Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2024, 11:50 AM

Default Put and Take Thread

The Rosebridge recycle centre by Morinville gave me an idea. They have a large covered shed where you can put good for reuse things that anyone who wants them can pickup and take with them. You can look around for stuff of use to you while dropping stuff off. Have seen garden tools, well barrows, fully functional lamps, furniture in real good shape etc.

What do you guys think of having a thread like that.

I will start it off to see if there is interest. I have a top quality metal King Size bedframe with centre support and the legs inset so you don't stub a toe on them. New they are worth about 300 bucks. Free to whoever can use it and wants to pick it up in the Edmonton area.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:04 PM

Great idea. I’ve got a ladies small Joe rocket motorcycle riding jacket that my daughter outgrew for when she would come for rides with me. Calahoo area.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:29 PM

Default free

I too like the idea, I have a couple pairs of boots to donate to who can use them... first pair is a ladies Baffin winter boots.. Size 9 ... men's Tech8 motocross boots, like new, size 10
Old 01-16-2024, 01:32 PM

Good thread Dean, I like the idea of passing on things we no longer need (and are still in good condition), to those who can use it.

I expect there will be a few Oilers jerseys up for grabs after the first round of playoffs, if not before...

Edit: Dean, what do you think about putting this as a sticky thread in the Buy & Sell, Misc section, so it's easy to find and check out for everyone without searching?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-16-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:41 AM

Default Yay Dean!

I like it! I have some camo hunting clothing my kids have outgrown. I will collect it and post it.
Vance
Old 01-17-2024, 09:59 AM

I think it should be a go. No money involved, as long as it still has some useful life left. You pick it up and go
Old 01-17-2024, 03:23 PM

Question Gotta ask- workload question

Would a dedicated thread that everyone used be more, or less work for the mods than simply listing items in individual threads? As it works now, an item/thread in any for sale section cannot be responded to, or create drama. It can only be discussed via PM, and when the seller notifies the mods, the entire thread is deleted.
As put forward, the Put & Take thread would allow discussion/drama, and as items were spoken for, would require individual posts to be flagged for deletion.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2024, 03:28 PM

If this thread gets traction and there is sufficient interest, we will figure out the best place to put it so that it is a benefit to the AO community. I'm not entirely sure what that would look like, but we can discuss it and make it as accessible as possible. I would expect PMs to claim items would work, and as items are claimed, we can delete individual posts. We will figure something out, if there is enough interest.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-17-2024, 03:55 PM

Great idea much rather pass things to like minded outdoorsmen then list them
For free on Kijiji and deal with all the associated headaches.
Old 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM

I believe this is a very good idea Dean...but.

Folks living in cities, or close to them, would no doubt be a benefit.

Many of us live in the sticks, like me, and I'm sure many others.

May be a tad challenging for folks to drive to these far out locations, or me going there, unless it is a great giveaway.

But as stated...great idea! Thanx bud.

Just adding this for thoughts as suggested...
Old 01-17-2024, 06:02 PM

Great idea and already have a few ideas of what I could give away to fellow outdoorsmen.
Old 01-17-2024, 06:18 PM

Rocky had a very similar building at the transfer station. Was a fantastic idea and a lot of less than fortunate people benefited from it. But as with anything good, some people took advantage of the opportunity. Hoarders lined up and took anything of value and was later sold on buy and sell sites or large yard sales. A lady down the street from us bragged about funding her vacations to the Caribbean from the proceeds . As Covid took hold of the town it was conveniently shut down and highly doubt that it will reopen.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:44 PM

Just saying... 3 or 4 years ago I was giving a few things away to a young outdoorsmen on this forum. I was wanting to give the items to a young person that maybe couldn't afford to buy such items. I had good responses and decided one young fellow that contacted me would be a good recipent. I was sad that when we met his dad was driving a $70K car and both were dressed in designer clothes. I felt taken advantage of. I am certain the boy's father could afford anything the boy needed.

Another time I offered to donate a couple brand new conibear traps to a new young trapper. When I met the guy who responded to me it turned out he was a 35 year old man that worked for the oilpatch in Nisku. Because I had met up with these people I did give them the items because of my honor but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Be sure you just give any items without preconceived notions of who deserves such items. Screen who deserves the items as good as possible if you want certain people to get the items.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-18-2024, 06:35 AM

My personal opinion, I don't care if a guy has a ton of money, he is welcome to what I am giving away. Far better for someone to put it to use than for it to end up in the landfill. We give a lot of stuff to family and friends. It is good quality stuff in great shape. If I wanted to take the time it could all easily be sold on Kijiji. Everyone of them could easily afford to buy it themselves, but why do that when I have stuff I no longer need and can't be bothered selling.

I feel the same way about people taking stuff from the put and takes and reselling them. If the shed wasn't there that stuff would have gone straight into the landfill. If they have the time and interest to put in that effort, works for me. Again, a whole bunch of usable stuff finds a purpose and doesn't end up in the landfill. Someone actually makes a few bucks for the work they put in repurposing and re-homing useful stuff.

To me, this is all about doing what we each can to reduce, reuse, repurpose. It also helps out others. Individually, not much effect, collectively, big impacts.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:07 AM

I have a couple of cats to give away.

