Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 04:22 PM

Default Leaders for pike/ walleye fishing.

Yes, I know that a steel leader is vital for pike, and that for walleye one doesn't a leader at all, but what do you guys recommend when fishing areas where both species are likely.

I've tried very short braided steel leaders, very thin single strand steel leaders, and heavy flouro leaders. Personally I haven't been able to verify that any one of these options works better than the others, but have definitely noticed that having no leader at all is quite beneficial on some days.

Interested to hear what others are using.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:31 PM

That's a tough one. Water clarity plays a role as well. I like to use a fairly heavy fluoro leader in situations where I have a good shot at catching pike and walleye.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:46 PM

Default Leaders

Have you tried Titanium leaders?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:12 PM

There is only one way to go IMO - heavy fluorocarbon leaders made from fluorocarbon leader material (not line material) - there is a difference in the two types and how they are made.

Of dozens of people who poo-poo the use of fluorocarbon leaders - the vast majority of them where IGNORANT to the fact there is fluorocarbon leader and then there is fluorocarbon line and they are not one and the same. They used the wrong stuff and had failures.

80lb leader will never result in a bite through - I've now been using this for over 10 years, fish far more than 95% of the guys out there and have caught thousands and thousands of pike on the same leader on my favorite rod (yes that leader is 10-12 years old).

Using fluorocarbon leader material heavy enough - you will not have bites off on pike and it offers these advantages ...

- Clear (and far more invisible compared to steel or titanium)

- Far more flexible and supple

- will not cut your hand if you grab it and the pike thrashes

- won't cut the pike up

- you can customize your own length

- it will not kink

- 80-lb fluoro is thinner than 80-lb steel braided leader

- use your own choice of swivels and snap swivels (quality is important here IMO but that's another thread altogether).

- won't rub and saw off your other rods or line from other rods in storage in the locker

Last edited by EZM; 03-30-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
There is only one way to go IMO - heavy fluorocarbon leaders made from fluorocarbon leader material (not line material) - there is a difference in the two types and how they are made.

Of dozens of people who poo-poo the use of fluorocarbon leaders - the vast majority of them where IGNORANT to the fact there is fluorocarbon leader and then there is fluorocarbon line and they are not one and the same. They used the wrong stuff and had failures.

80lb leader will never result in a bite through - I've now been using this for over 10 years, fish far more than 95% of the guys out there and have caught thousands and thousands of pike on the same leader on my favorite rod (yes that leader is 10-12 years old).

Using fluorocarbon leader material heavy enough - you will not have bites off on pike and it offers these advantages ...

- won't cut the pike up

- it will not kink

- use your own choice of swivels and snap swivels (quality is important here IMO but that's another thread altogether).

- won't rub and saw off your other rods or line from other rods in storage in the locker
100% agree with this, however I would like to add... 100% of people who poo-poo mono leaders, are ignorant of the fact that there is a huge difference between mono leaders and mono line.

50-80 lb mono leader material will catch pike just as well as fluorocarbon leader material in the same weights. Have not been able to determine whether walleye can see it any better or worse at this point (going on 3 seasons of experimenting).

I tie mine long and just trim them back a few inches every 10-20 pike.

EZM, I challenge you to try a roll of Berkley Big Game Leader Material, and tell me if you can see any difference at all in performance. In return I will try a spool of whatever you are using and let you know my findings.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 PM

Titanium all the way, I hate the curve memory in 40 to 60 pound flour and steel is just cheap and bendy.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

- won't cut the pike up

- it will not kink

X2, and I usually use 60 lb with the same results.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:04 PM

I like 40 lb floro when Im hunting pike, and 20 if Im after walleye, can still get most pike in with 20 if your leader isnt in too deep I just tie directly to my hooks no swivels or snaps

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-30-2020, 08:18 PM

40lb trilene big game works for me in the fly fishing game. Big heavy takes on poppers, only had one ever bite and go. Which was due to me being lazy after catching a bunch of pike and disregarding the nicks.

