Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Default Flashers versus Camera's

Wondering what the opinions are as far as which is better, the sonars or camera's.
Was thinking an underwater camera might have more entertanment value for the kids, but Dad want's something that effective too!
Ken
Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Flasher/Camera

Someone once told me this way. The flasher will help you find the fish and the depths and the camera is just for entertainment. I agree. I don't have a flasher but a fishfinder mounted as well as camera in the shack. The camera is definitely a fun item and great for watching the fish sniff and steal and bite your bait. Does it help us catch more fish? Probably not. We probably lose more because we tend to get caught up watching the bite instead of the feel of them on the line. It does make for a fun time when moby pike looks into the camera in the eye and wants it for lunch.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:16 PM

Ive had a camera longer than a flasher but I wish it was the other way around. Flasher has made my catch rates soar. Seems like the hog perch in my lake are afraid of it for one thing but since it is a slight hassle to move around, you dont move as much so you tend to wait for something to nose onto the screen. With a flasher you pull the ducer out of the water, walk over to a new hole, plop it in and your fishin again. You can eliminate dead water too by going from hole to hole looking for fish already down there instead of bringing them in. You can use it at night too for lings and eyes (tons of fun). The camera is an entertainment tool and the flasher is a fishing tool. Each has their own application strengths but the flashers are more numerous than the cameras. In my opinion flasher > camera. You will catch more fish with a flasher than you would with a camera. Ya i said it lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:10 PM

Awesome, thanx for the input!
My kids are all under 7 years old so they think the video's on aqua view's website are really neat.
I think I'll go with the flasher this winter and probably a camera for next. By next year the kids will all be old enough to spend more time on the ice so the camera can wait
Thanx again.