Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Ladies and gentleman, some of you may know who I am and some may not. I've been here forever and am also an ER physician.

1. Respect the new restrictions -- now is not the time to look for loopholes to go fishing. I love it as much as you do but don't plan on it for the next while. I know this sucks but after all, it is only fishing.

2. Just because you currently can access some areas via non provincial access points does not mean that you should. Again, respect this virus, this is no joke.

3. Comparing park closures to liquor stores is ridiculous. The reality is that acute alcohol withdrawal can be FATAL for heavy users. Many of you will not know that. The absolute last thing ICU's currently need is an influx of withdrawal patients requiring ventilators and critical care. This is why the liquor stores are open.

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere. Think of it as a nice break for them. Do go outdoors and get fresh air albeit respecting physical distancing. It is easy to gripe about these restrictions but not so easy to choose who gets a ventilator if we fail to slow the spread of this contagion.

Stay safe.

highwood
Fishing has been a great way for me to socially isolate.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I have just two words to say to you.... Thank you.
And that I really appreciate you and front line health care staff that have to be out there.

Mr. Snap .... well said.

Those of you who have ice shacks on Sylvan or other lakes, hope to see them all off by March 31st. I believe the Town shut/locked the gate to the lake access road to the public skating rinks in the main townsite. You can still access the lake at Norglenwold and the other RR's around the lake.

D.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:31 PM

Note that it is only the provincial parks that are closed, and people should respect that.

But fishing is not closed. If health officials close fishing entirely, then so be it, but that has not been done. As long as you are just going with those you already live with and keeping distance from others then it shouldn't be any more dangerous to yourself or others than going out for a walk, probably less so because it's hard not to pass near strangers when out for a walk, at least until the snow melts.

We are not in total lock-down. If they deem that necessary, then so be it, but officials are so far not saying that. If you want to take more stringent measures yourself, that is your right. I personally won't be going fishing anytime soon, but that is because of a stubborn arm injury that is very slow to heal. If they close fishing in general by the time May long comes around, then I will respect that. Otherwise I will follow the guidance of health officials, who so far have not put any restrictions on fishing, just on access to provincial parks and recreation sites.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:45 PM

Just thinking about fishing.

If you are out fishing and fish cop stops by. Would that not be close contact? They would need you to produce your license no? Check your coolers etc.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Just thinking about fishing.
If you are out fishing and fish cop stops by. Would that not be close contact? They would need you to produce your license no? Check your coolers etc.
Good point. I suppose they could wear disposable gloves, get you to put your license on your cooler so they don't have to get within 2 metres of you, then check things and then dispose of the gloves. Cumbersome though. Maybe that sort of issue will lead to a complete fishery closure, guess we will see.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Rock and Hard place

Been through the ringer on this one today, yeesh. In one FB group I posted (mind you, this was yesterday before the announcement), I got 100% support when I asked fellow outdoorsmen their opinion about going fishing tomorrow (Sunday).

Switch to a different FB group today, yikes, was called selfish and immature for even contemplating it.

Lots of strong opinions on both sides. It does come down to a personal choice, as long as the government is giving us that choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Note that it is only the provincial parks that are closed, and people should respect that.

But fishing is not closed. If health officials close fishing entirely, then so be it, but that has not been done. As long as you are just going with those you already live with and keeping distance from others then it shouldn't be any more dangerous to yourself or others than going out for a walk, probably less so because it's hard not to pass near strangers when out for a walk, at least until the snow melts.

We are not in total lock-down. If they deem that necessary, then so be it, but officials are so far not saying that. If you want to take more stringent measures yourself, that is your right. I personally won't be going fishing anytime soon, but that is because of a stubborn arm injury that is very slow to heal. If they close fishing in general by the time May long comes around, then I will respect that. Otherwise I will follow the guidance of health officials, who so far have not put any restrictions on fishing, just on access to provincial parks and recreation sites.
This IS correct, as Jason Nixon himself (or whoever runs his FB page) replied to me on a post. He said they are not closing fishing and spring hunting for now, but, he did take care to mention that the Covid19 situation is evolving rapidly. I choose to read between the lines on that one and predict that suspension of fishing and hunting is coming sooner, rather than later. For the time being, he clearly implied fishing is still an option today...

...except of course everyone and their dog is telling people to stay home.

Quote:
Ladies and gentleman, some of you may know who I am and some may not. I've been here forever and am also an ER physician.

1. Respect the new restrictions -- now is not the time to look for loopholes to go fishing. I love it as much as you do but don't plan on it for the next while. I know this sucks but after all, it is only fishing.

2. Just because you currently can access some areas via non provincial access points does not mean that you should. Again, respect this virus, this is no joke.

3. Comparing park closures to liquor stores is ridiculous. The reality is that acute alcohol withdrawal can be FATAL for heavy users. Many of you will not know that. The absolute last thing ICU's currently need is an influx of withdrawal patients requiring ventilators and critical care. This is why the liquor stores are open.

