Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
And I sincerely COULDN'T care less if you get heavily fined and/or arrested for disobeying provincial orders. Just stay the f*** home....Christ.
I sure am glad you are staying safe at home.( cue sarcasm)
Old 04-15-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
So far I know there is no positive cases in my town so that is a good start. If I am going to get sick it’s more likely to be from my wife bringing it home from working at the hospital if they start getting cases of Covid19

I understand where people’s whole stay home stance comes from unfortunately there is a lot of mixed messages, poor understanding, and a lack of solid guidelines put out for the public. Start googling things add fear and things go wild

I can’t wait till this is all over and hope all stay healthy
All good. I told my wife about this topic yesterday evening. She thought I was nuts. "That just makes no sense...". Then I said, "Yeah, but I understand both sides and why people say to stay home.". After that she basically said the same thing that there is nothing wrong with fishing as an individual. Then I said I agree with that too. Her next comment was "You still make no sense so are you agreeing or disagreeing...". I shrugged and gave up

If you get out anytime soon, post back. I would be nice to see some recent fishing pics.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
All good. I told my wife about this topic yesterday evening. She thought I was nuts. "That just makes no sense...". Then I said, "Yeah, but I understand both sides and why people say to stay home.". After that she basically said the same thing that there is nothing wrong with fishing as an individual. Then I said I agree with that too. Her next comment was "You still make no sense so are you agreeing or disagreeing...". I shrugged and gave up

If you get out anytime soon, post back. I would be nice to see some recent fishing pics.
Things are a mess and lots of confusion

If things would hurry up and melt I would get out there and take pics of a minnow or two lol

Soon very soon
Old 04-15-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I believe it's temporary foreign workers, used in that context. Could be wrong.
How do people know they are temporary foreign workers? Those people who used this term, please explain what you mean.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
How do people know they are temporary foreign workers? Those people who used this term, please explain what you mean.
They are Mennonites brought up from Mexico to do the work that Canadians will not do. They are pretty easy to identify by there attire and the way they speak. In no way was I speaking derogatorily of them. They are hard working people and they enjoy fishing. They also have lots of kids.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-15-2020, 04:10 PM

I dunno but like in the video I posted last night if the government house leader says fishing/hunting is no problem as long as we abide by the guidelines,
I see no reason why anyone should feel bad about getting out there. Just be responsible.

Beginning of the daily provincial update devoted to mental health issues. If I heard correctly 74% of people involved in a recent survey feeling they are being affected mentally by this pandemic. I think some fresh air would do a lot of people some good. Premier also stated that numbers are looking a lot better than previous modelling.

This week of night shifts to finish then a week off and the weather is looking good. Calling for 17c on monday. Not going to be staying cooped up that's for sure.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:09 PM

I agree... some fresh air would do most of us some good.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Well, first related fishing cancellation for me. Had a camping spot in Jasper for the last weekend in May. They, Parks Canada, just extended all cancellations to the end of May.

Next one I have is the very first weekend in June.

I'm guessing ice-off fishing at Maligne is probably not happening for anyone this year.

Onwards and hope not all get cancelled this year.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:44 PM

Canceled two trips myself Ontario musky and lakers in BC/meet up with family

It’s going to be a really simple season close to home
Old 04-15-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I dunno but like in the video I posted last night if the government house leader says fishing/hunting is no problem as long as we abide by the guidelines,
I see no reason why anyone should feel bad about getting out there. Just be responsible.
Absolutely. I'm looking forward to my first day on the river with the fly rod next week.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:49 AM

I hate being restricted to the city, with PP being off-limits. I mean, I really, REALLY hate it. This is the time of year I'd usually be hitting the hiking trails in PPs, watching winter turn to spring to summer, hiking for 2 or 3 hours and usually not encountering a single other soul.

Can't do that now. Instead I walk city paths and trails, looking for walks with the fewest people and going at off-times if I can. Still I now walk past a dozen or so people in a 90 minute walk... before Covid-19 I'd encounter maybe 1 or 2 people on those same paths in the same distance. When real spring and summer weather arrives, the bikes and skateboards are only going to add to the urban congestion.

