Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Default 408 Elk still worth pursuing this late?

Despite copious amounts of sweat, worn out boots, and several dawn to dusk days of crawling up and down mountains in search of elk, I still have a tag in my pocket. Truth be told, the hunt should have ended in the first half-hour of opening day. I cow called a nice bull from across the Highway in the Park, who snuck up on us and we only noticed him once he was 15yds away! He stood behind an alder bush lifting his head up and down and we couldn't get a clear view of his rack in order to count 6 points. I was 90% sure he was legal, but before we could get a definite count he winded us and took off down the mountain. Another AO member was driving the highway around that same time and confirmed that a nice 6x6 had crossed the highway My buddy who has never hunted before, is now hooked for life!
My question is this: Now that the ruts are basically over, should I focus on my mule deer and whitetail tags in another area? Anyone who has hunted 408 knows it can be challenging to hunt. The parks encompass many of the prime areas where the elk seem to rut (not saying all, just many). In full rut it seemed a great strategy to locate them near a park boundary and call out a bull into a legal hunting area. Is it still possible/likely this late in the season? I know alot of hunters sit in their trucks along the highway waiting to get lucky when a herd crosses. I have zero interest in that style of hunting.
I've had a blast hunting there so far. Hiked into many new areas I haven't been yet, and seen tons of nice animals of all kinds. That is a successful season in my books, but it sure would be nice to have a tasty bull in the freezer...
Any opinions/advice welcome! This is my third year hunting, and first time chasing elk on my own.
P.S. Big thanks to Pottymouth for his helpful advice so far!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Always worth getting out there and looking for elk and the only way to kill one is to be out there doing it. In my opuinion its worth spending the time right until the end of your season if you want to be successful and put one on the ground.

Cold weather and snow can do some great things to animals in the mountains!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks Rack. In your opinion does bugling/cow calling work for locating bulls this late in the season? I'm definitely not giving up. A trip is planned for this weekend.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

YES it does, I was calling in a Bull last year in the last week of October.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Last year I saw a beauty... 370-380 on october 29 quite a ways out of the park. I didn't have the draw and my cousim who did wasn't with me. Ha ha tried to be nice and tell some other guys I had met in there to go get him and they didn't believe me... they had only seen the five pointer with the cows but I saw the big guy just over the ridge from them. ha ha ha I couldn't convince them... hope he's still there and you find him
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 PM

come on your not giving up that easy !! Actually I was on the spray side last saturday and they were still screamin , and I seen 2 legal bulls standing on the side of the road eating at like 9 in the morning !! got good pics too , shoot me a pm and I will tell ya where they were !!

mamba,
Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks Guys! Heck no I'm not giving up!! I'll take any excuse to get into that majestic Kananaskis Valley. I just love being out there! I was more curious about tactics this time of year. I don't want to scare off the bulls with too much bugling if they're fought out and looking to rest. I'll keep experimenting. I love hunting during the rut because they are so vocal, and it's so exciting to call them especially in those mountains.
I realize that hunting is all about time invested. Some get lucky, but most have to earn it. I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not averse to hard work by any stretch!
Hope to post some pics of an elk soon...
Happy hunting to all. Mamba, PM on the way...