Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Tacos Mexico on 17th Ave (Marlborough area) in Calgary has the best authentic Mexican food I've ever eaten in Canada.

Try the El Trio; it's awesome and the portions are great!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 06-10-2022, 07:19 PM

Stopped at a place called Kimchi House this afternoon in Hinton. The food was excellent, reasonably priced and good service. Was well worth the stop & recommend it as a place to try.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Anyone know where to get good Lasagna,very few people know how to make it in my opinion there used to be a greek guy on 99 street in Edmonton years ago who made the best and also a resturaunt in Grand Cache,ive tried everywhere ive ever gone mostly its just average,im a picky eater and usually get steak and sometimes cod fish.You would think that Alberta being a cattle country would have good steak everywhere but its not true.Ilike mine medium rare and never eat sirloin,i guess ill have to start driving farther distances.. I heard from a friend that they have great steaks at the Bruce Hotel.Great thread Dean.
If u want great baked lasagna try Francos on 50 St or Collesium and Gieseppies. There are actually a few very y good options. Sorrentos makes great authentic Italian lasagna but not cheap.

Have found a couple of new restaurants that were very good. Will be interesting to see if they stay good. Still love Atlantic kitchen in st albert and the ukranian supper place just up the street. Luisas Italian St Albert still great, was there last week, and Nellos still excellent, there this week. Riverside Bistro is also still wonderful, was there about a week and a half ago.

Elegant court on Manning freeway and Little Bee on 127 St just north of 137 ave, for chinese food.

Now looking for a top notch Indian Food place in North Edmonton.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Now looking for a top notch Indian Food place in North Edmonton.
Don't know about Northside, but the Gurkha on gateway just north of the derrik motel is some of the best I have had.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Anyone know where to get good Lasagna,very few people know how to make it in my opinion there used to be a greek guy on 99 street in Edmonton years ago who made the best and also a resturaunt in Grand Cache,ive tried everywhere ive ever gone mostly its just average,im a picky eater and usually get steak and sometimes cod fish.You would think that Alberta being a cattle country would have good steak everywhere but its not true.Ilike mine medium rare and never eat sirloin,i guess ill have to start driving farther distances.. I heard from a friend that they have great steaks at the Bruce Hotel.Great thread Dean.

I’d say the aforementioned Franco’s on 50th and Hermitage Rd would fit the bill for lasagna. I only ate there twice, but thought it was great.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Yiannis Taverna on Whyte Ave. Amazing Greek food.
Twisted Canuck recently took MorinJ and myself to Yianni’s for lunch. The lamb chops were as good as I’ve ever had. Simply delicious. The Dolmades were also wonderful.
Old 06-11-2022, 07:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Dicks fish and chips Campbell River

And found a new one in elk point called wally’s
If you go through elk point stop in and get a burger.....best burger ever.....period!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-11-2022, 07:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Came across this place while out fishing and exploring.....

On the beautiful beachfront of Half Moon Bay in North Akumal is a one-of-a-kind restaurant and bar: La Buena Vida - The Good Life. La Buena Vida always has a festive atmosphere with great music, cold beer, scenic ocean views, and good fresh food. Meals are served on the beach under shady palapas with a casual atmosphere and an appetizing menu, ranging from fresh ceviche to tasty hamburgers.

Burger, beer and a hammock after a long day fishing....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-11-2022, 10:04 AM

I went to Yokozuna on 106 st and 41 ave last night. I hadn't been there for quite a while. I don't know why I waited so long, as their sushi was absolutely delicious. My wife had one of the bento boxes and it was really good as well. Great service too.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:15 PM

Dallas Pizza just up from the Riverside Golf Course. Been making good food since I went to the high school just down the street and that's 30 yrs ago.

My friends are raving about the Blue Truck BBQ, part of Princess Auto on the west end. They say it is quite the place for meat eaters. I have yet to get there and try it.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:26 PM

Not local but one of the top meals of my life was at the Hester Creek Winery by Oliver BC. Not that expensive for the quality either. Easily the best value I have ever had. Believe for the wife and I bill came to $80 or something and she said the same about her meal.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Dallas Pizza just up from the Riverside Golf Course. Been making good food since I went to the high school just down the street and that's 30 yrs ago.

