Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Hand Auger Blades - Can I sharpen myself?

Not much of an ice fisher but was thinking of taking the family snowshoeing and ice fishing to Spray this weekend if the wind behaves.

I have a hand auger and was wondering if I'm really careful, is it possible to sharpen the blades with my bench grinder or will I do more harm than good? The auger isn't dull, but isn't sharp either.

Or, any other suggestions for DIY sharpening?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 PM

I my self wouldn't use a grinder i would use ether a good file or a stone. I always use a file on my power auger i find the cutting edge has to be just right or they won't cut good.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM

strikemaster puts out a sharpener made for doing all smooth style auger blades. the fishing hole handles them for less than ten bucks. i'd go that route.

http://strikemaster.com/store/icefis...sharpener.html

Dace
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
strikemaster puts out a sharpener made for doing all smooth style auger blades. the fishing hole handles them for less than ten bucks. i'd go that route.

http://strikemaster.com/store/icefis...sharpener.html

Dace
X2 I bought one a couple years ago and it works great, you need the proper angle or you may as well use the auger to beat a hole in the ice.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Thanks guys. Point taken! I'm in cowtown tomorrow for work so I may just have to saunter over to the FH. The only problem with going into that store is it's never just $10
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM

i think new blades are only around 30 bucks that's another option
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM

Canadian Tire has em for $25.99 for 8" replacement blades.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM

Go with new blades if it fits in the budget. You won't regret it when your drilling multiple holes. The faster your fishing the happier the kids will be, plus your shoulder and arms.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
X2 I bought one a couple years ago and it works great, you need the proper angle or you may as well use the auger to beat a hole in the ice.
HAHAHA. I just pictured you in my head whaling a hand auger against the ice trying to make a hole. Hows the ice at lake X?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Key on a hand auger blade is that there has to be a "BURR" on the ice side so that it catches the ice. In other words, you sharpen from the top side only. You can use a sharpening stone with oil, or a very light touch on an angle grinder with a fine stone. you will need a spare set anyway, so buy a new set and sharpen the old. Keep the old set taped up on the cutting edge so you don't do any damage with the blades flopping around in your tackle box. No fun reaching in and rummaging around and getting a surprise the hard way.

Drewski
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
HAHAHA. I just pictured you in my head whaling a hand auger against the ice trying to make a hole. Hows the ice at lake X?
It's about Y inches but not everywhere

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM

To all anglers that have augers just take your blades to anyone who does sharpen ice skates and get them sharpened there cost 5-10 bucks if that sometimes they throw in for free if you get skates sharpened there

Food for Thought
David
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
To all anglers that have augers just take your blades to anyone who does sharpen ice skates and get them sharpened there cost 5-10 bucks if that sometimes they throw in for free if you get skates sharpened there

Food for Thought
David

David the question asked by the OP and the title of the thread is "Hand Auger Blades - Can I sharpen myself?" i take our skates to the same guys every couple of weeks. it's out of my way, but they do the best job. i would never ask or consider them as "skate guys" to do auger blades. they're trained to grind a hollow on a skate blade, not experiment on auger blades with their equipment. granted, maybe some skate shops would do it. how good, i dunno. other commercial sharpening shops will and do sharpen auger blades depending on the style, and do a fine job. then again, i've been turned away by these shops as well. it all depends on the blade you bring in and the equipment in their shop. but that's been discussed in other threads. Spidey is interested in doing it himself.

Dace
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
David the question asked by the OP and the title of the thread is "Hand Auger Blades - Can I sharpen myself?" i take our skates to the same guys every couple of weeks. it's out of my way, but they do the best job. i would never ask or consider them as "skate guys" to do auger blades. they're trained to grind a hollow on a skate blade, not experiment on auger blades with their equipment. granted, maybe some skate shops would do it. how good, i dunno. other commercial sharpening shops will and do sharpen auger blades depending on the style, and do a fine job. then again, i've been turned away by these shops as well. it all depends on the blade you bring in and the equipment in their shop. but that's been discussed in other threads. Spidey is interested in doing it himself.

Dace
Thanks for your opinion Dace i was giving mine as i have taken mine to the local skate sharpner for 30 years and because others will read these post i gave my opinion.. i also have tryed to sharpen ice auger blades and have ruined a few that were brought back to life by the sharpner.. and i do not accept the bait .

Ice Fishing North American World Record Holder Northern Pike 1985 to 2006
David Robson
Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 AM

No reason a skate sharpening outfit couldn't sharpen your auger blades if they have the jig set up for it. If you are in Calgary go to the best. Bowness Saw Sharpening Service in Bowness. 15 bucks for my curved strike-master blades and he coats the edges in wax. My blades are 45 bucks plus tax for a new set. That said I have heard good things about the Jiffy sharpener which has a set angle. Often times it's just the edge that needs to be reset for a blade to cut like butter. You could cut your arm off with some blades that wouldn't drill a hole if your life depended on it. The edge is everything.

Last edited by Mudslide; 01-12-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Tip:

If your auger is going dull while out drilling holes and you have no files or stones nearby....

you can take your pocket knife and run the knife blade down the topside of the auger blade. Your knife blade should be in a position like a scraper. Like you were trying to scrape off the edge. One or two strokes will sharpen the auger enough for a few more holes.