Back where I grew up there was a local radio show for 2 hours every weekday called Potpourri. People would call in with stuff to give away, kittens, puppies, chickens, horses, windows, car parts, appliances, clothing, sporting goods, you name it, to give away. Questions like who can fix this or that, where can I get something, labour trades, social notices. People would leave messages for others who didn't have home phones, or weren't near one, wives calling in to tell their husbands to turn around they forgot their lunch, people needing to catch a ride. A mixture of everything, hence the name Potpourri. Program ran for over 20 years, busiest most listened to program on am radio. Long before cell phones and internet.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

Back where I grew up there was a local radio show for 2 hours every weekday called Potpourri. People would call in with stuff to give away, kittens, puppies, chickens, horses, windows, car parts, appliances, clothing, sporting goods, you name it, to give away. Questions like who can fix this or that, where can I get something, labour trades, social notices. People would leave messages for others who didn't have home phones, or weren't near one, wives calling in to tell their husbands to turn around they forgot their lunch, people needing to catch a ride. A mixture of everything, hence the name Potpourri. Program ran for over 20 years, busiest most listened to program on am radio. Long before cell phones and internet.
In my hometown it was called swap-shop
Old 01-18-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post

610 CKYL in peace river Tradio!!! Still runs I believe!
Old 01-18-2024, 07:29 AM

1270 CHAT AM now 96.4 FM used to run swap shop back in the day. Could be funny at times.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:26 AM

I have a set of youth chest waders size 4 boot. My daughter wore them once then outgrew them. Camo coloured. Anyone wants them PM. I'm in Edmonton.

BW

Well that didn't take long, these waders are gone. I'll have to see what else I have.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 01-18-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertajeff View Post
610 CKYL in peace river Tradio!!! Still runs I believe!
Hehe...remember that when I was up there. Kinda liked it...
Old 01-18-2024, 09:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
My personal opinion, I don't care if a guy has a ton of money, he is welcome to what I am giving away. Far better for someone to put it to use than for it to end up in the landfill. We give a lot of stuff to family and friends. It is good quality stuff in great shape. If I wanted to take the time it could all easily be sold on Kijiji. Everyone of them could easily afford to buy it themselves, but why do that when I have stuff I no longer need and can't be bothered selling.

I feel the same way about people taking stuff from the put and takes and reselling them. If the shed wasn't there that stuff would have gone straight into the landfill. If they have the time and interest to put in that effort, works for me. Again, a whole bunch of usable stuff finds a purpose and doesn't end up in the landfill. Someone actually makes a few bucks for the work they put in repurposing and re-homing useful stuff.

To me, this is all about doing what we each can to reduce, reuse, repurpose. It also helps out others. Individually, not much effect, collectively, big impacts.
Agreed... I have given stuff away to both people in need as well as people who simply had use for it even though they could have paid. I don't really care so long as the good are out of my hands and someone has use for them. Only thing that would bug me is someone pretending to be something they are not.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-18-2024, 09:58 AM

I'd like to find a person that has or knows where there are 71/72 Pintos. Parts cars. (junk)

Need a few parts.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

I just post up locally "free" and someone always shows up, some even attempting to pay but that's not the reason I said "free"!

Even help ya load it up too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-27-2024, 07:50 AM

So two things, I still have the King size bed frame available and wondering if anyone else had takers for the the stuff they posted. Also, any others with stuff to add. Going to put the bed frame on Kijiji this morning for $50 and will donate the cash to the Salvation Army.
Old 01-27-2024, 07:55 AM

Quote:
So two things, I still have the King size bed frame available and wondering if anyone else had takers for the the stuff they posted. Also, any others with stuff to add. Going to put the bed frame on Kijiji this morning for $50 and will donate the cash to the Salvation Army.
The waders I posted went last Saturday. Going to be used again.

Will be looking through the garage for other things to post up.

BW
Old 01-28-2024, 08:25 AM

King size Bed frame is spoken for. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:06 AM

When we get back from holidays this coming week I will probably have an item or two to list here.
Old 01-28-2024, 12:07 PM

Default Wedco Gas Can Parts

Wondering if anyone would have some spare Wedco gas can parts. Mainly looking for the centre caps, they come in black, yellow and clear, for the 84002 and 84004 cans. Caps also go by T-102 as well. Same part. They seal off the spout hole. Have lots of O rings, but missing a couple of the caps sealing disks themselves.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:52 AM

Quote:

Wondering if anyone would have some spare Wedco gas can parts. Mainly looking for the centre caps, they come in black, yellow and clear, for the 84002 and 84004 cans. Caps also go by T-102 as well. Same part. They seal off the spout hole. Have lots of O rings, but missing a couple of the caps sealing disks themselves.
I'd be happy to buy all these from you. Shoot me a PM ?
Old 01-29-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I'd be happy to buy all these from you. Shoot me a PM ?
That was the take side of the thread, I am looking for pieces I am missing. I looked all over and only place that seems to have any is some used on Ebay. Cheaper to buy new Jerry Cans or buy old complete cans than to buy the parts. This is that bit about reusing stuff, rather than throw out perfectly good cans, I can put them back in service if I can find a couple of sealing disks. O rings are easy to come buy, the actual parts aren't anymore.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-29-2024 at 07:53 AM.