My friends are raving about the Blue Truck BBQ, part of Princess Auto on the west end. They say it is quite the place for meat eaters. I have yet to get there and try it.
Have to try that out, I love great BBQ. This thread is working out fantastic, have found a whole bunch of new places to try out. Keep adding guys, can never have too many great places to eat, and variety sure helps.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:57 PM

Leto's and Toller's Bistro in Lacombe are good.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone052 View Post
Tacos Mexico on 17th Ave (Marlborough area) in Calgary has the best authentic Mexican food I've ever eaten in Canada.

Try the El Trio; it's awesome and the portions are great!
Edit - It's on Memorial Dr, not 17th Ave.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 06-12-2022, 04:32 PM

Not in any particular order:

Modern Steak- Calgary

The Himalayan - Calgary

Vij's Restaurant- Vancouver (Forgive him for cooking on Trudeau's boondoggle to India)

Post Hotel- Lake Louise (Haven't been there since the Schwartz Brothers sold)

Nautical Nellies- Vancouver
Old 06-12-2022, 10:39 PM

We stopped in at Ken's in Nanton last week.
The chinese food was very good, and I thought quite affordable.
I very pleasantly surprised, will go back.

My Greek Plate in Cochrane is a hidden little gem, absolutely excellent food and I would say still priced reasonable compared to a few restaurants I've been in lately.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:44 AM

So was over by Princess Auto yesterday and decided to try out Blue Truck BBQ on 111 Ave and 163 St yesterday

We ordered the 4 ounces taster of Brisket, fries and onion rings. The good part, the Brisket is moist, good smoke flavour, not a lot of bark, but great flavour over all. Would definitely order it again. Their shoestring fries and the onion rings are also both very good. This was all we ordered as I basically wanted to try out the food and we were headed out for supper elsewhere later.

From what we saw served at the other tables, ribs were massively over cooked, and so dry they were having a hard time eating them. The fellow next to us had to use a knife to cut the meat off the bone. The pulled pork was not quite as dry but it was no treat either from what he said when I asked him. There were only 4 tables occupied, plus ours, and three of them complained about the ribs and pork when they were paying their bills, they hadn't seen their waitress after the food was dropped off either. In addition, one also complained about the Coleslaw. Servers response was, we have been getting a lot of complaints, would you like a free desert. Personally, I would have sent the ribs and pulled pork back, I would not have eaten what they were served.

Service was really poor, as in zero tip poor. There were 4 girls working the front, 4 occupied tables. No one greets you when you arrive, no sign saying whether to seat yourself or wait. We sat down, took an easy 10 minutes to get menus. Food came out in reasonable time but once she dropped the food off never saw her again. They don't ask how the food is, and I am thinking that is based on the large number of complaints about the Ribs and pork, they really don't want to know.

With one 16 ounce draft beer, a ginger ale, the 4 ounces of brisket, $6, a good size order of fires, $6, and a good size order of rings, $9, total bill was 30 bucks. For some reason they applied a 10% discount to the food items, no indication why. Like so many restaurants, they have one or two really good dishes and if you stick to ordering those you will enjoy the meal.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:11 AM

My all time favorite for food, ambience and service is still the Patricia Hotel!
Limited menu but well worth it, and breakfast in the morning is a special and personal experience .
If you have never been there, you may just get your morning g coffee served to you by one of the locals tesidents!
Friendliest place you will ever have breakfast in!
Cat
Old 06-13-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
So was over by Princess Auto yesterday and decided to try out Blue Truck BBQ on 111 Ave and 163 St yesterday

We ordered the 4 ounces taster of Brisket, fries and onion rings. The good part, the Brisket is moist, good smoke flavour, not a lot of bark, but great flavour over all. Would definitely order it again. Their shoestring fries and the onion rings are also both very good. This was all we ordered as I basically wanted to try out the food and we were headed out for supper elsewhere later.

From what we saw served at the other tables, ribs were massively over cooked, and so dry they were having a hard time eating them. The fellow next to us had to use a knife to cut the meat off the bone. The pulled pork was not quite as dry but it was no treat either from what he said when I asked him. There were only 4 tables occupied, plus ours, and three of them complained about the ribs and pork when they were paying their bills, they hadn't seen their waitress after the food was dropped off either. In addition, one also complained about the Coleslaw. Servers response was, we have been getting a lot of complaints, would you like a free desert. Personally, I would have sent the ribs and pulled pork back, I would not have eaten what they were served.

