Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 08:04 AM

Default Beaver Lake Access

Folks,

Looks like someone is going to have to fix the access road, Seems like the land owner, Public Lands or ESRD or the ACA can't decide who is responsible so I have a started to get info together for budget numbers required for funding applications. If I get the project funded, I'll act a general contractor.

Here is the scope of work that I "think" needs done.

1) reshape road and fill holes.

2) gravel boat trailer area

3) rebuild launch pad area with pit run, pack and top with gravel. The launch pad is to be extended 6' into water and 10' onto the land.

4) drill a number of post holes and install posts for sign replacement.

5) make new signage and install.

Is there anything else that you see needs done?

And as funding agencies generally don't release funds till after January 1, when should the work be done? I suspect the road work will take 2 days and access will not be allowed during this time as equipment will be working.

Regards,

Don

Last edited by Don Andersen; 10-15-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM

As this project is taking place on Govt land and no one accepts responsibility, getting permission to do things may be an adventure.

Been through this type of crap before. One project took permissions from three levels of Govt, two provincial agencies and two federal agencies plus adjoining landowners.

Don
Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Don,

Your work and efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

Though our yearly Fall trips down that way haven't happened for a couple years, thanks to the countless hours of effort by you and others there are still some good lakes to fish down around Rocky.

I know it's a pipe dream but another QF close to the Edmonton area would be great.

Rocky Mountain house.jpg

Stan
Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
As this project is taking place on Govt land and no one accepts responsibility, getting permission to do things may be an adventure.

Been through this type of crap before. One project took permissions from three levels of Govt, two provincial agencies and two federal agencies plus adjoining landowners.

Don
Should be interesting, don't forget to get Public Lands Act and Water Act authorizations which can be time consuming and costly depending on the the level of information require by the regulator.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Should be interesting, don't forget to get Public Lands Act and Water Act authorizations which can be time consuming and costly depending on the the level of information require by the regulator.
Ya' - I expect permissions will be required from:

1) Public Lands Alberta
2) Sustainable Resources Alberta
3) Environment Alberta
4) Fisheries and Oceans
5) Canadian Coast Guard
6) plus various dicky bird, yogurt eater, hunter, fisherman organizations who may or may not ever been there.

Been the the route before. Generally takes 4>6 months for permits for 1 day of work.

Don
Old 10-18-2017, 03:13 PM

You forgot your wife!
Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
You forgot your wife!
NOT FOR A SINGLE MINUTE. SHE WON't ALLOW IT.

Don
Old 10-20-2017, 01:15 PM

My uncle works for a county and I knew he would be involved in these types of things so I asked him how it usually works. Road maintenance should be the county's responsibility since there is no provincial park etc. Little roads/accesses like this are extremely low priority for these counties so they usually get forgot about/ignored.

What he recommended is to talk to the county and ask them if they can fix the road up a bit. If they say not in the budget then offer to fund it(via the sources you were thinking of) and they should agree to it then. Doesn't sound like any further permissions etc would be required since they are the ones that are supposed to take care of it anyways.

Modifying the boat launch gets a lot more involved and would require permits
and permission etc. Having been there this year I don't think it is necessary though. That little lake doesn't need a launch capable of big trailered boats and it already has a better launch then many other of our lakes so I would leave it as is.

If you haven't already talked to the county that is where I would start. You might be able to avoid a lot of these headaches although might have to settle for a bit less then you were originally hoping for.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 PM

RavYak,

When I did the work on Ironside Pond, Clearwater County was very supportive. They provided $5,000 in cash and a further $5,000 "in kind" effort.
There is a whole list of supporters that will be canvassed for $'s or in kind efforts. Plus, I fully intend to ask the Calgary/Red Deer and surrounding residents to help with $'s. After all, perhaps 1/2 of all visitors are from Calgary.
I am in the process of requiring permissions from the various stakeholders.
While the launch is not yet completely cratered, there are stumps sticking up through the gravel. Most of the gravel has been shoved down due to boat trailers.
The lake level has dropped approximately 18" vertically exposing the issues.

Regards,

Don