Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2023, 11:25 AM

Default Knife making...

thinking about making my own knives, made one many years ago on weekend "course". curious what equipment, supplies your experienced guys use, prefer. any help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:18 PM

Nexus Grinders in Raymond AB is closest to you.

Canadian Knifemaker Supply is in Brisco BC

Maritime Knife Supply is in Kentville NS

Here is a forum: Canadian Knifemaker

Steel table top
Forge
Angle grinder
Metal bandsaw (optional)
Tongs
Grinder. 2 X 72 is optimum but you can get away with 1X30, 2X42 but you'll want to upgrade later
Ceramic belts are awesome to hog steel off quickly. Ceramic in course to medium grits and the finer grits you can use any belt
Knife jig (optional)
Are you going to make knives from knife stock steel (e.g. 1/8, 5/32 X 1.5, 2") or are you wanting to hammer hot steel. If you are bent on hammering hot steel you will also need an anvil, hammers, more tongs...

Lots to ponder

Last edited by CNP; 01-03-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:33 PM

CNP gave you a bunch of real good advice there.

It is just like any other hobbies...one has to start somewhere.

Many will start with a 1X30/42" system. Which is OK. But you will soon realize a 2X72 system is the way to go.

I do realize a budget will dictate everything.

But for steel/handle supplies/hardware, I concur with CNP with the sites he gave you, as I also use them quite often.

Yes, you can check the big box stores in the US...but the shipping/duty/customs will kill you!

You can PM me anytime. No expert by any mean, but I will try and steer you in the right direction, and so will CNP!...
Old 01-04-2023, 06:16 AM

I started with a 1x30 grinder but it was slow and frustrating but OK to learn on. I made my own 2x72 grinder from some plans online and only bought the drive pulley, making the idler and platten pulleys on my lathe. I use a small angle grinder to roughly cut the knife profile and ceramic belts to grind and finish the blade shape and bevels. I use 1084 steel as its forgiving for heat treatment so I can use my home built forge to heat treat the steel and a toaster oven for tempering. It's a fun hobby to get into but a crowded field for a promaker it seems. I'm still learning and rarely make exactly the same knife each time.