So it would be nice to be able to access PPs and Rec. areas, and to spread out the city folk into some more remote areas, instead of forcing us to all interact close to each other on city trails. I think it would be pretty easy to keep 2 metres distance in PPs and at fishing spots. Certainly a lot easier than trying to keep that same distance on city sidewalks.

My two cents.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:49 PM

Default Wabamum

I can't wait for the ice to go off the lakes and get fishing. Due to health reasons, i never even got to put my boat in the water last summer, so i'm really looking forward to it this year. With no access to wabamum lake via the provincial park, does anyone know for sure that the town of Wabamum will be allowing people to use their launch in town?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:08 AM

Headed out for a drive today, they had hwy 40 into K-country blocked off with a guy turning cars around at the hwy 68 intersection with 40.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:31 PM

They have clearly done a good enough job of injecting fear and despair into peoples minds. Does everyone realize the models used to justify this quarantine scenario have been revamped and were WAY wrong initially? Too late though as fear driven panic as propagated by the media has already taken hold. Not only are the death counts going to be much much lower, but taken into account the validity of those cases that lead to death....Do you believe the lockdown is justified? Taking away fishing from people who know what to do to keep themselves as safe as possible is not really about safety at all, its about control.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
They have clearly done a good enough job of injecting fear and despair into peoples minds. Does everyone realize the models used to justify this quarantine scenario have been revamped and were WAY wrong initially? Too late though as fear driven panic as propagated by the media has already taken hold. Not only are the death counts going to be much much lower, but taken into account the validity of those cases that lead to death....Do you believe the lockdown is justified? Taking away fishing from people who know what to do to keep themselves as safe as possible is not really about safety at all, its about control.
So the models primarily rely on a variable input called R0. R0 is the number of people the average infected person infects with no public measures. They are still working on pinning that number down but it is at least 2-5 people over the 2 weeks they are contagious. For a disease/virus outbreak to not grow and start receding it needs to be 1.05 people.

The revisions down/up that you are seeing are because the base R0 with no intervention is still being tweaked a little. But the major changes in the case projections are due to the public policies that have been put in place.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:15 PM

Crap, I thought travel during a pandemic was not a good idea.

Those on here thinking travel to other areas(camping, fishing, etc.) are only thinking of them selves, no one else!

Travel is what got us to where we are! People coming from covid19 communities should stay in their community! And I believe thats what the shutdowns are for.

Im 65 and not sure how many more fishing years, camping, hunting. But I bloody well dont mind waiting this out if it will help!
I too, want to go fishing and go for coffee with my friends. Good fricken gravy people!

edit: People should stay within there own communities not just if covid is present. There would be exceptions of course.

edit: Hint: Travel increases the chance of spreading the virus to other areas.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Crap, I thought travel during a pandemic was not a good idea.

Those on here thinking travel to other areas(camping, fishing, etc.) are only thinking of them selves, no one else!

Travel is what got us to where we are! People coming from covid19 communities should stay in their community! And I believe thats what the shutdowns are for.

Im 65 and not sure how many more fishing years, camping, hunting. But I bloody well dont mind waiting this out if it will help!
I too, want to go fishing and go for coffee with my friends. Good fricken gravy people!

edit: People should stay within there own communities not just if covid is present. There would be exceptions of course.

edit: Hint: Travel increases the chance of spreading the virus to other areas.
+1 Full agreement on this post. I can wait out a summer (or 2, at most) if that's what it takes to get rid of this thing forever!
Old 04-21-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
They are Mennonites brought up from Mexico to do the work that Canadians will not do. They are pretty easy to identify by there attire and the way they speak. In no way was I speaking derogatorily of them. They are hard working people and they enjoy fishing. They also have lots of kids.
Almost all Mennonites that workers in Canada live in Canada, some exceptions. They often travel to mexico for a few weeks or a month on occasion to visit family, but they live in Canada. They are not temporary foreign workers. I know quite a few, as they work on the farms that surround me, and 1 family are my neighbors. Most Temporary foriegn workers are Mexican nationals, Phillipeno, or similar. The Mennonites do not fall into this category. They are Canadian Citizens. There is some history of their people and their travels to be shared, but too much for this thread.