Cheap. Couple hundred yards will cost you less than $10.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:19 PM

50lb floro leaders all the time and catch a lot of pike and never been chewed through. I do run my fingers along after a catch and check for nicks. If I feel any I just dip into the backup supply and put on a new one. When walleye fishing I use the same but 20 lb.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:31 AM
Banned

Knot-2-Kinky, a nickel-titanium stretch wire leader made in the U.S.A.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:46 AM

If I’m worried about bite through I use a titanium leader. Most of the time I use braid with a 30 lb Fluoro leader that’s 4-6 feet long. If I’m fishing dirty/stained water I will also tie 65 lb braid direct to the lure.

The old wire leaders have no place in my boat anymore.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-31-2020, 07:53 AM

I end up using both Titanium and fluorocarbon, I have a titanium leader on one of my rods for two seasons now (just trim the line back now and again). But there are days and lakes where the Fluorocarbon catches better.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
100% agree with this, however I would like to add... 100% of people who poo-poo mono leaders, are ignorant of the fact that there is a huge difference between mono leaders and mono line.

50-80 lb mono leader material will catch pike just as well as fluorocarbon leader material in the same weights. Have not been able to determine whether walleye can see it any better or worse at this point (going on 3 seasons of experimenting).

EZM, I challenge you to try a roll of Berkley Big Game Leader Material, and tell me if you can see any difference at all in performance. In return I will try a spool of whatever you are using and let you know my findings.
Only potential issue I see is using that green anchor rope in clear water. Otherwise I'm sure it compares similarly.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

No need to throw down the gauntlet …. I have a few rolls of the Berkley Big Game - seems to be fine and I don't see any discernible difference except the tint (color).

I should add, If I'm using a light jig or something smaller, I do have 20lb, 40lb and 60lb leaders as well.

With these lighter leaders, you just have to check them time to time as they can get knicked up over time (moreso compared to the heavier 80lb).

I'm often (90%>) throwing far larger pike lures compared to most guys like drifters, ernies, musky mania cowbells and stuff like that made for musky, so the 80lb doesn't effect action.

If I ran a teenie little 2.5" crankbait behind the heavy 80lb leader (or even a steel one) the action changes of course. That's when I drop it down to 60 or 40's for smaller cranks.

The biggest difference you will see in hook ups is on the slower presentations, where the fluoro is invisible compared to steel leaders. This is less important in trolling or fast retrieving I've noticed as the fish need to make a choice quickly to follow and bite the lure versus studying it while bait/slow presentation fishing. This is where fluoro or mono shines.

Last edited by EZM; 03-31-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:09 AM

I would say depends on your type of fishing. If you are ice fishing or jigging specifically then you really need something that presents well and with some finesse. I cant remember the name of them which isnt helpful but they were of a braided metal/steel of some sort and they are incredibly fine. They are not the typical titanium like knot 2 kinky material or something to that extent - literally probably the diameteter of a 4 pound fireline, really nice. Ive had 6 and even though they are kinked to crap they are so small and fine that it doesnt really matter. I had gotten them at fishin hole and they are pricey.

However if you are casting and working hooks in the open water months its hard to beat a 20-25 pound 12" knot 2 kinky leader. I make my own and get the swivels and clips i like which makes it way cheaper but a big pain cause you cant crimp them, theres a special knot. You could just bite the bullet and buy a 3 pack of premade ones that are pricey - however they will last a really good amount of time and not kink. We fish thrm in saskatchewan in heavy weeds and big pike for a week straight with 1 leader per person on average. Been doing it for about 5 years now. Big flouro is a pain in my opinion....
Old 03-31-2020, 11:55 AM

Just a caution with the “Knot 2 Kinky” pre-made leaders, I have had them break where the loop is formed for the swivel and clip. It’s happened more than once, which was enough for me to find another brand of pre-made leader.

The Knot 2 Kinky wire itself is good. I use it for tying a lot of pike flies and trailer hooks.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
X2, and I usually use 60 lb with the same results.
X3
Old 03-31-2020, 04:02 PM

I've had good luck with Seaguar leader material as far as no bite offs.
Tie my own quick strike rigs with it as well.

With that said there are not a lot of cases where I'll use any leader if targeting walleye in pike infested waters. Generally just live dangerously and hope for the best. Trolling cranks and throwing swimbaits, spoons ya I'll throw a leader on as the hooks are generally more expensive but that's about it really. Generally keep it pretty simple.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 PM

This might sound stupid or at least counterintuitive, but I’ve had some of my best fishing ever pulling a great big wire leader that must be 24-30” long roughly. I bought them by accident not realizing how big they were and have never caught so many fish and so many BIG fish in all my life.

