View Poll Results: What lure to design next
Plopper bait 6 26.09%
Wake bait 2 8.70%
Glider 9 39.13%
Other 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 03:33 PM

Default What lure to build next

Since I am getting all caught up with the extra spare time I want to try and develop one more new design before open water season starts. I have a good range in crankbaits so focusing in a different direction. I am completing a sinking spy bait design and a surface paddling top water design over this week. I can’t really decide what to go for next because I was not expecting to have the extra time. I will be sticking to a hard bait design

So the ideas running through my head is a plopper style top water, a wake bait, or glider but open to ideas just not crankbaits. The bait will be geared towards pike
Old 03-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Ok if you go with other let’s here what you are thinking
Old 03-26-2020, 09:25 PM

Maybe not what you are looking for. In the past I have made a couple flatfish style bodies from deer antler. Great material to work with and nicely weighted. The flatfish action is good for pike and other fish.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Maybe not what you are looking for. In the past I have made a couple flatfish style bodies from deer antler. Great material to work with and nicely weighted. The flatfish action is good for pike and other fish.
Making a deer antler flatfish is definitely different. I have built a few different smaller banana style baits out of wood for trout in the past but never antler. I don’t think I have used used a flatfish for pike either its always been a trout lure for me

An antler banana bait would definitely be a one off lure do to the material. I will keep it in mind as a fun project for sure because hey free time is common these days. Also don’t know if I have an antler to sacrifice

Likely do a different design first but this might be something to do after. If I take on a glider like most are voting for so far I might be able to do both if I have an antler to sacrifice. Gliders are not very difficult outside of getting the sink rate you are going for. Banana baits are not hard either but I have not worked with antler so might not go smooth
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

image.jpg

Jig this amongst the weeds...hold on.

Can you mimick something like this in a build?

Just a thought.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:04 AM

I have been threatening myself with a full carving like Solarbaits with scales and all. But I keep chickening out.

mind you, I have 10 gallons of plastic and 7lbs + of glitter on the way

But I did vote plopper very effective for pike , if they are looking up that day
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 AM

Never even heard of a whopper plopper before, and wow its pretty neat. Def have to try it on some pike. I think that would be crazy hard to build though.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Attachment 162152

Jig this amongst the weeds...hold on.

Can you mimick something like this in a build?

Just a thought.
Honestly if I want to I can knock off majority of the lures out there through molding and dissecting the original. Personally I won’t because it feels like cheating so I will build within a lure style but my own design.

I actually made a 5inch jig similar style to that in the past for ice fishing lake trout. I recycled the mold and no longer have the master so I would have to start from scratch. Building one of these involves building a non functioning master and molding it.

Not hard to build but a little low on mold material and would prefer to go with a casting lure over a jig going into open water season. Might be an idea for the start of next ice fishing season
Old 03-27-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Never even heard of a whopper plopper before, and wow its pretty neat. Def have to try it on some pike. I think that would be crazy hard to build though.
I have been doing this for sometime I am more than capable of building a plopper style lure

You want to see another interesting top water google surface paddler for Murray cod and look at a clip of the action. It’s a top water common to Australia. I just finished molding my prototype for a one piece surface paddler to test on pike
Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I have been threatening myself with a full carving like Solarbaits with scales and all. But I keep chickening out.

mind you, I have 10 gallons of plastic and 7lbs + of glitter on the way

But I did vote plopper very effective for pike , if they are looking up that day
Solarbaits and some of the other lure makers out there make true art work. I have never tried carving to their level of detail and would definitely need to switch carving materials before I attempt it.

I am still really tempted to get into the soft plastics but I feel I am stretching my self too thin at times. But I have 2 really cool hybrid designs in my head I want to bring to life
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Honestly if I want to I can knock off majority of the lures out there through molding and dissecting the original. Personally I won’t because it feels like cheating so I will build within a lure style but my own design.

I actually made a 5inch jig similar style to that in the past for ice fishing lake trout. I recycled the mold and no longer have the master so I would have to start from scratch. Building one of these involves building a non functioning master and molding it.

Not hard to build but a little low on mold material and would prefer to go with a casting lure over a jig going into open water season. Might be an idea for the start of next ice fishing season
awesome...one of these with your own twist to it...keep'em coming!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2020, 06:32 PM

Seems to be a real love for gliders
Old 03-29-2020, 06:17 PM

A large sized (true 7"-8"), slow sink glider - that's the ticket for pike !!!!!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:26 PM

The way it’s looking the public wants a glider so likely what I wish build unless things dramatically change in a few days lol

I was thinking 6-7inch. I have two styles in my head so might just build both to decide which action I like best.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:14 AM

Thinking I will cut out the body for 2 gliders today. Because this body shape may have stabilization issues I will do one with a lexan tail for stability and another without. Common technique for stabilizing a glider but I hope to get the one without the lexan tail working. The one with the best action will be the keeper

Morning scribble of what I have in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2020, 10:29 AM

If you want to try one of these just PM me[IMG]www.baitrix.com[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If you want to try one of these just PM me[IMG]www.baitrix.com[/IMG]
?
Old 04-13-2020, 11:56 AM

I have not forgotten this project just picking at it amongst others. This will give people a little idea about the pain in the butt weighting a glider is. They are one of those lures that appears really simple but there is some tricks hidden inside that make them work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 PM

I vote : Plopper bait
Old 04-13-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertha View Post
I vote : Plopper bait
Maybe next on glider is started