Service was really poor, as in zero tip poor. There were 4 girls working the front, 4 occupied tables. No one greets you when you arrive, no sign saying whether to seat yourself or wait. We sat down, took an easy 10 minutes to get menus. Food came out in reasonable time but once she dropped the food off never saw her again. They don't ask how the food is, and I am thinking that is based on the large number of complaints about the Ribs and pork, they really don't want to know.

With one 16 ounce draft beer, a ginger ale, the 4 ounces of brisket, $6, a good size order of fires, $6, and a good size order of rings, $9, total bill was 30 bucks. For some reason they applied a 10% discount to the food items, no indication why. Like so many restaurants, they have one or two really good dishes and if you stick to ordering those you will enjoy the meal.
Hah! We had totally opposite experiences there. But to be honest, we have been to this place last time probably 6 months ago. Ordered pretty much everything since there were 8 of us. Food was good, couldn’t complain at all and service was a ok. Maybe they have a different chef now….
Old 06-13-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My all time favorite for food, ambience and service is still the Patricia Hotel!
Limited menu but well worth it, and breakfast in the morning is a special and personal experience .
If you have never been there, you may just get your morning g coffee served to you by one of the locals tesidents!
Friendliest place you will ever have breakfast in!
Cat
Definitely agree it is a super place to go and great people. When we are out there pheasant hunting it is a MUST to stop in!!
Old 06-14-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Bruce hotel puts on a great meal. All home cooked. Have to book in advance though.
Been there a few times. Their large shrimp and buffet dishes are great. Their steaks require more marbling and i had to take mine home after eating 33 shrimp. Book way ahead.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Other recommended places
Normans not cheap but not outrageous either. Great breakfasts, Classically done meat and potatoes, top notch service, a truly great dining experience, well worth doing.

small portions is a feature of high class dinning. In my books The Riverbank Restaurant in St Albert or Normands are far better choices for high end dinning.
Been to both and also recommend. Just wish Normands had the view and parking space that Riverbank has.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:51 AM

Default Fresh Vine

the Fresh Vine in Edson is excellent
Old 06-18-2022, 11:40 AM

Great pie at Miners' Cafe in Nordegg
Old 06-18-2022, 11:59 AM

This is a gold thread, thx for keeping it alive all.. I was going to go to the Blue Truck BBQ after my next PA
visit, after Dean's well put input above post, have zilch interest in doing it now as over cooked ribs are not
at 'all' a thing I want to gamble with.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:24 PM

Sunset Grill St Albert on St Albert Trail

Tried the place for the first time today. Had one Canadian Omellette, 17 bucks, one standard 3 egg breakfast with, 4 thick slices of bacon, hash browns and toast 13.49 and coffee at 3 bucks each. The food was excellent, the best restaurant breakfast in a very long while by a long shot. Lots of gluetin and Keto friendly choices. Food is all organic, cooked fresh to order, nothing packaged. Good prices for large servings.

Service was exemplary, and I dont say that very often. We will definitely be going back here regularly. They are very busy, only small niggle is the tables are pretty close together. Outside of that probably one of the best overall standard type restaurant experiences in the last couple of years.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-18-2022 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:05 PM

Default Favourite restaurants

Heisler bar for burgers. Better be hungry when you take one of those on!
Old 06-18-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Heisler bar for burgers. Better be hungry when you take one of those on!
Man I ❤️ Big Willy’s!

Haha my rec hockey team has spent time in there we have lots of fun with the name and the food is awesome. Great wings too one of the best small town bars out there for atmosphere and food. She would leave the kitchen open for us after normal hours for the team if we called ahead.

Heisler butcher shop is famous for their jerky too. Great little town
Old 06-18-2022, 03:40 PM

Haven't been to Carvers for a long time, but it was damn good in the day. Not sure if still open

Been to Ditkas the odd time in Pittsburg (one in Chicago as well). Amazing food there, pricey though
Old 06-18-2022, 05:43 PM

In Grande Prairie:

Better Than Freds for bbq

Ramona's for pizza

Crooked Creek store for donuts

Fast Frank's for food truck hot dogs

Almost everything else in the area is a chain and decent, but not fantastic.