Pike, Walleye and Rainbows.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 PM

Friend mine turned me on to piano wire and make my own. Works good can make lead any length u want. I tend toward the larger gauges of it. Thin snare wire works also, tryed that out. I just twist a loop on one end for line and other end I thread though my spoon and twist up thight good to go. Haven't had a twist come undone yet
Old 03-31-2020, 07:36 PM

Default Leaders for pike/ walleye fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I've had good luck with Seaguar leader material as far as no bite offs.
Tie my own quick strike rigs with it as well.

With that said there are not a lot of cases where I'll use any leader if targeting walleye in pike infested waters. Generally just live dangerously and hope for the best. Trolling cranks and throwing swimbaits, spoons ya I'll throw a leader on as the hooks are generally more expensive but that's about it really. Generally keep it pretty simple.

x2 with Seaguar leader material, I use #80 and the walleye don’t seem to shy away too much. Not finesse fishing by any means but keeps me from losing expensive gear. Heard of guys even tying their own Lindy rigs with fluorocarbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Only potential issue I see is using that green anchor rope in clear water. Otherwise I'm sure it compares similarly.
My Big game leaders are clear. Mostly I tend to use mono or fouro for fishing bait, and steel when fishing lures.

Wondering how low test anyone had tried going with flouro? Could a person get away with using 12- 15 lb test if they were careful to keep it in good shape? Considering just tying about 6' of as low test flouro as I can get away with onto my main line, and trimming it back as needed whenever I catch a pike.

I mean, the odd time I've run straight mono and never got bitten off even while catching lots of pike. Then other days one doesn't even feel the bite, the line just go's slack and you hope the poor bugger doesn't have your lure clogging up his throat for the next couple weeks.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Just a caution with the “Knot 2 Kinky” pre-made leaders, I have had them break where the loop is formed for the swivel and clip. It’s happened more than once, which was enough for me to find another brand of pre-made leader.

The Knot 2 Kinky wire itself is good. I use it for tying a lot of pike flies and trailer hooks.

x2 on the knot 2 kinky pre mades, I had failures at the loop as well as the clasp. Too expensive to fail like that, Been making my own ever since. Buy yourself some crimps, leader material and don’t look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 10:02 PM

Default Best knot for Fluorocarbon leader to braid mainline

What knot do you recommend for connecting the fluorocarbon leader to the braid mainline?
Old 03-31-2020, 10:26 PM

I don't personally connect flouro leader material to braid but if connecting flouro line to braid I use a uni to uni knot. Never failed me. I see a lot guys going to the FG knot. Might work slick but like heck I"m going to adopt that contraption if I haven't had a knot failuire to date.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:28 PM

I use the Alberto knot. It’s strong and slim enough to come through the guides without issue if your leader is a tad long.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emallard View Post
What knot do you recommend for connecting the fluorocarbon leader to the braid mainline?
The PR bobbin knot is the one you want to use to connect your leader to your braid. Check it out on YouTube. I’m at work otherwise I would take a picture of one. I tie mine much shorter then you’ll see on YouTube and have never had one fail, it’s a knot with 100% strength.

The FG is a distant second choice.

Both will easily cast and slip through guides without even noticing it.

I rarely use any wire because the water is to clear and the fish can see to well over here but Spanish mackerel have nasty dentures. When I do use wire it’s 60lb single strand attached to the hook with a haywire twist and to the leader via an Albright knot.

In nearly 40 years fishing in Alberta I never used anything heavier then 8lb mono fishing pike and honestly can’t remember the last time one cut me off but obviously you’re mileage has differed.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:00 AM

My walleye rods all get 15lb braid and 12lb fluoro leaders....the pike stuff is case by case. I use everything from steel to titanium to fluoro usually 80lb.
That said I've caught plenty of big 15+lb pike on my walleye setups and been lucky.
Ice fishing I run 20lb fluoro leaders on everything unless going after really picky walleye then I'll go down to 10lb. Direct tie double uni line to line and single uni at the lure. Again I've hauled up lots of big pike and Lakers like this and no issues.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I still go with metal leaders when targeting sharp toothed critters....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...