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere. Think of it as a nice break for them. Do go outdoors and get fresh air albeit respecting physical distancing. It is easy to gripe about these restrictions but not so easy to choose who gets a ventilator if we fail to slow the spread of this contagion.

Stay safe.

highwood
I too will join the chorus of Albertans thank-you for all the work you are doing. Nurses too, all front line workers.

In the end, it comes to what your individual perspective is on your principles and what is practical.

I had everything planned tomorrow; the extra jerry cans of gas, the port-a-potty, food, water, total overkill for a solo day trip. Practically speaking, it would have been easy, almost too easy, to logistically execute a trip where I don't see, talk to, or come within 1 km of another human being. That's what's annoying about these ministerial orders; they are so half-arsed. Just call it and be done with it, don't tempt me, when I know how to "get lost" unlike the dumb idiots in Canmore and Elbow Falls.

It would be so easy to go, no one would know, no one would notice.

But I won't.

Because there is also the spirit of the principle in play here, and that is, people, including Highwood are asking me not too. Fair enough. And no, I don't think that earns me an effin hero cookie.

The real heroes wear scrubs, not waders.

Hunker down time.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere.
With absolutely all due respect, this is not simply about fish. What impact is this closure of all provincial lands going to have on outdoorspeople with chronic mental health issues, for whom the outdoors is an important place as a release/refuge? Some of these people may have experienced job loss and be experiencing domestic challenges with their entire family spending 24 hours a day together under the same roof? It's not going to be pretty.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 PM

Unfortunately some feel the fall out after the virus will be way worse for a lot of folks. People on the edge are starving right now, not to mention suicides, divorces, and economic recession. Unfortunately those statistics are just as hard to capture as this strain of influenza.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:15 PM

They’re going to wait for everyone to buy their new fishing licence and then they’ll suspend fishing.

F&W hardly has enough man power to enforce the laws now, how does the government expect to keep people out of the backcountry

If the government is so concerned with “flattening the curve”, then implement martial law, should’ve done it two weeks ago.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:36 PM

I find it interesting that the 2020 walleye tag brochure isn't out yet even though the application period begins in 3 days. I bought my 2020 fishing license and would consider it a donation to the sport if fishing doesn't open up this year but would be very sad if the campgrounds boat ramps and indeed the sport itself didn't happen this year. I totally understand the social distancing and am halfway through my 14 days after returning from warmer climes but fresh air and outdoor recreation are incredibly important to one's mental and physical health as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Been through the ringer on this one today, yeesh. In one FB group I posted (mind you, this was yesterday before the announcement), I got 100% support when I asked fellow outdoorsmen their opinion about going fishing tomorrow (Sunday).

Switch to a different FB group today, yikes, was called selfish and immature for even contemplating it.

Lots of strong opinions on both sides. .
Social media in general, and FB in particular, attracts a lot of people who like to tell other people what they should or should not be doing. Add in Covid-19 and they are inspired to take it up a notch, all in the interest of public health of course.

I feel it's best to follow the official public health directives. Those have been determined by teams of real experts, not by Joe Expert on FB.

Right now, Alberta public health orders tell us not to drive to provincial parks. They can't clean facilities in the parks without proper protective gear and it's more important that health care workers have that gear right now. Okay, PP are out.

They have not directed anyone to not go fishing. So fishing is okay when going with people you are in regular contact with anyway, and using physical distancing from others.

If the authorities ultimately decide to close fishing for some reason then of course I would follow those rules. But I'll ignore the extra rules that people on FB and elsewhere are trying to impose on people. Our province has a team of experts to set health guidelines and rules, I'll take my advice from them.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Social media in general, and FB in particular, attracts a lot of people who like to tell other people what they should or should not be doing. Add in Covid-19 and they are inspired to take it up a notch, all in the interest of public health of course.

I feel it's best to follow the official public health directives. Those have been determined by teams of real experts, not by Joe Expert on FB.

Right now, Alberta public health orders tell us not to drive to provincial parks. They can't clean facilities in the parks without proper protective gear and it's more important that health care workers have that gear right now. Okay, PP are out.

They have not directed anyone to not go fishing. So fishing is okay when going with people you are in regular contact with anyway, and using physical distancing from others.

If the authorities ultimately decide to close fishing for some reason then of course I would follow those rules. But I'll ignore the extra rules that people on FB and elsewhere are trying to impose on people. Our province has a team of experts to set health guidelines and rules, I'll take my advice from them.
I think you have made some strong points there.

By the way, I contacted AB Parks through FB Messenger. They just got back to me, and they've updated their Facebook page.

