Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 02:51 PM

Biera in Edmonton, nice place, great service and the food was incredibly good. Off the beaten path. Couple blocks south of Whyte at the East end just before the ravine.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:59 PM

Kind of surprised so many guys are posting one restaurant, maybe two. I was hoping for some extensive lists so I have some new places to check out. Tell you how hard it is to find good eats that are consistent.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:12 PM

Dean, some of us live in places where there are virtually no decent restaurants, so we have to post from the odd time we get to the big city. Sadly.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-16-2022, 03:31 PM

Lots of turnover in Edmonton the last few years but here are a few favs:

- Bodega Highlands (Same as Sabor but small/shareable)
- La Petite Iza
- Upper Crust (light cafe/lunch)
- Sabor
- Sorrentinos Little Italy
- Biera
- Fox Burger
- Woodshed burger
- Tokyo noodle shop (for sushi)
- Thanh Thanh (Vietnamese take-out)
- Smokey Bear
- The Marc
Old 05-16-2022, 03:33 PM

Default One of the best fir hungry people

Lunchbox diner.
14413-115ave.
Not the nicest place,but if you are hungry for tasty big breakfast or lunch I recommend. Home cooked meals. Excellent taste,big size meal and tbe price really good.
Schnitzel much better than Barb&Ernie german restaurant. You will be surprised , $11.50 for schnitzel.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:42 PM

If you fellas are looking for schnitzel then try the Bauernschmaus on 99st. Been around forever with classic Austrian cuisine.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:45 PM

Some local favs here in EDM:

Thanh Thanh
Koutouki on 124th (although it has changed hands but was still good)
Tau Bay
Haps (for breakfast)
Dadeo

I’m also partial to Coliseum Steak & Pizza……..
Old 05-16-2022, 11:02 PM

Don’t forget in Edmonton:
Bistro Praha
Sofra
Norman’s
La petit Iza
Rge rd
These are pretty high end places so be prepared to pay…. Except for the Bistro Praha, they are pretty reasonable and great food!
Old 05-16-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Dean, some of us live in places where there are virtually no decent restaurants, so we have to post from the odd time we get to the big city. Sadly.
Like GP haha

Im here most of the time for work and there is no good restaurants that are worth it.

If anyone is travelling through Dawson Creek or FSJ, stop in at Spicy Fusion. By far the best Indian food I have ever had. Even an Indian guy at work said its really good. Butter chicken is phenomenal.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:09 AM

I rarely dine out. One place I did try and enjoyed was just north of Whyte ave and Calgary Trail in Edmonton. A place called "Meat". Excellent smoked brisket, pulled pork, smoked chicken and yummy baked beans.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-17-2022, 07:35 AM

Longview Steakhouse, Longview Alberta. Be prepared to wait 3 to 4 months for a reservation on a weekend. Absolutely fantastic.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:43 AM

Fusion Sushi chain in Calgary - best reasonably-priced sushi in the city

Country Cousins Kitchen in Linden - best pies and the borscht is amazing!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 05-17-2022, 07:46 AM

Tubby Dog (currently on sabbatical) will re-open somewhere soon in Calgary. I love the vibe of this place; it's just a cool place to hang out and the dogs are great! I recommend the A-bomb.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 05-17-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Go to Spruce Grove and visit “Something Else” my favourite place to eat always great food.
Was in Spruce Grove today so took your advice and had lunch here. Two steak sandwiches, both ordered medium rare. Both steaks about 5 ounces each, were pretty unevenly cut, and I asked, they do cut their own. Part of steak cooked properly, thinner part over done. Even for Sirloin, this was not tender meat by any stretch, $21.00 a plate. Waitress knocked over a full water glass on my buddy, she apologised but not even a free beer or offer of dessert to make up for completely soaking him. Not sure when you ate there last and ours was a one time experience but just on food quality alone, not thinking this one is going on my regular visits list, even though they offer free baths to diners.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I moved out of GP in 2004. Had lived there off and on 4 times by then. There were some really great restaurants, Golden Star, The Dragon Palace, Habberman's Steak House, The Pepper Pot, Pizza joint on the north side of the west bound one way just down from the old park that is now a parking lot, the Dinning room at the GP Inn for top class high end food and dinning experience and a few more. Sad to hear that is all gone now. Also, just heard, that Kenny Wong sold out the Star after 50 years, to the Guy that owns Wally's Kitchen. Not going to be the same after that.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Rainbow Restaurant in Redwater was very good 30 yrs ago. Kind of east.
Was in Redwater getting the tires swapped over on my wife's Jeep. Remebered this post so had lunch there yesterday. Under new ownership for about 15 months, open at 11.30 and no longer do breakfast but the food is still great. Very friendly service.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:03 PM

Bruce Hotel. They have bus and limo loads of people from the Big City come out on weekends for steak nights
Old 05-20-2022, 04:21 PM

Ceasers Steak House and Lounge 4th Ave Calgary.
Some think the decor is so outdated it's just not a cool place.
Like it myself and the steaks are great.
Old 05-20-2022, 04:37 PM

I agree about Ceasars. I love the classic old style steak house decor. Food is great, service is impeccable. Doesnt get much better, and way better pricing than the Keg or Ruth Chris.

