or not it has been longer than you I have never seen anyone make such a spectacle and buffoon of themselves you are definitely on your own and its not because of your fish catching capabilities...

Young feller we have all seen the pics of your fish well,, most of them I would call bait or minnows what ever you prefer and granted you catch a few but trust me you are far from the hero you think you are. Listen pup you are amongst quite a few veteran fisher people to be flappin off at the gums the way you have been,, take it easy son you may just annoy the wrong guy.

As far as this fish goes,, its a laker trust me on this one and you know what if its not who cares I would like to see the evidence its not.. trust me I could fill 2 pages of laker photo's on here that would prove this fish a laker.. This coming from someone who you can believe has wiped more fish slime off my hands than you have walked by in a stream,,, PUP...[/QUOT

Walleye...Very well put....fisherpotch...let me know what you think when you have fished for thirty years.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
He said she said. You called me this so Im calling you that ??? I am the first guy to post about the great people on here , and the wealth of knowledge ready to be shared. Then I see threads like this one that turn into childish rants. We are all responsible adults and should start acting like it.

After reading this crap on here I am saying for the first time I am ashamed of this forum and the way it is being represented by immature childish bull such as this thread had become. I have shared information and stories with most of you and you are great people please start acting as such..............
Well said.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM

Don't be ashamed at the forum.!! Be ashamed of fisher potch for defending himself on the world wide web! For not laying down and bending over let's condone him. Hes the bad guy! Like it or not I present a good case if you can read. Still no info falsified. Sure it ain't a bull, but did I ever say it's a bull 100% it's frustrating when manny ppl skip straight to knocking me rather than comment on the fish. Especially when there are statments like "no bull markings" "black put it back". Nobody commented on that, just about everyone that posted skipped over false statements to make direct attempts to bash me for defending myself. I appologized for my mistakes not one other person did for there rude comments.

Still kinda waiting to see how hard trout pirate is going or not going to bash me.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Still trying to figure out where u caught the Laker on the trunk road lol
Here's my contribution
Laker - thought I'd thro my pal into the mix lol
Small Bull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laker.JPG (122.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg RED DEER BULL.jpg (168.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Bigr fish if your refering to me. the lakers I've caught have been from rock lake by hinton. Sorry for confusion caused by use of FTR.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:45 PM

No apologies needed - I forgot about good ol Rock lake lol
Nice laker for that lake tho.I used to fish up that way myself but now days we just head up to Cold lake.You might get a laugh out of this pic.Early June on Cold lake....man it was frosty lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring 2009 034.jpg (159.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM

Fisherpotch good on you for standing up for yourself, I think after checking my Alberta fish Id book that it is a Lake trout or hybrid of one but I can see where your debating was coming from.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 PM

That is a laker & sorry FP but there are most definately markings on that dorsal, even my wife noticed them when I asked her to look at the picture & she doesn't usually notice much when it comes to fish. Try this, cover up the whole picture except for the head. That is definately the head of a laker!. Worst case scenario is a Laker/bull cross & there's not a CO alive that would force you to go to court to prove that fish was a pure strain bull trout so I wouldn't worry about keeping one or two if you were inclined (provided it's legal size & quantity for the region).
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Worst case scenario is a Laker/bull cross
Is there any evidence that bull trout and lake trout actually hybridize in the wild? I know there is for bulls and brookies but I've never seen any for lakers and bulls.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:17 PM

FP: I didn't assert that your two pic's tagged as Bull weren't - but I did assert that in my limited experience with them - your photos aren't consistent with Bulls, but Brook trout with little visible marking on the dorsal. I was merely asking if they struck anyone elas as such.

Juvenile trout and those in certain conditions have much less pigment, and can appear devoid of markings. No C/O in his or her right mind would rely on only ONE characteristic to identify a salmonid. With a bull you'll have pale pink spots on a juvenile that disappear as they age for example... same fish over 3 years will look quite different but the square tail, pale spots, translucent fin, lack of vermiculated "wormlike" markings is a set of tell-tale identification items.

As for whether or not Bulls and Lakers could breed? Hell - who knows.

Chars routinely cross with trout - Brook/Brown for example.
Chars of different species can breed, as can trout with trout. Birds and the bees say - it's just sperm and an egg. For the most part spawning seasons and behaviour tend to keep them apart.

Identification Class notwithstanding, there has been some heady mudslingin going on in this thread. Let's try to make it a little more civil folks. We represent the best of Alberta's outdoorsmen - or at least the nerdy ones.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I havnt found much on bull laker crosses but getting studied up on arctic char and dollys. The lack of pale spots on the bulls head verses spots on a lakers head is an extremely valid point. Funny how we made to four pages b4 I caught that detail. After more searching I've found documentation that makes reference to a square tail for the bulls but interestingly enough Arctic Char have a forked tail! Well atleast I find it interesting. Does anyone know about dorsal markings on arctic char? Also in my photos I've got two adolecent char from the same hole. Both similar in size, I took photos of the dorsals for documentation purposes. The one has vivid spots the other has no markings. I felt this suitable means for identifying them as two differnt species. Does any one else think that they are both brookies? I know I still think the one with no markings on the dorsal is a bull. Hell there ain't supposed to be brooks where I caught it but they are quite nomadic.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:20 AM

Default fertile

Kyle McNeilly also wrote this on the old flyfishalberta forum back in 2005

“and BTW, ALL char X char hybrids are fertile, as are all Western trout X Western Trout crosses - RB X CT, CT X Golden, RB X Apache, whatever, all of ‘em are fertile – that’s why we have hybridization problems everywhere. It’s only the Char X trout crosses that are mules, as in the tiger trout – Brookie X Brown for example” – end quote