Attached is what they've said.
Attached Images
File Type: png AB Parks UPDATE.PNG (31.4 KB, 248 views)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Yup I concur...this thing is growing like crazy. 500000 world wide on Thursday and 700000 today....I was a bit skeptical myself to begin with but I think I'll just do whatever the health care providers suggest or insist I do from here on. Still workin but we about to get shut down. I'm gonna go home and get my chores all caught up and see where we are from there. I wanted to go fishing and spring bear hunting but if it's not allowed so be it. The sooner this thing plays itself out the sooner we can get back to something resembling normal.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:01 PM

So a place like Beaver lake is closed. But if I park on the side of the road and walk in it’s ok. Seems silly. But you know that road will be crowded. Not to mention the shore line will be busy. I can’t see fishing being open once the ice melts. Boat launches will have to be closed if they are sticking to their guns about this. Which they certainly are.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:21 PM

Can someone tell me if spray lakes is closed to fishing? The west sIde is a campground....but is the road closed? Is driftwood parking lot closed....? If so I can still park on main road and walk in?

Anyone fish there recently?

Tnx

Happy
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM

It's in the Sray Lake Prov Park. Can't see where you could ever park to go fishn.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:58 PM

the point of all of this is "stop trying to find loopholes". Just stay home. The sooner we all just stay home and relax, the sooner we can get back the lives we love. I love to fish, too, but I'd rather have some summer to enjoy than push it now and have nothing until who knows when.

Stay. Home.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
the point of all of this is "stop trying to find loopholes". Just stay home. The sooner we all just stay home and relax, the sooner we can get back the lives we love. I love to fish, too, but I'd rather have some summer to enjoy than push it now and have nothing until who knows when.

Stay. Home.
What is better putting miles between people or yards?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 PM

I like smokey....dont see the harm in me alone going there and fishing with noone around me....safer than going to Walmart for sure....

Happy
Old 04-02-2020, 10:24 PM

Apparently EID is closing up anything they run as well, for the season.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 AM

There will be no seasonal sites at Crawling Valley this summer and they don't know at this time if the campground will open at all. I don't know the status of the boat ramp.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:58 AM

Jesus...this is what I was afraid of.....so no camping this year at all???? Or only private camping sites are allowed? I guess I could always just hit the Bush.....on crown land?

Tnx

Happy
Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I've been tying trout flies all winter. No friggin' virus is going to stop me from using them in a month or so?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Chain Lakes (near Athabacsa)

Just spoke with an Athabasca conservation officer and they have closed the road right at the main gravel road. If you want to fish you have to park on the main road and carry/pull your stuff the half km down to the lake.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatei View Post
Just spoke with an Athabasca conservation officer and they have closed the road right at the main gravel road. If you want to fish you have to park on the main road and carry/pull your stuff the half km down to the lake.
Interesting. Would that not be considered a staging area? ie. you can't park there either.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:40 PM

If people don't stay home this year, the next few years will be canceled as well. Figure it out, this is not a joke and loopholes only ruin this for others who enjoy fishing. Do the right thing.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
If people don't stay home this year, the next few years will be canceled as well. Figure it out, this is not a joke and loopholes only ruin this for others who enjoy fishing. Do the right thing.
Ok if you’re going to make a statement like that let’s hear the rationality behind it

Right now I don’t see your logic

Oh and there has been no cancellation of fishing season or a lockdown just park closers and social distancing laws.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM

Exactly, it is unlikely that the world is ending. There are several early stage vaccine trials as well as trials of therapy. There are literally trillions of dollars at stake and the smartest people in the world along with massive computing power are hard at work finding a cure. Once a vaccine is developed and mass produced this will become the flu. In the meantime we all need to do our bit to not spread the disease but it will not end all recreation for years to come.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
Exactly, it is unlikely that the world is ending. There are several early stage vaccine trials as well as trials of therapy. There are literally trillions of dollars at stake and the smartest people in the world along with massive computing power are hard at work finding a cure. Once a vaccine is developed and mass produced this will become the flu. In the meantime we all need to do our bit to not spread the disease but it will not end all recreation for years to come.
Worst case majority of people who contract Covid19 survive and so far I have not seen any cases of Covid19 transferring to fish

Respect taking steps to prevent infection and transfer but let’s be realistic at the same time.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Jesus...this is what I was afraid of.....so no camping this year at all???? Or only private camping sites are allowed? I guess I could always just hit the Bush.....on crown land?
I don't think that will be the case. Right now they have closed Provincial Parks because if staff are going to clean toilets and facilities they would need proper protective gear, and it's more important that hospitals have that gear. So they tried leaving parks open with facilities closed but people were crapping beside washrooms, leaving diapers strewn about, so they just shut it all down. It's supposed to be temporary.

They will need to come up with some sort of plan for the summer as to how to open parks yet avoid people forming groups, plus how to frequently sanitize facilities like washrooms, water supplies, etc.

I think it would be a terrible idea to close PP all summer and I'm sure the authorities know this too. Come the first big heat wave, with temps in the 30s and few people having air conditioning, people are going to go out and find a way to cool down. If they stopped people from spreading out to Alberta's open spaces such as PP, they would just end up with a million people in each of Calgary and Edmonton flooding into the respective river valleys, which is the opposite of what they are trying to accomplish as far as physical distancing.