Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Anybody into astronomy

I got a real good deal on a basic model Celestron 114 and want to try a little star gazing. Unfortunately, it came without an eye piece, I'm looking for suggestions as to what power to get.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-30-2022, 05:45 PM

I enjoy long walks on the beach
Old 06-30-2022, 06:04 PM

Someone has to post a joke about Uranus.

Colin
Old 06-30-2022, 06:11 PM

What does toilet paper and the Star Trek Enterprise have in common?

They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons. Har har har!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 06-30-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
What does toilet paper and the Star Trek Enterprise have in common?

They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons. Har har har!
This cracked me up lol awesome!!
Old 06-30-2022, 06:36 PM

25mm for a wider view, probably wouldn't go less than 10mm, will get too dark. The thing to remember is more power is not always better. You will sometimes see more with less power and more light. Also, Google a Barlow lense, you will find it useful.

Go buy a book called The Backyard Astronomers Guide. Money very well spent.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:26 PM

Just my story of how astronomy has been interesting. Astronomy can even be astronomically amazing. I learned about the planets and stars back in the late 70's when I was working for a surveyor. We were doing star shots for our bearings. The two of us were cutting a line through the bush north of Goose Lake west of Ft. Assiniboine. On clear nights we had to sight the transit on to a particular star by a particular time at night and then listen on a short wave radio channel for two beeps and we would have two minutes to secure the transit so we had true bearings for the next day's line of travel. If it was cloudy we had to wait for a clear night. We lived in a tracked Nodwell for 5 weeks. Now with today's satellites surveying using star shots is probably an obsolete lost trade.
---

Once you get a lens check out this online tool. It's great for orienteering at night too.

This is an interesting interactive map where you enter your location and the map will show you exactly where the planets and stars are in the sky over your location, in real time. The page tells you when and where the planets rise and set. Enter your location. Then scroll down to the select object area.. You can choose a planet or just close the "select object" window. Then the map shows and you can rotate the map as you like.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-30-2022 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:00 PM

I like reading about the cosmos and I had a 6" Meade, but the best shots are brought to the screen by Hubble and very soon by the JWST.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I got a real good deal on a basic model Celestron 114 and want to try a little star gazing. Unfortunately, it came without an eye piece, I'm looking for suggestions as to what power to get.

Grizz

PM Faststeel. He'll point u in the right direction.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:29 PM

The moon is fun to look at Jupiter and it’s 4 big moons are also a hit. Saturn blows peoples minds realizing some of those stars are not stars and the ringed planet looks great. I use SkyView light app to find stuff makes it nice and easy to locate the planets before you learn the sky.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Just my story of how astronomy has been interesting. Astronomy can even be astronomically amazing. I learned about the planets and stars back in the late 70's when I was working for a surveyor. We were doing star shots for our bearings. The two of us were cutting a line through the bush north of Goose Lake west of Ft. Assiniboine. On clear nights we had to sight the transit on to a particular star by a particular time at night and then listen on a short wave radio channel for two beeps and we would have two minutes to secure the transit so we had true bearings for the next day's line of travel. If it was cloudy we had to wait for a clear night. We lived in a tracked Nodwell for 5 weeks. Now with today's satellites surveying using star shots is probably an obsolete lost trade.
---

Once you get a lens check out this online tool. It's great for orienteering at night too.

This is an interesting interactive map where you enter your location and the map will show you exactly where the planets and stars are in the sky over your location, in real time. The page tells you when and where the planets rise and set. Enter your location. Then scroll down to the select object area.. You can choose a planet or just close the "select object" window. Then the map shows and you can rotate the map as you like.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/
thanks for the share, this is a great tool! I see so many stars on a clear night its hard to pick out constellations sure beats stargazing in the city!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-01-2022, 09:38 AM

Thanks Guys.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-01-2022, 12:23 PM

Year rrrighttt… Just admit that you have a hot neighbour moved in….