Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Default [Beaking News] All Provincial Park Closed to Access

https://albertaparks.ca/albertaparks...e-to-covid-19/

Can we still go fishing? Sylvan Lake? Spray Lake? Etc.?
What is the boundary of the provincial park?
Can we park somewhere and walk onto ice?
Is Ice Surface part of the park or Crown Land?

Let's discuss!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:09 PM

I understood it to mean they were closed to vehicles.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 PM

For some waterbody, we may need to drive through the park or recreational areas to get access onto the ice...
So it's better to know which access points are closed.
Getting a ticket is not fun.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:48 PM

My reading of it is that you can't drive thru or park in a provincial park, but if you access the lake some other way then it is all open.

So at Sylvan Lake you couldn't access the lake with a vehicle thru the provincial park, but no-one does that anyway. But the access points for Sylvan that didn't involve the PP would still all be fine. So you could drive on at the marina, at Half-Moon Bay, RR 23, etc.

If there are lakes where the only access is thru a PP, then you couldn't drive on with a car or truck. I'm not sure if you could sled on to those lakes, since vehicles are banned and I'm not sure if they consider a snowmobile a vehicle or not. The notice on the Alberta Parks website says, "Walking, hiking, biking, horseback riding and off-highway vehicle use are still permitted on designated trails"... not sure how to interpret that with respect to off-highway vehicle use and designated trails.

Last edited by Isopod; 03-27-2020 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 PM

As for parking a vehicle near a PP and walking on across PP land, that is not permitted. They Alberta Parks website says, "Please do not leave vehicles on the side of the road or on private property."

But I think you could have someone drop you off and pick you up on a public roadway beside a PP and you could walk onto the park to your fishing spot, and that would be acceptable. Not a lot of people are going to do that of course, which is why I think it is allowed.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 PM

Default Spray Lakes

I need a vehicle to get there, and usually park on the side of the road (Sparrowhawk). So I'm f'd apparently?
What about Driftwood parking lot? Not on the road.

Who writes these announcements for the Gov't?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 PM

This is going to make me nuts. Hopefully this closure doesn’t last to the end of May. Been looking forward to getting out to the trout lakes all winter long. This is a real bummer. I think the crown lands will next on the hit list when everyone starts going there. F73$;7&k
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Read and understand the link

Quote:
Now is not the time to visit our provincial parks or recreation areas. If you have plans to visit one of these areas in the coming days, please cancel your plans.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:14 PM

You can still drive your vehicle to buy still buy booze and pot ,,,, but you can't drive into a prov park to go fishing, hiking or X country skiing etc,,,

Motels and hotels stay open but prov campgrounds close????

Absolute lunacy!!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
My reading of it is that you can't drive thru or park in a provincial park, but if you access the lake some other way then it is all open.

So at Sylvan Lake you couldn't access the lake with a vehicle thru the provincial park, but no-one does that anyway. But the access points for Sylvan that didn't involve the PP would still all be fine. So you could drive on at the marina, at Half-Moon Bay, RR 23, etc.

If there are lakes where the only access is thru a PP, then you couldn't drive on with a car or truck. I'm not sure if you could sled on to those lakes, since vehicles are banned and I'm not sure if they consider a snowmobile a vehicle or not. The notice on the Alberta Parks website says, "Walking, hiking, biking, horseback riding and off-highway vehicle use are still permitted on designated trails"... not sure how to interpret that with respect to off-highway vehicle use and designated trails.
Look under the Highways Act for Vehicle description.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 AM

Ladies and gentleman, some of you may know who I am and some may not. I've been here forever and am also an ER physician.

1. Respect the new restrictions -- now is not the time to look for loopholes to go fishing. I love it as much as you do but don't plan on it for the next while. I know this sucks but after all, it is only fishing.

2. Just because you currently can access some areas via non provincial access points does not mean that you should. Again, respect this virus, this is no joke.

3. Comparing park closures to liquor stores is ridiculous. The reality is that acute alcohol withdrawal can be FATAL for heavy users. Many of you will not know that. The absolute last thing ICU's currently need is an influx of withdrawal patients requiring ventilators and critical care. This is why the liquor stores are open.

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere. Think of it as a nice break for them. Do go outdoors and get fresh air albeit respecting physical distancing. It is easy to gripe about these restrictions but not so easy to choose who gets a ventilator if we fail to slow the spread of this contagion.

Stay safe.

highwood
Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror View Post
For some waterbody, we may need to drive through the park or recreational areas to get access onto the ice...
So it's better to know which access points are closed.
Getting a ticket is not fun.
The advice I have been getting from the radio, newspaper and tv, All say to stay home ! Going to get bait, coffee and gas all require that your out touching door handles, coffee pots and fridge handles, just to mention a few things that human hands are touching. This is how this thing spreads. Be a denier if you wish, but maybe, STAY HOME !!
Old 03-28-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Ladies and gentleman, some of you may know who I am and some may not. I've been here forever and am also an ER physician.

1. Respect the new restrictions -- now is not the time to look for loopholes to go fishing. I love it as much as you do but don't plan on it for the next while. I know this sucks but after all, it is only fishing.

2. Just because you currently can access some areas via non provincial access points does not mean that you should. Again, respect this virus, this is no joke.