Other recommended places
Normans not cheap but not outrageous either. Great breakfasts, Classically done meat and potatoes, top notch service, a truly great dining experience, well worth doing.

Bistro Praha is a little tough to get to but the food has been fantastic for 30 years. Very good service and quite reasonably priced.

Range road is in my opinion the single most over rated restaurant in Alberta. Have been there quite a few times as customers often wanted to try it. The service is okay but not what I would call fantastic. Even on an expense account I find the prices here down right offensive. Paying ball park 200-300 bucks a head for supper and drinks, and getting small portions of rather average food is not my idea of a place I want to go back to. Their fish is much better than their Bison and their steaks are down right pathetic. Small, tough and not great flavour.

It is not a place I choose to go if it is my wife and I or friends. People seem to think that when they pay large bucks the food must be fantastic, and the small portions is a feature of high class dinning. In my books The Riverbank Restaurant in St Albert or Normands are far better choices for high end dinning.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-20-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Was in Spruce Grove today so took your advice and had lunch here. Two steak sandwiches, both ordered medium rare. Both steaks about 5 ounces each, were pretty unevenly cut, and I asked, they do cut their own. Part of steak cooked properly, thinner part over done. Even for Sirloin, this was not tender meat by any stretch, $21.00 a plate. Waitress knocked over a full water glass on my buddy, she apologised but not even a free beer or offer of dessert to make up for completely soaking him. Not sure when you ate there last and ours was a one time experience but just on food quality alone, not thinking this one is going on my regular visits list, even though they offer free baths to diners.

I have never ordered the steak, usually for me it’s Lamb or pasta.. I have yet to be disappointed but , that’s me. What can I say I withdraw my recommendation.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I have never ordered the steak, usually for me it’s Lamb or pasta.. I have yet to be disappointed but , that’s me. What can I say I withdraw my recommendation.
No need to withdraw the recommendation. Quite a few of the restaurants I go back to regularly is for one to three specific dishes. Even great restaurants often have a few specialties that they excell at. Memphis Blues BBQ on 127 st makes fantastic smoked wings and absolutely great brisket. We eat there at least every couple of weeks. Their pulled d pork is not impressive at all and their ribs are at best average. Most of their side dishes, except the fries and cornbread, are not good at all, beans and slaw are terrible. Makes me think a guy should add the favourite dish along with the restaurant.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:38 PM

We tried Homefire Grill (182 St and 100 Ave) for lunch today before going to Reid's fly shop. She really liked the bison burger while I had the mussels and 1/3 of her burger. Next time I will try their bison stew.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:51 PM

As mentioned by Dean2… tried Basha Shawarma and Donair at their 109st and Jasper location.

If you like donairs and want a good choice of add-ons this is a really good option.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:06 PM

Default Favourite restaurants

I know one thing, don’t ever eat at the Tasty Mill chinese place in Coronation. Stopped there today and it was disgusting!
Old 05-21-2022, 08:48 PM

Default Excellent

Cafe Celeste Bistro,Seafood Italian dishes,590 Baseline Rd #280,Sh Park AB
Excel to food,great service.

Last edited by birdseye; 05-21-2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I know one thing, don’t ever eat at the Tasty Mill chinese place in Coronation. Stopped there today and it was disgusting!
I haven’t tried that one but 20 years ago the shangri-la in castor was awesome. Prob the best Chinese I’ve ever eaten anywhere.

The blue dragon in red deer is very good.

The Fairmont Banff springs is also exceptional.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:38 AM

Alberta outdoors version of you gotta eat here, or dinners,drive ins or dives. Dean you are the host, I love it.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post

Name changed to Colon Blasters?
Old 05-22-2022, 12:13 PM

Anyone know where to get good Lasagna,very few people know how to make it in my opinion there used to be a greek guy on 99 street in Edmonton years ago who made the best and also a resturaunt in Grand Cache,ive tried everywhere ive ever gone mostly its just average,im a picky eater and usually get steak and sometimes cod fish.You would think that Alberta being a cattle country would have good steak everywhere but its not true.Ilike mine medium rare and never eat sirloin,i guess ill have to start driving farther distances.. I heard from a friend that they have great steaks at the Bruce Hotel.Great thread Dean.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:25 PM

Default Favourite restuarants

Bruce hotel puts on a great meal. All home cooked. Have to book in advance though.