Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default Caroline area, fishing and camping.

Next week I'm headed out to the Caroline area for a week for some fishing and camping with the family. My wife likes fishing the lakes and I want to hit a few streams. I see lots of the water out there is C&R which I enjoy but I wouldnt mind putting togeather a meal or two during the week. Any suggestions?

We are camping out of a small travel trailer and prefer not to stay in campgrounds, I know its a long shot getting advice on nice places to camp but I assure any who would be so inclined that my wife and I are very low impact campers, far lower than most in my experience. Dont have to worry about us taking up permanent residence in your favorite spot either, we wont be back in the area for a long time.

As well is there anything I should stock up on in the way of flies? I have a decent supply of the basics... Adams, EHC's, stimulators and ants etc... and another box of nymphs and streamers of about the same flavor, anything I should pick up before heading out to the area for a week? Thanks for any help.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM

for a lake to camp at phyllis lake is great, can keep a couple fish and its filled with small stocked trout and the odd brooder. in my experiences i can easily catch 15+ fish a day there if im out long enough, probably more if you get it just right. another lake closeby is burnstick which has pike walleye and perch if you want to go on a bigger lake. if you want to drive away you can head to strubel or mitchel which are closer to rocky and a bit better fishing for better eating fish. i got no clue for streams near there so hopefully somebody else will help you out there. good luck with wherever you go!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

I'm going to head pretty far into the foothils, probably going to try and fish the Clearwater and hopefully make it up to Ram River. Any other places I should be sure to try while I'm out there?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM

elk creek in the 7mile flats is fun with a flyrod, lots of small ones and the odd decent one in the deeper pools, if you are doing the clearwater bring a good assortment of wooly buggers, the bulls love these. i found purple to be one of the best colors. Peppers lake has nice brookies and you can just fish from shore at that lake.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM

The Raven and Stauffer are always a challenging and fun time!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 PM

can't go wrong with the clearwater river! burnstick lake isn't bad either, and the campgrounds aren't too bad. and you can keep five perch and one pike over 63cm, so it's not terrible. there's swan lake about fourty minutes from caroline which has lake and brown trout and pike in it, as well as nice campsites.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Not big on fishing, but I know the area. If you are going west, there is a trout pond north of seven mile flats on the trunk road.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'm going to head pretty far into the foothils, probably going to try and fish the Clearwater and hopefully make it up to Ram River. Any other places I should be sure to try while I'm out there?
Stop at every little creek on your way from the clearwater to the ram. Check out peppers on your way up and also elk creek pond right beside the trunk rd.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Banned

Thanks, just to double check is the cutthroat sizew limit 35 cm now? Been a long time since I fished for cuts, realy looking forward to catching one again. All the most beautifull places I've fished gave me cuts so I have alot of great memories involving them.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 PM

If you go west of Caroline to the burntstick lake road and head south for 8 miles roughly you will go past Burntstick lake and there is a road that goes west (right at the power lines running east west) there are plenty of places to camp and both burnstick and beaver lake are close and plenty of little creeks further west off of rig street