3. Comparing park closures to liquor stores is ridiculous. The reality is that acute alcohol withdrawal can be FATAL for heavy users. Many of you will not know that. The absolute last thing ICU's currently need is an influx of withdrawal patients requiring ventilators and critical care. This is why the liquor stores are open.

Please stay home if at all possible and let us do our jobs. The fish aren't going anywhere. Think of it as a nice break for them. Do go outdoors and get fresh air albeit respecting physical distancing. It is easy to gripe about these restrictions but not so easy to choose who gets a ventilator if we fail to slow the spread of this contagion.

Stay safe.

highwood
Good post here. I do agree with everything you say. The liquor stores staying open I understand but to see just now that cannabis stores too. That is a joke. Not a fan of that insane move and it’s not important or essential in my opinion. Tax dollars I guess
Might stay home instead of going fishing. I am set up good with a small fridge of bait and most times I can go directly to a lake and not stop anywhere but looks like its game over. Be safe everyone.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
The advice I have been getting from the radio, newspaper and tv, All say to stay home ! Going to get bait, coffee and gas all require that your out touching door handles, coffee pots and fridge handles, just to mention a few things that human hands are touching. This is how this thing spreads. Be a denier if you wish, but maybe, STAY HOME !!
We are not in a lockdown....wash hands....social distancing....minimize but still enjoy an outing etc.....gotta get groceries and gas soon

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-28-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Stay safe.

highwood

Confused you say go out and get fresh air that's what I do...drive my truck on the ice drill a hole and stare at it...outdoors....if you practice proper hygiene and have not contact with people what so ever then there is no problems....I gotta get groceries sooner or later now that scares the hell out of me....

I too will get out for a ride as I live in the country and again see no one othe than the hogs back end or a moose or two....

Oh well

Stay safe folks.....

Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM

One of several quotes from the government yesterday was: "If getting your destination requires a vehicle, then don't go"

Super ****ty time, but if this means that we'll get through this faster and get back to normal faster, then I'm for it. Short term pain for long term gain.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 AM

Come open water I am going fishing even if I have to carry a slingshot to remind others about social distancing. I don’t plan on going to any park or busy area anyway. Fact of the matter is if you are within the social distancing limits you are too close to another fishermen Covid19 or not

To those who think we should lock everything down do it in the cities full of people and where Covid19 exists.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:41 AM

I’m in full support of any restriction needed to combat this spread. I’ve followed all recommendations and will continue too. That said, I have no reason to stop anywhere other then possibly to get gas ( put gloves on, then wipe down buttons and pump handle, no human contact and the surface I touched is cleaner b/c of me). I will still go fishing on a less frequent basis. We all need to get outside while practising social distancing and all health recommendations.
if I go outside on any walking trail, dog park, park, sidewalk or anywhere else in the city I will absolutely be crossing paths with many many more people. I live near a dog park and can see 100’s of people parking beside each other, petting each other’s dogs, touching similar handrails, etc. Everyone needs to do your part to stop the spread. If you need to stop 4 times along the way to go fishing and come into close contact with people along the way, then you should stay home!

Stay safe.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Come open water I am going fishing even if I have to carry a slingshot to remind others about social distancing. I don’t plan on going to any park or busy area anyway. Fact of the matter is if you are within the social distancing limits you are too close to another fishermen Covid19 or not

To those who think we should lock everything down do it in the cities full of people and where Covid19 exists.
All the people in the city are going to the country because there is no virus out of town ! More people on the streets of Canmore than in downtown Calgary.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
All the people in the city are going to the country because there is no virus out of town ! More people on the streets of Canmore than in downtown Calgary.
Hence why you put the people in cities or infected areas on lockdown to limit the spread to outlying areas

But we know it won’t go that way
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM

Wink

Quote:
Hence why you put the people in cities or infected areas on lockdown to limit the spread to outlying areas

I got a full auto slingshot....get off my lake

Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:

It could. Don’t forget to wipe your groceries down after purchasing them. The warehouses are moving products at a rapid pace and the virus can live on some items for a couple days. Most food is coming from the big cities.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
It could. Don’t forget to wipe your groceries down after purchasing them. The warehouses are moving products at a rapid pace and the virus can live on some items for a couple days. Most food is coming from the big cities.
My wife works in healthcare I get to hear all the fun stuff on do’s and don’t on Covid19

Just what she needed was another thing to nag me about lol
Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I got a full auto slingshot....get off my lake
I am ugly looking enough most avoid me anyway lol
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM

Less pressure on the fish? Hahaha
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM

Hope the boat launches r open in May for soft water season. 🙏🏼
Old 03-28-2020, 10:03 AM

With the announcement of provincial park closures, I'd be shocked if they didn't announce something more directly about fishing come mid-May. People just really have to stay home. It's not worth it.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:14 AM

Habby ; I agree with you, were just staying home except for groceries.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
With the announcement of provincial park closures, I'd be shocked if they didn't announce something more directly about fishing come mid-May. People just really have to stay home. It's not worth it.
Less likely to catch Covid19 out fishing then letting my dog out for a crap.

I can respect avoiding crowds, giving space, and avoiding high traffic areas but sorry if you are going to tell me not to go fishing where there is at the min of 1/2km-10km from the nearest person NO. There is absolutely no logic to it and you are being paranoid a fear monger

Using common sense and precaution I can respect but let’s be realistic
Old 03-28-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Stay safe.

highwood
I have just two words to say to you.... Thank you.
And that I really appreciate you and front line health care staff that have to be out there.