Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Default Which power auger? - opinions needed

Just had some questions and wanted to hear some opinions with power augers. First off what brands do we see the most of around here... jiffy, strikemaster, eskimo, the odd nils and husqvarna? I have run an eskimo for about 5 years now.( 1.2hp stingray) And still to this day i dont have a single complaint about it. Priced GREAT, its light, it starts extremely easy EVERYTIME within the second pull. Although a small 1.2hp it has never hestitated or bogged down going through any thickness of ice. just endless good things to say about it. then this season my old man got an eskimos shark Z51 10''. And again I was really impressed. That 51cc flies through everything. easy starting ( bit heavier ) and again a very good price that the other brands cant seem to compete with.

Also this season I won a strikemaster lazer mag 2 1/2hp auger at the jackfish lake derby. And this auger blew my mind how light it was, how fast it was, and how good it sounded, and again the ease of starting was there. Never use to be a big fan of the strike masters with how much plastic they use but performance wise, although ive only used it a handful of times, very very impressive.

That brings us to jiffy. I use to work a wholesale sports and cant tell you how many jiffy augers came back every season let it be for mashed gears, problems cutting, rattling noises in the gear box etc etc. countless. never saw one eskimo come back and only one strikemaster due to the pull cords coiled spring was broken. Now i realize that wholesale isnt a warranty repair center and some have gone to lawn mower hospital or straight back to the manufacturer but even so that could only mean that many more jiffys were being sent to those places as well as back to wholesale. Seeing so many problems with them has really turned me off of jiffy. but then i talk some guys and they say have had there jiffy for 30 years and still running better than new? i guess this is my question, whose running jiffy's and what do ya think of them? i also understand that they are extremely finicky augers. but when you get a good one they really fly. ive yet to have personal experience running one but i know they are a very popular brand name for augers. and im trying to figure out why.